1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Vick: Punishment Right or Wrong?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bobby ward, Aug 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

There have been many thoughts and opinions on Michael Vick over the past few weeks, in just about every newspaper and talk show going. Now that he has finally come forward and is admitting guilt, I am sure there will be a new barrage of attacks and wishes of support for him. He will almost certainly be banned from playing football in the NFL. His endorsement contracts evaporated within the first days of the allegations against him becoming public. He will in fact lose untold millions of dollars and his name will always be linked with a horrific and barbaric activity that some people choose to call a sport.

Whenever a sports figure finds trouble, whether it be steroid/drug abuse, gambling, or any of the other banned activities spelled out in their signed contracts, the debate rages. Are they being held to a higher standard than others? To that question I have to reply, "no they are not." Many will disagree and will fight for Vick's release if imprisoned or for his reinstatement if banned from the NFL, and here is why I think he should not get that consideration.

Whenever a professional athlete signs a contract, most of the time they become multi millionaires on the spot. In Vicks case, his contract "was" worth $130 million dollars. The contract is explicit in it's wording. All sports contracts have clauses preventing recreaional drug and performance enhancing substance use. They ban association with known gamblers and any participation in gambling. The penalty for violation is simple. The contract is voided and you are banned from the sport in most cases for life. In Vicks case he violated several clauses. The first of those is the anti gambling clause and the second is the personal conduct clause. When he signed the contract and agreed to these conditions, no one held a gun to his head to make him sign. He read and agreed to the provisions and in return for his signature he was given $130 million dollars over the course of the agreement. He voluntarily made a choice to violate his contract. In doing so he brought great shame to himself and his family and to the Atlanta Falcons and the NFL. I do not know what the future holds for Michael Vick. I think he is finished for good as a professional football player. He might find work in the Canadian League and he again might not. Whatever the outcome, he has only himself to blame. It remains to be seen now how he reacts after weeks of denial. The jury is out.

2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

I hope they put his sorry ass away for a long time and ban him for life from any pro sports! Look at what they did to Pete Rose many years ago!

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If we are lucky enough, we'll read about his suicide.

Like OJ, he's just trash!

Curt - Delaware

4. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

He was a punk in HS. He was a punk in Tech and he was a punk in the NFL. He was allowed to get away with lot of things starting in HS and some in Tech. As we all have seen in school how some students did get away with alot because they played in sports. Now that he was in the NFL he thought because he was the QB and he made millions that he could do as he pleased. He asked for it and he got it. He is now being made as an example of to all the other players. I for one am not sorry to see him go like this. He fought dogs, he killed dogs, he betted on dogs and maybe othing things, he had Va gov on his case, the feds on his case, Peta on his case and the NFL. He thought he was untouchable and found out he was not. I hope he in the up coming years finds himself in a homeless shelter.

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Worst thing about Vick deal is that it's giving PETA some air time. They have jumped on the bandwagon bigtime. As though they (PETA) represent all animals in a court of law. They would like it to be illegal to shoot Coyotes. Bunny hug'n wackos.

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Too bad 'bout 'em makin' those hangins' illegal.

7. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

The Feds did him a favor. If he were to have faced State charges, he would have faced 40 years in prison.

These poor, dumb animals are dead either from fighting or by his hand. He showed them no mercy or concern. Why should he be afforded any? The loss of his career and about $10 million is not nearly enough punishment. A fine of $250,000 is a joke when he has millions.

It points out the folly of paying these thugs so much money to play a game. St. John's University on Long Island found that out when several of their basketball recruits turned out to be "criminals-in-waiting". The University cared more about winning than upholding the honor and reputation of their institution. Shame on all concerned in these and other such events.

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Let's see...what if Michael Vick, in stead of running a dog fight ring, had run a Live Pigeon Shoot on his property? I suppose since pigeons don't wag their puppy dog tail, sit on your lap and lick your face, you would all say Michael Vick done just fine?

I'll tell you what you are...you all is just a bunch of racist red necks. Vick is a punk, no doubt about it to me...but you hillbillies that shoot up pigeons for fun n' wagering while sending the wealthy black man up a creek for doing much the same with dogs...hey, you guys are straight out of 1950's Mississippi (I shouldn't say that, that's probably where some of you are from).

