1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Michael Savage Pro Gun Control?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by southpark, Apr 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. southpark

southpark TS Member

Today Michael Savage called for more gun control laws to keep guns out of the hands of unstable people like the VT killer.

I suspect Hillary would welcome his support as she will likely have her justice department define all who like guns and conservative ideas "unstable".

Tough times ahead.

2. wam6187

wam6187 TS Member

The funny thing is there already are laws in place to keep (or are supposed) to keep firearms out of the hands of the mentally unstable and felons.

My condolences go out to the families that lost loved ones in that tragety, but why is there always a knee-jerk response after something like this happens?

In my opinion they should focus on enforcing the laws that are already on the books instead of finding more ways to make it difficult for the law abiding citizen to purchase a gun.

I agree - we are looking VERY tought times ahead as gun owners...

Bill

3. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Savage is an idiot.

Berettaman7

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

berettaman7

Couldn't say it better myself. At least not without getting the thread deleted and being banned from TS.com.

5. Mac V

Mac V Guest

<blockquote>"The funny thing is there already are laws in place to keep (or are supposed) to keep firearms out of the hands of the mentally unstable and felons."</blockquote>

Controlling what felons do is easy; the law assures that they will be identified. The "mentally unstable" is another matter altogether. There's no law against being mentally unbalanced and there's no way to label them until they do something illegal or dangerous.

Mike

6. clayshooter53

clayshooter53 TS Member

PUULEEEESE!!!!!!

Think about this...How did an alien get the guns he used? He is a non citizen, a citizen of South Korea, but here on a legal visa. Non citizens are NOT supposed to have guns in this country. Then, how and where did he get the guns in the first place? Whoever sold him the guns should be prosecuted in this case. If you are not an american citizen you have no right to own a gun in this country.

I am also in agreement with the other posts on this thread; enforce the laws that exist on the books now. New laws will only end up in the same limbo the laws already on the books seem to have landed. It is about time the senators and congressmen who represent US do as we ask them, and not what the party tells them to do. However, FAT CHANCE. It is about time term limits are imposed with those elected serve just ONE TERM and that is it. Get some new ideas and new thought into our government and get rid of the leaches who live to screw the majority of the people. Make the "law makers" live like those they represent; pay the same taxes, suffer under the same medical coverage, live with and have to follow the injustice of the Medicare system. Make them have to put their own money into retirement accounts and see how they like it. Make them responsible to their constituents where the people vote them a raise if they deserve it or cut their salary if their performance is poor, and be able to "fire the bastards" if they screw the people. But like I said earlier....FAT CHANCE!

Sorry for the rant, but, I like you, am sick and tired of these bozos who think the people should support them the rest of their lives. Throw the bums out!!!!!!!

Billy
    Rochester NY

7. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

This guy was not an unstable felon, just unstable. The school knew it, law enforcement knew it, did nothing! The aura of RIGHTS surrounded him. Calling a person an idiot does little to further our cause; after we calm down we have to promote our agenda individually and thru the NRA in an intelligent and dignified manner.

8. JB Logan Co. Ohio

JB Logan Co. Ohio TS Member

The murderer was a legal resident alien and according to Fox news WAS legally able to own a firearm. Not that I like it but until he brought those guns onto the campus he broke no firearm laws. I'd like to know since it has been reported that he started a fire in a dorm room WHY was he allowed to remain a student at Virginia Tech??

JB=Jerry Beach 8503917

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Jerry,

It's all about "Image"....the colleges/universities do all they can to hide and dispell any and all negative images, whether real or perceived.

Curt - Delaware

10. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Because you get many chances Jerry and you get even more when you belong to a protected class. Let me add.... As many of you know I work with the mentally ill. His age is about the right time for a first break( First identafiable mental health issue) Was he a wack job? Yep.. for years... He was anti-social for years but other then being strange in our eyes he broke no laws. The young man wrote some wild stuff that was violent in nature and scary to read. He has the right to pen all the wild, scary, and violent stuff he wants as our country affords him that right. In spite of warning signs to the contrary to intervene would have violated his rights. I think we all know how that is the last thing they want to do to anybody that is a member of a minority group. His odd behaviour was written off as he was quiet, kept to himself and other then when he did express himself in print the only sign that people had was that the boy was odd and they Ain't no law against odd. We want to blame sombody and that is natural. We want to be able to say that it was preventable and that people should have known. Well, somtimes as right as you are there isn't anything that can be done legally. We want our right to keep and bear arms protected but we also want the law to intervene with people like this and do something before they do. What part of our rights should be violated?? If you read a book called The gift of fear by Gavin Debecker he can explain far better then I how when his fellow students said they thought" he could be a school shooter" They were predicting his behaviour but predictions mean little in our country as we all have the right to do a whole bunch of crazy , scary stuff within the law.Jeff

11. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Savage is a self promoting bag of wind.

12. southpark

southpark TS Member

So Stephen King, the author, shouldn't be allowed to own guns?

What about people who own more than one or two guns? Many argue they serve no purpose and anyone who has a big collection is a crazy gun nut -- take them all away?

