1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Michigan's Big 9 SC Destroyed by Fire

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MTA Tom, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's good news no one was hurt, but what a loss for Michigan trapshooting. This was a great clubhouse in a really beautiful setting.

2. GoDawgs

GoDawgs Member

Really sorry to hear about this. :-(

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That is really sad. I hope they are able to rebuild.

4. Be-rad1100

Be-rad1100 TS Member

Sorry to see this happen, I sure am glad no one got hurt.

Best wishes,
    Brad

5. alf174

alf174 Member

Bummer but good thing it was insured.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Please tell me frying hamburgers had nothing to do with this.

7. Shoot n Holler

Shoot n Holler Active Member

My thoughts are with the big 9. Great club sorry for your loss. The people make that club. Thats why they will rebuild and always be a great club with or without a club house

Mark

8. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Without trying to second guess the boots on the ground - it does not appear there was any type of interior attack being performed by the fire department. The dept. members outside all seem to have on self contained breathing apparatus but not necessary if they are outside breathing ambient air. Pouring water on the fire from the outside only results in putting the fire out when it runs out of fuel (the building and contents ) to consume.

Fire has a devasting affect - it's not just the building. It's the contents or memorabila i.e. pictures, plaques, wall decorations - that are lost to the smoke and water damage that occurs even if the building is not consumed by the actual fire. That being said I hope no one was injured.

I hope the building and contents were sufficiently insured - and rebuilding will occur without a financial loss.

amboy49

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Putting water on from the outside is what Volunteer Fire Departments do best!

GS

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

Putting water on the outside is good enough if no one is in danger. It would be stupid to "attack" a fire if the only risk is to property and mementos. Better a volunteer department that does something to having nothing.

Insurance will cover the building and trinkets can be replaced.

Don Verna

PS And NO - I am not a volunteer fireman.

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sometimes its best that the Fire Dept didn't attack it from inside and leave it as a repairable building, this way they will Bulldoze it and start over with a new and improved version ... Sometimes they do the people a favor and just contain the fire rather than risk life and limb trying to put it out ... You are right about the SCBA though, not needed if you are not going to enter the building ... Yes, I am a former Fire Fighter/Paramedic, full time not paid on call ... I also worked search and rescue which means I had to go inside of the burning buildings if it was reported that someone might be in them ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

Was there ammo stored in that club house? Maybe they didn't want to go inside due to the fear of getting caught in a ammo explosion (as unlikely as that is to happen).

13. crusha

crusha TS Member

Probably just wasn't an all-white club.

14. Feist Hunter

Feist Hunter TS Member

Fennville Rod and Gun Club in Fennville MI sends it`s regrets and wishes The BIG 9 a speedy recovery!

15. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

Sorry to hear about this except for the mementos the building can be replaced. I have never been to this club but i'm sure it will be even nicer when it gets rebuilt. As for midalike one of the rules of firefighting either paid or volunteer is you should never have fire above, below, or behind you. This fire was in the attic so you need to ask yourself what is ones life worth.

16. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Git er put back boys. I have shot many a target there, good group of guys and I think my name is on one or two of those plaques so we will just have to start over.

JJ should be on here before long and giving us an update.

Don

17. Roger Brenner

Roger Brenner Member

I am sure with the 50+ mph wind gust Friday evening that was one heck of a fire to battle. Good luck with your rebuild,

All the best, Roger

18. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Wonder why noone yanked the electric meter?

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

How do you know the power company didn't cut the power off at the pole?

20. Ohio Bob

Ohio Bob Member

The Big 9 boys are a bunch of really nice guys (and gals). I hope they can recover quickly. Like Big Don, I've shot many targets there and it's a good place to have some fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.