Dogs - birds - dogs - birds...I see where your emotions are. But where is the logic? Just because dogs are cuddlier than birds doesn't make it any different. I want to make it sure that I have no problem with shooting pigeons and have done it myself...but why the sudden outrage over a black man?

9. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

JayZap,

Unlike Marion Berry, the things Vick did "awakened a sleeping giant" in the form of PETA. Like their politics or not, these folks swing a heavy right hand blow when it comes to petitioning sponsors and exacting other huge pressures on the people they target. IF the Falcons or some other team emoploys Vick, they will have unbelievable hell to pay. Corporate sponsors of the Falcons who bought luxury boxes and did other things financial, received calls adn letters by the metric ton asking them to boycott the Falcons/Vick unless something was/is done. They will impact them financially and it all comes down to dollars and cents in the end. Marion Berry? No one cared about what he did after a while. The PETA folks have a very long memory.

10. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Charlie....do you "really" need that question explained? If so, you are definitely in need of some serious medication. What an assinine post!

Curt

11. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

The NFL is in the entertainment business and its star athletes are supposed to be role models for our youth. IMO, Michael Vick’s image has been tarnished and that his value to the NFL is toast. He needs to go.

Cruelty to animals is a crime. Michael Vick, IMO, deserves prison time and a large fine. If he violated his contract, it should be voided.

Every year, we get a new crop of professional athletes from the college game. Michael Vick can be replaced. Good riddance to a bum.

It looks like Michael Vic is really scared of other indictments that the Federal Government may be ready to announce.

I wonder if any other NFL players are involved in dog fighting.

12. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Tron, buddy, you are REALLY having an off-week. Not only have you been fishing with a dull hook, you just got snagged by a blatent amateur. Is everything o.k. pal?

13. jnoemanh

jnoemanh TS Member

Dog fighting is illegal, everywhere. Pigeon is legal many places. That's the difference.

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

Grn beret, please 'splain it to me.

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

My wife and I had a brief discussion about this yesterday... Michael Vick got caught, so he pays the piper - "can't do the time... don't do the crime..." - theme from Baretta -

There was lawsuit recently where a woman sued an airline for the death of her dog in a cargo hold, while the dog was in a kennel. She was suing for $$$, the judge said (paraphrasing) "I understand your loss, but it was a dog - property" and I think he awarded her $500.

I've never been a pet owner, never developed a bond with an animal so I'm a bit cold on the subject. Friends who've had animal that needed big $$$ medical expenses - I've recommended putting the money into a new animal.

Yes, I'm probably considered to be a heartless SOB on this issue, but pets are not people, they're property and when the government can tell you what to do with some of your property... where does it stop?

Jay Spitz

16. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

oh boy. let the sh*tstorm begin...........

17. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

JayZap, now remember that the DC area is about 70% black. That means that the blacks put him back in office. To then blacks he has done nothing wrong.

Birddog, the UVA in Charlottesville had a coach that went to NY and got players that were the same. They the players would stand on the sidewalk and flash gang signs to the cops as they drove by. The signs as I was told meant KILL COPS. They were nothing but trouble from the get go. That coach is now gone and we have a new one. He now DOES NOT TAKE ANY CRAP FROM THE PLAYERS.

Steve NJ, they wanted him to talk about other players in the NFL. Ones that were losing games and or betting on games. That was talked about last Sundays half time game.

Charlie Don't Surf, go to a barn that has pigeon's. You will see that hay is uneatable for cattle. Equipment is covered with their droppings. The inside of the barns is white with the droppings. You go in the barn and clean it up. You will see why people shoot flying rats.

18. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

He'll be back in a year. There will be some team owner who will pick him up after the dust settles.

Charlie, are you some 14 year old girl??

19. Gargoyle!

Gargoyle! TS Member

Spitter, if the lady had the right judge she would have gotten what she asked for. The judge probably never had a dog or a cat. As for you I do feel sorry for you for not having a pet. You would know how it feels to have one pass away on you.

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The Celebritys and Sport Stars feel they are above the law because this is what they have been taught and witnessed when others were charged with Illegal activitys ... It didn't start with OJ Simpson, that was just an extreme continuation of defying the laws and getting away with the illegal activity whatever it may of been ... Think back over the years and I'm sure you can all remember several not just one or two incidents where so called Celebritys (Black and White) have gotten away with proverbial murder and defiance of the laws because of their social status and financial wealth ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.