1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA...TMX Barrel Smith Question... PICs

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by crusha, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

It bears the stamp of Jim Brown. Note how the molecules are perfectly aligned. The sign of a master. You can expect 2.7% better patterns with this. Maybe more.

I've sworn by him for years, and send him every barrel I buy before I even shoot it (sometimes 6~8 per year).

2. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

MIA, I am new to this and have a question. When you measure restriction you mic the barrel then the choke and subtract, right? How are you getting both .035 and .055? I'm seriously not being a smarta**, just trying to obtain some knowledge from the guys who are willing to explain. wolfee

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jack, I dunno about your new TMX but on the weekend in Spokane I looked at a friends TMX and it did not say Perazzi anywhere on the barrel and another shooter pointed out the name "Wilkinson" under the barrel.

4. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

another barrel butchered by some renouned "barrelsmith"

5. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

I have the same exact porting on an M12. It was done by Stan Baker back in the early 80's.

I'll post a picture later....

Matt

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Joe,

Jim Brown posts here occasionally. The guy knows his stuff...not easy to get ahold of, but he's the best at what he does that I know of. My advice would be to put up a post with his name...might see it better that way.

buzz

7. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

It's a Stan Baker w/o a doubt. His work is just OK but not as good as Wilkenson!

8. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

MIA...

Here is that M12. This gun has been all over the place (MoneyMaker, Bruce Bowen and Stan Baker), but not to Seitz.

Perhaps Baker had a jig built by Tom Seitz? Wasn't this pattern "typically" referred to as "Pigeon Porting"?

I agree, I have also herd the same thing.... Seitz style porting.

9. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Well it beats me....

I to, was/is under the same impression as you MIA. Well actually I was under the impression that porting didn't interfere at all with the wad.

Thanks to you two (MIA and M R Ducks) I have something else to ponder! That's just what I need...LOL

So Joe, you bring up "buldge out of the porting holes as the wad passes by" and "Why else would porting tubes accrue so much plastic fouling?"

You know I just never really thought about it. It does make sense, and why wouldn't it? Now something I have noticed, is the plastic or lack there of in different styles of porting. The one that stands out to me is actually "Angleport". They seem to be the "cleanest" on the market. What does that mean?

Lets just say that porting does indeed scrub the wad and slows it down. Is this where we want to slow the wad down? Just before the choke? That doesn't sound right...Does it? In addition, (if this is true) do we want just the upper portion of the wad to be disrupted? Meaning that it's not slowing the wad down concentrically. If all it took was porting to slow or separate the wad from the payload quicker...wouldn't Ljutic have done something like that verses there ringed style choke barrel thing...?

If all is true, I should be able to take an unported barrel and pattern it. Then have it ported and see differences in pattern and perhaps FPS, with the same load?

MIA by chance do you know the name of the original owner of that TMX?

10. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Hey Joe...

Okay I have new info! All we had to do was take a look over at "Angleport".

MIA was speaking specifically about "ported choke tubes" verses a ported barrel. Naturally with my limited thinking, I started thing about ported barrels.

The difference between porting before and after the constriction area I can now see. I assume that the design and configuration of the ports themselves may be much different.

Apparently porting of a barrel (and I have to agree) results in this; "This process leaves absolutely smooth edges that will not interfere with the path of the projectile."

Now Angleport's ported choke tubes results in this; "The porting acts as a muzzle brake and helps strip the shot cup from the shot load. A ported choke tube will keep the wadding and shot cup from interfering with the shot string as it leaves the muzzle"

Sounds reasonable to me....

As far as short and long shot strings. It's my understanding that larger bore (.780") produce the shortest shot strings?

Now for testing? Spinning disks??? I laugh at you sir!!!

There isn't a day that goes by that my wife cant get in the truck and speed along at 40 MPH with a 4X10'peice of plywood attached to a trailer that I can shoot at! LOL

Matt

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.