What about people who stockpile food and supplies and are into "survival" stuff anticipating a societal break-down -- many say they're crazy too -- no guns for them?

What about religious people? Athiests think anyone who believes in God, and I mean actually really believes, rather than just paying lip-service, like an evangelical, is plumb nuts crazy -- take their guns away too? Don't dismiss this as far-fetched, the courts favour the athiest position.

Who gets to decide who is unstable and by what standards?

Kids who barely graduated high school and minimal psyche evals are given automatic weapons to patrol the streets of foreign lands and do, it seems, abuse their power wildly.

Police officers are given the power to carry weapons even though they are the same men and women who make up the rest of society.

But you could be a college grad, have worked and raised a family for twenty years but you are NOT going to be allowed to carry a gun for the protection of you and your family in Los Angeles county.

Some would argue that the police and military have been trained to handle weapons and violent encounters -- but there are many programs, including those offered by local police agencies that give similar training.

In many states and locals, you cannot use that training, however, or privately pay to get regular police or military training so that you can carry a gun as a private citizen.

There are some important lessons here about what our governments, both federal and local, think about our citizens.

I hope, at the least, people think about them before they simply reflexively give opinions on what should be done.

I once did a study and wrote a paper about guns in the USA and Japan.

As I remember, in 1972 Tokyo and New York city had almost the same populations (I think about 12 million people). I believe, the economic and density situations were also remarkable similer.

As you may or may not know, regular people are not allowed to own guns at all in Japan, especially handguns. In addition, Japan has a history of extremely violent television and movies. Much of the violent programming has been Samurai related with plenty of blood and gore as people get slashed to death.

In that year New York had just over 2,000 murders. Of those, about 1400 were committed with guns. This left about 600 committed with "other".

Even if we assume that Japan's gun control efforts were 100% successful (which is impossible), we should still expect to see about 600 murders in Tokyo -- those committed without the use of guns the Japanese presumably don't have.

In the same year, however, Tokyo had only TWO murders. That's right, two.

While causation is difficult to establish in any social analysis, I think we are safe making a few basic conclusions.

Among these are the following:

First, New Yorkers didn't need guns to murder a lot of people.

Second, the Japanese barely murdered anyone at all -- whether with knives, swords, or guns.

Perhaps then, more guns would not have mattered to Tokyo's murder rate.

This may be supported by Switzerland where almost every adult male has an automatic (really automatic) weapon at home and ammunition; remarkably, hardly anyone is ever murdered in Switzerland either.

This suggests a couple of different thoughts:

One, there may be a cultural problem in America where elements of our society do not respect the sanctity of others' lives.

Two, if there is a dominant culture that does not favour the murder of others, machine guns appear to be safe in the hands of private citizens (who admittedly spent two years in the army in their youth) so that guns may just be the inanimate objects many claim them to be.

Three, as Japan and Switzerland are fairly homogenous societies, perhaps diversity is not all it's cracked up to be.

Note here, however, that by diversity I mean cultural diversity rather than racial. Africa has many areas that appear homogenous racially, but whether you wish to divide by ethnic or cultural lines, they are plagued by horrific levels of violence.

I hope the one or two people who have bothered to read all this give it some thought.

fatXXXerikcartman@yahoo.com (remove XXX)

13. jimbob

jimbob TS Member

Excellent post Southpark.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Duckman, well said erikcartman....Bob Dodd

15. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

Face it , it;s happened and will happen again, the laws don;t work, and if a solution isn;t found to get these head cases and criminals with guns off the street were all gonna be in for it'd I don;t know what the cure is but I think all of us legal gun owners are in big trouble now with public opinion moving against gun ownership.

16. bgf

bgf Active Member

Jerry,

If I am not mistaken, on the NICS form when pruchasing a handgun, there is a question regarding if you have ever been in a mental institution (or something like that)...he was hospitalized in a mental ward in 2005. Let's see his NICS form...if he lied...his bad...if he did not...seller's bad.

I could be wrong,
    Bernie

17. tgun90

tgun90 TS Member

You think he would admit to it.

18. southpark

southpark TS Member

Thanks Bob D., hope you're on the mend.

You asked about my dear sweetie recently; she is doing great thank you very much! Clean the rocks weekly -- they'll look better. Email for tips.

Also, being from Israel, and Jewish, when "gun control" comes up on tv she asks "don't they know the first thing Hitler did when he was ELECTED [democracy ain't the end all be all eh?] was take away everyone's guns?"

Cheers

19. southpark

southpark TS Member

Yes, if only Virgil had not written about men at war getting their feet tangled in their own entrails (equivilent of televsion violence for the age) perhaps history could have been spared Octavian defeating Mark Antony and Cleopatra and they might still be building beautiful pyramids in Egypt today. Ah, wistful sighs...

20. leadvail

leadvail Member

I thought Michael Savage was a conserverative Republican ?
    I'll say it again , never let either party take your vote for granted or they will burn you .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

michael savage on buying guns