1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Michigan....LAST DAY to light up!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Tron, Apr 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Starting on Saturday, there will be no more lighting up in the bars and resteraunts. I have mixed feelings about this, being a former smoker myself. On one hand, I feel that it's yet another blow to this "free country" by banning anything...on the other hand, I HATE coming home smelling like smoke!

Bad news for the bar flys.

2. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Illinois did this a year or two ago but if you go into just about any country bar or roadhouse, you'll hardly be able to see through the haze. The barmaid will ask you, with a raspy voice and a cig dangling from the corner of her mouth, "Whatta ya have, honey?" and she won't provide clean air.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

We went that way in Nevada a few years ago. I like the results ... and like you I am a former smoker. So far there haven't been any reports of anyone dying because they couldn't light up at the dinner table.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I dont smoke and do not like it where they do but firmly believe it should be a choice. On the other hand we banned smoking at the GC this year and have had no complaints to speak of. Our rights are fading into the sunset very quickly

5. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Tron stay out of the bars and you won't smell like smoke ???

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Iowa did this a year or two ago also. I'm a former smoker and being around smoke irritates my lungs but as long as they respect my rights (as I did for others when I smoked) I see no harm in smoking and non smoking areas in restaurants and bars.

It was announced on TV the other day that all Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield employees in Des Moines won't be allowed to smoke on their lunch breaks regardless of where they take the break. They can't come back to work smelling of smoke. They will give them until the end of of the summer to quit or get used to the idea.

Looks like Big Brother has a little brother. lol

Bill

7. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I for one do not like government intruding on peoples liberties. I would also say that thick smoke is awful annoying, hard to see, hard to breathe in etc. Before NY passed the same law I had not gone bowling in quite some time for that very reason. I now enjoy it, and also go to a bar every once an a while.

8. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have been waiting years to be able to go out to a "public' place and enjoy a Friday fish fry. This is the best thing Michigan has done in years. Who ever said you can't legislate stupid.........

GS

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Shouldn't it be up to the bar owner to decide, whether he/she should allow smoking? After all it is THEIR business, they are the ones who put their money on the line to build the business. There are already some bars that are smoke free, go to them if you don't like the smoke.

What happened to freedom? There are an awful lot of little Hitlers/Stalins out there, isn't there?

I'm not a smoker, I just still believe in freedom.

Trapshooters of all people supporting Big Brother government. WTH?? Is wrong with that picture. If you haven't noticed the game of trap consists of setting off a loud noise, which propels toxic lead into the environment, in an effort to shatter a toxic clay disc which explodes into dust particles polluting the atmosphere.

The loud noise emitted from a shotgun leads to hypertension which causes heart failure. Government needs to do something about that.

One of the local gun clubs I belong to serves up a pretty good lunch. Wonder how long it will be before some old lady starts bitching about the noise at the club. Her argument can be - "there are places I would like to go to but can't because of the loud noise". How is that any different than the smoking Nazis argument of "there are places I would like to go to but can't because of the smoke"?

Be careful what you wish for.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I stopped caring about the rights of smokers when Philip Morris hosted their Bill of Rights Tour across the country in numerous cities, in which the Second Amendment was presented as the right to join the National Guard.

Reciprocity.

11. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Brian, smokers rights?? I thought it was more of a case of private property rights. Big Brother telling a business owner who may be a non smoker what he can or can't do with regardless to a legal product on their own property.

But I get your point. I stopped caring about gun owner rights when I went to the NRA convention and they presented the 1st amendment as a right to put "Eddie Eagle" programs in schools.

Makes as much sense as your Philip Morris point, doesn't it?

12. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

If the marketplace wanted "smoke-free" bars why hasn't some enterprising person seized the opportunity and opened and promoted the concept? In my experience, smoking bans have actually hurt some businesses. Furthermore, the hypocricy of the goverment is obvious, they place a large tax on a product and then do all they can to discourage its use. Whether you use tobacco or not, you are losing the right to make your own personal decision to do so to the
    "we-know-what-is-best-for-you" government. If tobacco usage can be gradually restricted into oblivion by some government crusader, what will be next?

13. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Good for Michigan.

The town where I live banned smoking in bars and restaurants last year. All the bar owners were whining and crying like babies that their business would fail because of it. Well the verdict is in, and their business has *increased*.

EE

14. cnsane

cnsane Member

If anyone wants to whine like a little b!+ch about others inpinging on the quality of their air, I'll tell you what: I'll sit in my closed garage and chain smoke a pack of cigarettes as fast as I can. You sit in your closed garage for the same amount of time with your car running at fast idle like it was being driven. After we've done that, I'll listen to what you have to say about other people's disregard for your health. So if'n you ain't walkin', ya got no good reason to be talkin'.

15. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Huh?

16. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"The town where I live banned smoking in bars and restaurants last year. All the bar owners were whining and crying like babies that their business would fail because of it. Well the verdict is in, and their business has *increased*." </i>

Absolutely true here. Smokers still go out to eat and drink, and now there are a lot more non-smokers joining them. The only exception locally were places like Denny's, who had such poor ventilation that non-smokers avoided it, and when the smoking ban hit, smokers had no need to go there with better food choices. The ban has been an economic boon for most restaurants and bars here.

<i>"f anyone wants to whine like a little b!+ch about others inpinging on the quality of their air, I'll tell you what: I'll sit in my closed garage and chain smoke a pack of cigarettes as fast as I can. You sit in your closed garage for the same amount of time with your car running at fast idle like it was being driven. After we've done that, I'll listen to what you have to say about other people's disregard for your health. So if'n you ain't walkin', ya got no good reason to be talkin'. "</i>

You should not drink and post.

17. maka

maka Member

Mile by mile, step by step, inch by inch, our freedoms disapear. The good for me groups keep pushing. Stand up and push back. Big brother only agrees becaus it provides job security. Think about this!!!!

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

But, if you think about it, what's next (and THERE WILL be a "next")? Table salt? Caffeine?? Everyone knows that sodium and caffeine are bad for you, so maybe they should/will be banned as well.

19. Mapper

Mapper Member

Over here, accross the state from Tron, I am in mourning and I don't smoke anymore either. But then I recall those Minnesota bars with their dime drafts and old guys with their mouth full of Skoal. You can be sure not many of them had white beards.

20. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I like Steve Martin's line about smoking in restaurants, years ago in his standup.

Someone says, "Mind if I smoke?'

"No, mind if I fart? Hey, it's just one of my habits. I tried to quit once, and I gained a lot of weight. After a good meal, I especially like to light one up!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.