Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michigan State Shoot

2K views 63 replies 27 participants last post by  midalake 
#1 ·
Fun was had by all except the vendors, (very few were there). Sence parking was allowed behind Trap #3 a,b,c,and d,it has become a dust bowl. I hope with the New delegates and Prez this club will begin to move forward again. Oh, and another thing , I had to drive 200 miles with the waste products( if you know what I mean) still in the tanks because the dump station was full Sunday at 4:00 pm. Pretty poor planning. Somebody could have checked to make sure they were M.T.

#3 ·
The only thing wrong with the dump station being fine at 7:00 p.m., a lot of people left already. Still think it was poor planning on Tom's part, if you want to give him some of the credit for this shoot. I think it was a better place when Mr. Munson was running the show.

#4 ·
The only thing wrong with the dump station being fine at 7:00 p.m., a lot of people left already. Still think it was poor planning on Tom's part, if you want to give him some of the credit for this shoot. I think it was a better place when Mr. Munson was running the show. There was so little time between events I didn't have time to get a sandwich, and I'm dibetic. There should only be 3 events a day instead of 4. Give people a little time to walk around and talk, OR get something to eat, better yet, go to vendors row.

#5 ·
I only shot on Friday and Saturday, the weather was almost to perfect. Friday I got on early squads for singles and handicap and had plenty to time to eat, visit and even take a nap in my car between events. Squad 11 out of 110 worked great for me. I also had plenty of time before I shot doubles on Friday. Friday only had 3 events, just right 100/100/50dbls.
Saturday I did the same, second group out, shot my third 100 and again had plenty of time between events to eat, visit and nap. I was done by 1pm and the took off for home beofore the cap's event started. Sat. only had 3 events also, 200 singles and 100 cap's
I love Mason, no down time between events, even the doubles were set up and running in a very short period of time. I like a club that is well organized, well run and just plain fun to shoot at, Mason is this kind of club.

#7 ·
If you would have been there for the whole shoot you would know what I am talking about. I know it was fine at the end of the week when the weekend worriors got there,I'm talking about the beginning of the week when there was only 30 plus squads and was shooting 400 birds a day with no turn around time. I believe they should clear all the fields before starting the next event instead of just the first two fields, this will give you a little more turn around time between events at the beginning of the week, also.

#8 ·
T-421: When was Munson in charge? Hasn't been lately. Did anyone bother to tell Rick?? That waste is pumped to the lagoon, could it have been a popped breaker, pump off or another simple problem.

The speed of the program in mid-week was Mr. Stewart's call and I assure you he got an ear full from many shooters.

Don

#11 ·
To trapshooter421,where was vendors row? I must have missed it!!!!..lol I agree the turn around time during the week left little time to eat and who wants to gulp something down just before they have to shoot again? I realize that labor is a concern,but when you dont give the customer what they want in time you will soon not need the labor.Besides I'm sure it would have added to the business of the food vendor that I've been told we may have already lost.Although I feel that wont be much of a loss as $6.50 for a sub and then having them close before the shooting even ended pretty much shows a lack of concern anyway.I kinda thought the shoot could have been renamed the Michigan Plaque Shoot!!!..lol .Anybody care to voice their opinion of all those plaques they gave out as trophys? On the positive side though we have two very good men joining the directors and expect to see things improve with their help.Sure would have been nice not to have to hear them call the next events shooters to the line before the previous one had finished though.But all in all Mason is still one of the best places to shoot and if they could just assign someone in charge of the trophys instead of relying on Linden Awards,get a good food vendor,attract more shooting vendors,and allow more time to patronize them,I'd be in heaven!!!

#12 ·
trapshooter421 & angie
You're right I was there only on Sat. and Sun. I had no knowledge of what went on before those days. My fault. I'm sure I would have been a little rushed also with the smaller numer of squads, but I try to pick my squads to give me some break time if possible.
I still find Mason one of the better places to shoot and I'd rather have a club be a little to efficient than unorganized and slow.

#13 ·
Michigan is one of my favorite places to shoot, and one big reason is their ability to run a shoot without delays.

At the GLG this year on the first day I was on the second or third wave out for singles and second wave out for handicap and went directly from my last trap of singles to my first trap of handicap and almost didn't make it in time. We were taking the line for our last 25 singles when they called the handicap to the line. Too fast?

Compare that with the last day, when everyone at my trap was complaining about how long it was taking to turn over doubles to handicap. We could see down the line that they were working on a trap (lots of people and carts out by the trap), so to me the reason for the delay was pretty obvious. Too slow?

Point is, no matter how you run it somebody's going to think you are not doing it right. If I have to choose, I'll take a shoot that's run too fast over a shoot that's run too slow any day of the week!

