1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA... Stuffed Shells... To eat

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Feb 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

This pic prior to going into the oven.
    mia_2008_030315.jpg
    This pic after coming out of oven
    mia_2008_030316.jpg

This is the first time I followed the Cremette Jumbo Shells Recipe on the back of the package. Came out excellent.

I used half the box of shells. Needed a bit more cheese filing but the home made sauce onto the unfilled shells was just great by itself. Takes a while to make, but when the prep is done, get a new bottle of wine and kick back for the oven cooking time of 50 minutes

The recipe is on the back of the Creamettes Jumbo Shells box

Sauce:.
    Cook 1/2 to 1# of ground beef or ground Italian sausage and drain fat. Add about half an onion chopped and a TB of chopped garlic (two cloves)

When onion is softened, add 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes, a ts of beef bouillon, a cup of water, 3-4 ounces of tomato paste, 2 TB of Italian seasonings, and bring to a bubbling boil. Cover and turn the heat to simmer for about 30 minutes. I removed the lid for the last 5 minutes and allowed the sauce to thicken. Adn I used ground bulk Italian sausage (1/2#)

In a med bowl, mix a 16 oz Ricotta, with 1 cup mozzarella, and 1/2 cup of Parmesan cheese and one beaten egg.

Cook shells for about 8-9 minutes, drain and rinse to cool slightly. Using your fingers, stuff the cheese mixture into each shell and place that in a 9x13" glass dish, but add a modest layer of prepared tomato sauce or about 12 oz of canned spaghetti sauce into the bottom of the dish.

Then spoon the meat sauce you just made on top of the shells to look like this and I added a few jalapenos to my side.

mia_2008_030315.jpg

Then toss into 350 oven for 45 minutes and then add about a cup of mozzarella to the top and cook for 5 minutes longer. Remove and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.

In the past I have used prepared spaghetti sauce and added ground beef. But this Italian sausage sauce from scratch was fantastic. Very good stuff.
    mia_2008_030316.jpg

2. Reinz

Reinz Member

Man you are cruel!

My mouth is watering and my stomach is growling.

3. Ithaca$$$Grade

Ithaca$$$Grade Active Member

When you say "get a new bottle of wine" does that mean "another" bottle of wine? I just don't want to get the recipe wrong. :>)

4. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

I wondered that also. What happened to the "old" bottle?

5. JACK

All recipes tht take an hour to prepare adn an hour to cook are "2 bottle recipes". You shouldknow that

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice looking dish but it needs Jalapenos on both sides, both my wife & I love peppers

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

Looks delicious Jack! I do about the same recipe, but don't bother with the stuffing part. Just cook the shells and mix in. Tastes the same and easier & quicker to prepare.

8. JACK

AP. You are onto something or on something... But I like thidea.

9. shark1

shark1 Member

You like that? You shoot a Perazzi and drink chianti! LOL Mike Sharkey, DC great dish, enjoy.

10. mlcameron

mlcameron Member

Did we forget to mention a pot luck this Saturday! Nice dish!
    Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.