1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Michigan open carry

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slayer, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

The wife is starting to get a little nervous about all of the predators around the place up north here in MI. She picks 'shrooms by herself quite a bit and is wondering if she should maybe carry my 38 spec. with her. I say go for it, just obey the state carry laws. According to what I read, she can openly carry a handgun in the woods on her belt in a holster. Anyone have any experience with our states open carry laws or any brush with the law in this regard? Don't want to spend the money on cpl if we don't need to. Cheap retiree Bill

2. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

From what I found in 5 minutes research is that open carry in a rural setting should be permitted unless otherwise posted on private property. Open and concealed carry in a vehicle is legal only WITH a permit.

But please do not take my word for it. Contact the proper authority.

3. RSVP410

RSVP410 Member

You should also check with the DNR. While open carry is legal in general, it may be illegal to have a loaded centerfire gun in woods frequented by deer outside the hunting season. Probably not a problem but you would hate to give a Conservation Officer and excuse to make trouble. Good Luck.

Scott

4. hoot619

hoot619 Member

she can't carry your pistol ,period. If it was registered in her name she could. With a CPL permit you can carry anybody's pistol if it's registered. Ken U

5. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

What's this about guns being "registered?"

6. Mapper

Mapper Member

Ah Hippie, we have handgun registration up here in the Water Winter Wonderland.
    It has been such for many years. My Dad, an Ohio chief of police, was told not to bring a handgun to MIO meetings. He stopped going.

7. hoot619

hoot619 Member

every pistol or sidearm has to be registered to you in MI. You have to get a permit to buy from sheriff or police dept whatever. If you meet their standards you can get a sidearm. It will be registered in your name. You can't carry it in car etc has to be in trunk unloaded etc. Lot more to the law also. I have a CPL permit, makes things a lot easier to transport etc. Look it up,MI Government or whatever. Ken U

8. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Sure glad I live in Texas.

GneJ

9. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

The repeal of handgun permit to purchase and registration has passed the Michigan House and is pending in the Michigan Senate.

10. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I would be more than happy to accompany your wife on 'shroom finding expeditions and provide personal protection for a realistic percentage of the days take - say 15%. I'm from Indiana so you'll have to give me a little advance notice each year ! ! 8 ;)

11. amboy49

Does Michigan have reciprocity with Indiana residents when comes to either open or concealed carry ?

12. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Here is a handy site that claims to be fairly up-to-date.

Use at your own risk...

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Amboy, thanks for your kind offer. However there are two major problems with you accompanying her. 1. She's greedy. I'm lucky to get 15 percent of her take. 2. You would be privy to all of her secret locations, which is unacceptable to her [see problem one]. Bill

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Can't imagine going for a trek outdoors without at least a .22 pistol. Glad to be a NV resident and sorry it isn't the same up north. Hope you get a sound legal opinion that works for you.

15. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Slayer, Mapper, et all,

WOW. I had no idea you guys lived in the People's Republic of Michigan. I always knew communism started at the Canadian border, I guess I just didn't realize that border was moving south.After being oppressed for so long, our newfound freedom here in Wisconsin sometimes makes us forget not all are as fortunate as us. If a repeal of this rediculous law is moving through your legislature, I wish you luck. Till then, we are gonna keep building our wall,while carrying. Good luck.

16. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

http://miopencarry.org/

17. amboy49

Bill,

Re: my offer . . . . did I mention I am deaf, dumb, and blind ? ( I guess that doesn't put me into the effective body guard category ) If you and your wife are a little skeptical of those traits my wife says I have selective amnesia and I could apply that after each excursion !

My granddad used to bring home paper grocery sacks full from around his cabin just west of Bretheren. Haven't ever had that kind of luck though in the years I've been searching ! Usually just enough for a skillet or two each spring. I've always said if given the death sentence I would request fried mushrooms and walleye, corn or the cob, cornbread and coffee as my last meal. Perhaps with just three fingers of Crown Royal to cleanse my palet !

Regards,

Amboy49

18. Switchblade327

Switchblade327 Member

While by and large it is indeed considered a "registration", Michigan gets away with it by calling it a "Safety Inspection", so I suppose it’s more a pseudo registration. And there’s no such thing as a CCW in Michigan. When Michigan became a Right-To-Carry state it became a CPL. cls

19. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Canada ...communist..What an idiot statement

20. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

Two Dogs,

Communist may have been a little strong, but......

Read Paul Shaw's ATA delegate report in Trap and Field from a couple of months ago. Mr. Shaw went into great detail about what is involved in owning/transporting/shooting a gun in Canada.

If what he described is not communism, please inform us on what it exactly is.
    Then feel free to label my statement as idiotic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.