1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA's BT, Simms new stock Project. Multi-pic'd

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Jan 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I decided to give myself a Christmas present. I had been shooting my BT as well as I can remember any gun and really looked (looking) forward to this coming season. My gun is a two bbl set I bought from a very nice guy in IA, George Wessels. He sold it to me with the silver nitrate and the very common and ugly wood on BTs after the salt era. And BTs were very popular long about the late 70s and they used any old branch tht was not salt dried. I've had that pic up many times so it will not go up again for a while. But I had this blank I bought from The TS.com departed Gordy and thought I'd querie TS.com for a stockmaker that would give me little break becasuse after all it is not a high end gun like all my buddies shoot. (Ithaca, Pride, Charlie, etc).

Enter Phil Simms from CO. We all know of him, but he is a bit more subdued than a "dude" and a damn good 27 yard shooter as well. He offered me a deal that saved me a couple of bucks and then turned this bolk of wood into my BT Project. Gordy's blank

[​IMG]

And a gun view of the finished product

[​IMG]

The butt stock Starboard and port

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The modest palmswell (feels swell)

[​IMG]

Moved the heel in about 1/4 and the toe out about 1/4 and built in a bit of offset on the comb

[​IMG]

Another view of the butt pad. Tht is a Pachmayr XLT and it is hollow in the middle. modestly rigid on the ends

[​IMG]

A view of the checkering. I love it

[​IMG]

Here you see slots cut into the forend for lead to rebalance the gun in order that I can remove the lead tape from the bbl

[​IMG]

I love the color of the wood.

[​IMG]

Phil Simms took my old stock on my BT and replicated the adjusted dimensions on the stock and turned out this piece. Those changes came out perfectly. He an dI stayed no touch adn he did exactly as I asked and now have this proud item to take to the line this summer.

Thanks Phil. Thanks a lot. YOur bud, Jack

up fo redit

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Jack , Thats gorgeous ! As only Mother Nature can produce. Jeff

3. Golani

Golani TS Member

Beautiful, Jack, just beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person. Shoot it well my friend!
    Charlie

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Beautiful job, Never heard of this stockman. Where is he located?

5. JACK

Thanks. Golani and me are buds, so he'll see it in person adn he owns some mucho nice Brownings that compare to anything I have (other than my ST100). I hve to put a pad on that gun before I do a picture project on that gun.

The case you see is my way of elevating the status of my BT. Bu giving in a credible home. Some of the artifacts in teh case are interesting... The what appears to be a snap cap are my Seehase style bore sighting devices. The spacers a Phil Kiner and I like those because I have 1/16th as well as 1/8". The blue comb adj tool is all I have left from my cup of coffee with a Kolar T/S. The quetips are for cleaning after each days shoot and the container of shop rags contains a vial of wheel bearing grease and a dry rag and a RemOil rag. I hoe the gun fits into the case now. Have not tried that as yet. Need to oogle at it over wine tonight.

6. JACK

Grunt. I'll get that up. He odes a lot of high end guns and I can tell you that he is reasonalbe.

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Very nice, Jack. Too bad it's not living in my safe instead of yours......Bob Dodd

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Jack, are you sure the receiver is not nickel plating? A nitride receiver would be a lot more shinier.

Doug

9. JACK

Phil Simms. Interesting reading for sure

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He has a website too. Maybe he can come on and tell us some of this project. Nice guy, great work. Did exactly as I asked him to do. Happy camper I am.

10. JACK

Perhaps Doug. Taht's why guys like yo are around to =keep me out of trouble.

11. JACK

Vern. I love that "Private joke". nice touch. Be shure to ask the other "Phil" about that.

12. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

Jack,Beautiful.Now all you have to do is wait for some dummy to put a (Ding) in it.

Bocephas

13. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

Jack that is very nice indeed. I too love the color so clear yet so pretty.
    Don

14. JACK

Don. Yes. a very understated yet classy look. Perfect for a BT.

15. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Very nice Jack.

16. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Jack, I am very pleased you are happy with the Bt. It's the nicest one I've seen. Wood looks a lot better as a gun than as a blank. It's a secret how I get that to happen. I could tell you ---but then I'd have to--- well you know!
    Thanks for the good report--business being as it is we can use all we can get.

Am getting ready for the Spring Grand in Tuscon --hope to shoot some there. We will be publicly showing off our new Pro-Soft recoil system. Anyone interested with a K-80 or Perazzi Mx be sure to see us at vendors row. Test it for yourself to see if it is the best system out yet!

Thanks again Jack! Phil Simms

17. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Jack, Forgot to tell you---reason for hole in recoil pad is for stock wrench. I installed a custom metric stock bolt I had made up for Brownings. The regular Beretta stock wrench will work. Kind of a nice touch I think. After all I'm a shooter too! Phil

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Jack, the blank didn't appear to have that much grain, but she turned out pretty darn nice! Clear finish? Have you shot it yet?

19. Bridger

Bridger Member

That's one of the nicest stocks I have seen on a BT. Great work. I am curious as to how you had the grip shaped. Looks like it is dished out at the comb for a right hand shooter. My hand hits the edge of the comb on my BT's monte carlo stock and I can't really get my hand around the pistol grip like I should. How did Phil fit this for you or is it a generic fit?

20. JACK

Bridg. Well it is mostly a BT pistol grip with a palmswell and perhaps a bit more curve. He did copy it from my old stock. But look at the TM1 stock on Phil's shoulder. Looks the saem. I'll se if I can gdt him to chat.

No, now that I look at it I can see that the tang limits what you can do with the pistol grip.

I have a fairly large boney hand and get around these grips well. My bud charlei has a similar feel to the grip as you describe. He wants to put his thumb on top of the grip and now has gotten over that.

I think It may be that the front of the comb is back a touch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.