1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

microwave blows fuses

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by new loader, Mar 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new loader

new loader Member

I have a microwave that periodically blows the internal fuse. A nuisance to change. Can I go from 15A to 20A fuse without much danger of disaster?

2. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Are you sure you are replacing the fuse with the proper type, and not one that appears to look the same?

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

If its a fuse in the Microwave I think that it is shorting out somewhere. They wouldn't sell it with too small of a fuse.

I doubt anything catastrophic would happen because your house breaker would kick if it starts drawing too much juice.

It may be time for a new microwave.

Nick

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Don't increase the amperage of fuses and defeat their purpose. Microwaves are cheap. Housefires and lives aren't.

-Gary

5. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

What Gary said.

It's blowing fuses for a reason and using an oversized fuse is a bad idea. It probably would trip the breaker if it shorted out, but that doesn't mean that a fire hasn't already taken hold.

Time for a new one.

Dave

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When a microwave fries itself an incredible amount of smoke is emitted, and (ask me) it's a real PITA to clean up.

HM

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

8. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

There is not only the amperage rating but the time it takes for a fuse to blow. Replacing a blown time delay (Slow Blow) fuse with a "Fast blow" could have the fast blow fuse opening up on a short term surge that the slow blow is in place to compensate for. There is also a heat sinking element to fuse construction. Some fuses have a ceramic body to provide an ability to operate at a higher temperature without opening the fuse link because internal heat is isolated from the external heat.

Make sure you have the correct TYPE of fuse with the correct AMPERAGE rating. Your problem may simply be a fuse with a proper amperage rating but an incorrect thermal and/or slow blow design.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

New Loader, I have 2 questions for you. l) Did you replace the simple overhead fan with small light for the microwave??? How many other household items are on the same breaker??? Its possible the simple fan hood that you replaced with the micro just is not getting what it needs for powder. Run OK sometimes until other items are turn on, on the same line thus blowing the fuse!!! First find out how many amps your micro wave needs. Next find out how many other item are on the same breaker. Then add the amps up and you'll know why. You may have a bad micro or you may need to run a new seperate line to it for the power it really needs. Have a licenced electrican do the work if you do not feel like you can do it or if you are unsure about something. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What is they say you can't fix.....Ummmm nevermind.....

11. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Microwaves have in them a power capacitor that if not discharged properly can kill you even with the unit unplugged. The internal components should only be serviced by a person trained to do so. Jimmy Borum

12. dhip

dhip Active Member

I agree,replace it,Heck Wally World sells them cheap enough.

Doug H.

13. new loader

new loader Member

Looks like 221 pyrdek are on the right track. The replacement fuse they sold me appears to be the same, but I got my magnifying glass out to read it and they are incorrect. New (correct) fuse seems to be holding up OK for now. Thanks to all who offered advice.

14. Ringneck

Ringneck TS Member

Do not replace the fuse with one of higher amp rating, most units intended for home use are equipped with a 10amp fuse designated 10 amp MWO, this is a special type intended for microwave ovens. Your problem is probably due to a worn/defective door switch which is designed with a "crowbar circuit" intended to blow the fuse if door switch malfunctions. It is designed in this way to prevent the unit from operating with the door open

15. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I had a microwave that would throw the main for that circuit which was a real annoyance. I finally started considering just what we were doing when it happened and determined it was on the same circuit as a broiler/toaster/baker unit and the breaker would go only when the two items were operated at the same time - ala Pull & Mark. I finally convinced the wife to do one at a time or expect to be annoyed - end of problem.......breakemall

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Most Microwaves require a special fuse. If it continues to fail, then it's usually easier to replace the microwave. Do not EVER try to use a different fuse or one of a higher rating. Also, Microwaves need to be assembled correctly, since they can "leak". Not usually a hazard unless you are standing right next to it.

17. Soot Them All

Soot Them All Active Member

As the microwave ages the door will start to sag a little, this messes with the door switch interlock and it will short every now and then, on most microwaves the switch assembly costs more than the whole unit, when this interlock switch keeps popping a fuse it's time for a new microwave. Do not put in a bigger fuse if you like your kitchen as it is.

retired appliance tech, steve...

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

If you don't have the $30 for a new microwave just say so, I'm sure we can all pitch in to buy you one rather than have you nuke yourself.

19. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

way back, when was working on things like this, sometimes the problem is in the door latch, once the problem was the lady's house was infested with cock roaches and as they crawled around on the inside of the unit, they came across two live terminals and shorted enough to blow the internal fuse....

20. new loader

new loader Member

For anybody interested, here is an update:
    Ringneck & Soot them All have diagnosed the problem. The replacement fuse has been working fine so far, but every failure has been when the door is opened. Open the door, fuse pops. Occasionally, every once in a while, just enough to be aggravating. The unit is a micro/convection combo unit that fits into the cabinet with a trim piece. Very expensive outfit when it was new, hardly a $30 replacement. The problem with replacement is that the new ones do not fit the hole and will require woodwork to fit. It is a lot easier to keep the old one going than to redo the cabinet.

newloader_2008_03036.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
fuse to blow on a microwave goldstar
do microwaves use fast blow or slow blow fuses
fast blow or slow blow fuse for microwave

microwave blowing fuses

microwave blows internal fuse
microwave blows up
microwave ovens use fast or slow blow fuse
what fuse for a microwave oven a fast or slow blow