1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA... "The Unloader" SPACER... LOOK

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gary did this for me. I dislike the black plastic spacers for lengthening butt stocks and asked Gary if he could make these and he sent this to me in the mail. Next chance I get to lengthen a stock I will using this and then I will creatively match the walnut colors. Dark is easy with stain, and light is done wiht a white paint (oil base) and stain till you get the match you are after. As an old sailboat refinisher, you learn tricks to make thigns match. So this is what Gary made for me. He can make the saem fo ryou and that was the whole idea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice shot Gary. I like it a lot.

jack

2. beaker100

beaker100 Member

MIA...

that gary is aleays thinking!

3. jhh

jhh Member

MIA...

Another two woods that "go with" walnut are Pau Ferro and Wenge. Pau Ferro has a soft contrast and Wenge is a little bolder. You might be interested in checking these out. JH

4. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

MIA...

Jack, A LOT of guys lately are asking for aluminum spacers-- they like the LOOK!
    Not for length---just for looks. Phil |S.

5. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

MIA...

Jack,

"As an old boat refinisher", I think you would really like seeing the wooden power boat regaetta at Lake Tahoe and visiting the new boat museum on the west side of the lake. Lots of wooden Chris-Kraft and Gar-Wood boats on that lake, nicely restored.

And...down the hill at the Sage Hill Shooting Park, I'm told that Dan Orlich, of pioneering Ljutic days, often visits on the weekends and "holds court"..

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

MIA...

I use a couple of these that I had made for a different reason. I use TrapDude's urethane combs and the hard base of them is too flexible and breaks very easily at the set screws. The full length wood "spacer" made a solid platform for the comb and then I could use washers underneath the wood spacer for more height adjustment and they no longer flex.

Lately, after the front set screw hole broke I took it to a smithy at the Autumn Grand in Tucson. His name is Bill but for the life of me I can't remember his last name. Sorry Bill. He took the wood spacer and screwed it to the underside of the comb. He put four stainless steel wood screws around each adjustable pin hole. He then redrilled the the allen screw holes, threaded them and replaced the old allens with larger ones.

He saved the comb and it's more secure now than ever. He's a real problem solver and I thank him.

Barry

7. JACK

MIA...

My pappy had me varnishing the Century qand the fishing boat every year. Then in my 20's I began to race sailboats and had several wood models. My fave was my C scow. I had that boat looking so good that everyone thought it was new including the spars. I converted the interior to a modern design from th old oval cockpit, installed spash rails etc. Then I went on to racing dingys and did pretty well. The Laser was my fave and I was in the top 10% of midwest racers for a couple of years. I racall those days well.

Sold my venerable MX3 that I shot so well and replaced it with near new MX3. Pattened the gun to make sure it shot as true as my old gun. Installing new wood on it now and together with square trigger adj/selectable it willlook identical to a 90's GA88. Will have that complete in about 10 days.

8. 687EELL

687EELL TS Member

MIA...

Mia,

My buddy has an original 1955 Chris Craft Cobra. This one has a Cadillac engine, and is one of only two made with engine. I usually pull one of his Chris Craft's to Fish Brothers to have work done each year. I don't know if you ever heard of this place, but you would be surprised of their boat building facilities, by this I mean, how small. If you would like some pictures of his boats plus cars send your mailing address to the above e-mail address................Rick Johnson

9. JACK

MIA...

Rick. You bet

palletjack@comcast.net

All my old pics are paper. And stored who knows where.

10. JACK

MIA...

Rick

Jack Swanson

P.O. Box 303

Prescott, WI 54021

I'll copy the stuff and send them back

11. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

MIA...

And the largest natural lake in the state of Colorado is Grand Lake, just west of the Rocky Mountain National Park. Wife and I kayaked there two months ago; that lake has a huge number of classic wooden powerboats. Awesome..we saw many being winterized before storage during the now cold season. Worth a summertime visit I'm sure.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

MIA...

Gary (The Unloader)- As usual, your work is excellent.

Pat Ireland

13. JACK

MIA...

But I am still waiting for my "bore mic"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.