Trophies are never going to please everyone. I buy the tropies for our 3 times a year trap leagues and finding stuff to give that people haven't won before is a challenge. Anytime I win a trophy I figure somebody put some effort into choosing it, ordering it, making sure it got to the club on time so no matter how much I might not like it I'm certainly not going to complain about it.

Scott

#14 ·
The food vendor that is with us now has decided to end its relationship with us after the Fall Team Shoot. The board is in search for another food vendor.
The board is also going to try to get more vndors for our shoots next year. We are going to be handing out some information at the Grand and we will be talking to many vendors there to see if we could have them to travel to the Michigan grounds for our shooters.

Cat Reese/Meadows

#17 ·
.On a whole in Michigan State Shoot was run fine. The quick time between programs is fine when you get the proper squad for each event, no last squad on one event then the first squad on the next event. The only problem I could find is the lack of vendors and the kitchen. Lack of vendors seems that the price for vendors to do business at the shoot has gone up as to the amount of sells of goods. Vendors can't make money when it costs more to be at the shoot then they make selling goods. The restaurant there has become a joke. It use to be packed with shooters eating both inside and out. Who wants to pay $4.50 for a so-called Bar-B-Que, when to Turns out to be no more than a Manwich style sandwich. Also with $1.50 cup of coffee, I'll go without causing me to stay out of the restaurant, not buying anything to eat. It was at one time when you shot Singles and Handicap at the State Shoot, you got a ticket for a dinner after the shoot. Seems that this dinner was well attended. Also they had either a turkey or beef dinner at night for the people staying in the campgrounds. Now best for the campers to stay at their camper and cook for them self. What also happened to the outside Bar-B-Q? Who wants a sausage that has been cooked inside on the frying grill, then brought outside and warmed up

#19 ·
Yup I will second a food vendor change........$3.50 hotdog??? Come on. Other places have contacted church groups, Kiwanis clubs, Lion clubs and the such, these groups are looking for good fund raisers, and getting good [reasonable] food back will happen. Also more work needs to go into the trophies, they were cheap and disgusting for a state shoot!!!!! It is stuff like this that makes me want to just shoot 50 bird jackpot shoots........

GS

#21 ·
I am a vendor, and used to make the Great Lakes Grand and sometimes the State shoot. I find that it is just way too expensive to make it to these shoots.

The clubs have decided that vendors are a source of income rather than an attraction for shooters. Why do they feel that we should pay so much for a place to park???

With the gas prices as they are, it would cost me $400.00 to make the trip PLUS another $120.00 for rent to the club!! Just don't sell enough to show a profit for the work and time involved!! AND it always storms on the GLG!!

Another thing,, The prizes that these clubs have are sometimes less than
desireable. With $27.00 targets and a plaque for a prize,, where is the incentive to shoot?? I think a person should at least win their entry back if they win the event. Paul

#23 ·
To those who enjoy the lack of a break between events, here is something to think about. When you get to be older without the energy you have now, how do you believe you will feel about no opportunity for a bit of a rest between events?

Perhaps you are of the opinion, trapshooting is no place for the old guys--but where would you get sufficient shooters to hold an event?

Just food for thought from an 80year old duffer who may have been shooting trap longer than some of you are old. I certainly don't do it as well as I once did, and I certainly don't move near as fast as I once did, and the aches and pain are frequent companions. But the desire is there, and I will continue as long as I can---but I appreciate a bit of a break between 100's.

Shootalot!
Klem

#24 ·
Paul; The vendors paid $15 per day, that is less than what I had to pay to camp there. Let's do this no vending fee but if you camp there then you pay the same as everyone else. I also feel that if you come with a good product and a fair price you will make more than your $400 fuel bill.

Don

#25 ·
alf174

We do have solutions to the problems, but it seems nobody wants to listen, especially at 8:00 A.M. in the morning. That so called meeting could have been schuled a little later in the day. I think a evening meeting would be a lot more productive. I though vendors row was suppose to be on the west side of the restrooms, but half of the ones that were there, were on the east side of the restrooms, doesn't give people much incentive to walk down to the end on the west side of vendors row, now does it?

#26 ·
Everyone should consider the logistics of running such an event. Put your self in the BOD's shoes. Easy to complain, hard to remedy. Older shooters and the "Squad Nazi" should consider spreading their squads apart as much as practical. I shot Thurs. and Friday, and had time to visit between events on Friday. Thursday's 200 singles went faster than I thought they would, but the shootoff didn't start till 5:30, and they didn't waste much time. Who knows how long a shootoff can last? I appreciated the daylight shootoff, as I was fortunate enough to participate.

Great place to shoot, great people. Just needs a little "tweeking". Be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.