1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA... PW discussion thread... Pics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, May 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I reload on a 800+. In general it produces fine shells but has issues. Here is my unit and some recent bullets. This group of bullets is my "All-Purpose" load. Using the 5.5 shot bushing, 16.4 grs of Titewad, and a DR 1 ounce wad.

mia_2008_030329.jpg
    And here are some typical loads. I use these for practice primarlily, but will shoot them at singles.
    mia_2008_030330.jpg

2. JACK

One of my issues is that my turntable does a reverse index if the DR wad catches on the interior crimp points of the STS hulls. Not an issue if I use once fired hulls. But if an old hull sneaks in the mix, the wad catches on the cripm points and the shell begins to crush adn the turntable reverse indexes about 1/2 an index. Before I understood this fully, I had mistakes that toook lots of time to correct and in one instance I fully cycle dthe handle and the primer post pin pushed up against the edge of the hull and bent. I was out of business on that one for sure.

So here is my question. Have any of you guys ever successfully used a different style wad that inserts more easily into a STS hull? I use the Dark Green 1 ounce and the White 1-1/8 ounce wads exclusively. The wad ALWAYS catches slightly on th insertion point. But on older hulls I have a problem. My solutin of course is to use new or newer hulls. But That adds a buck a box to the cost, an dI prefer to spread the hull cost over several boxes.

I hav etalked to the powers that be Bruce and Whiz re this problem but find the potential fixes difficult to understand. And sprinkled in with the fixes is the comment "That's impossible". So whadda you think?

3. JACK

I butted into the PW thread the other day where he was seeking info on how to set up an automate and a hull feeder on to his 800+. the fellow asked me to take my business elsewhere, and that was ok, but in the meantime some of us were learning about our 800+ machines. One other issue I had was taht I had to constantly coax, tap-tap the primers to the drop tube. Ahab taold me simply to use some grahite. I did and they all raced to the slot. the second batch is a bit slower to get there but now I iwll just dry swab some grahite on the tray face as I add primers.

So, bring up anything you want ot talk about using your PW or anything else that we might find interesting about makeing bullets on reloaders of any kind. You cannot offend me on this. I understand we all have diverse ideas and experiences and anything you might talk about from your experience will add flavor to this thread. Too, This is a great place to ask a question as I have done above.

Jack

4. JACK

BTW. Someone asked me where I got my little green spent primer box. Holds and catches more than than the PW box. I got it at Staples. they hav ethem near the fron of thestore. I bought 4 today to give away to PW users. I'll get a pic of them up later today. I put a sticky back velcor piece on the bottom of mine to keep it in place. Verks goot Ollie. I ctually have 3 to give away. One is promised to Regolf. But I am guessing that all Staples stores have these boxes See mine above.

5. citadel

citadel Active Member

Jack I solved the sticking wad by putting a tapered bushing that I bought from either PW or Whiz that fits over the primer punch and it expands the mouth of the shell so that the wad now just slips in with only a little resistance and only now and then does one refuse to go into the shell.
    Doug

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Sounds like a problem with your was guide.

Push down on the guide lightly and it should move down over the mouth of the hull, with very little resistance. That way the fingers go into the hull BEFORE the wad.

If there is resistance, unscrew the top of the guide and clean it, then take out the plastic fingers and check for missing or bent ones.

Wipe on a bit of graphite before reassembling the guide.

Werks fer me!

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jack, I don't have access to the DR wads, but have gone to using only the Remington wads because of wad feeding issues over time. I found the green ones will work for 1 oz or 1 1/8 no problem. Thank you for the suggestion on the graphite. I use a 2000 PW or the Spolar. Your loads look as good as any I've seen. Shoot often while we can, Bob

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I load on a P2000 ( basically s ame loader) I have used Fed, windjammers, Lage uniwads, Claybusters, and many other wads and have never experienced what you speak of except for twice . In both cases the wad guide had a plastic finger missing as Ahab states. I have been using this loader since 2001. It has to be something wrong in the wad guide.

9. JACK

Mike. you are onto smething or on something... Great thought. I insert the wad with my stiff crooked finger and occasionally it does go too far as I have little feel and less control over the index digit. Ill conjur upp some new finger mechanics andtry that. The finger is new. the old one was fair. and as i recall the bad blade was onn the side that would create twist or catcching of the wad.

And Bob. I agree with you. Rem wads are superior. But I'm hooked on the dark green or the dr wads

10. dward

dward Member

Hey Jack,

Just bought a pontoon from a fellow in Prescott.....should have called you when I picked it up. You need to get over to Prior Lake and I'll feed you a steak and take you for a cruise!

As for wads, on my PW2000 with full length dies I have tried to load claybuster wads, and regardless of what I did (I added the piece that spreads the hull at de-prime station) I occasionally have one get crushed at the wad insertion point. As I reload Winchester AAs, I will also get tipped wads due to the wad getting hung up on the internal cup. When I use Winchester wads, white or orange, I never have either happen and I think it's because they are slightly tapered.

So for me the type of wad makes a difference, and regardless of whether some say they use claybusters without a problem, I don't. So IMHO using the wrong wad is fighting a losing battle.

Dan

11. JACK

12. Gross Man

Gross Man Member

Jack - I added the Flare Tool as Doug describes above, and that solved my wad catching problem. It is $9.99 from PW. Whiz said that he makes a primer punch out tool with the flare built in. If I had not already bought the flare tool from PW, I would have bought Whiz's tool. Billy P.S. I love my 800+

13. Ceil

Ceil Member

Jack
    I reload on a PW 950 and have one of Whiz's tapered primer punch, but have found that it is critical that the wad guide is centered over the shell. I had to loosen the post that the guide rides on and re-center it over the shell. Also, sometimes mine does not index completely and that creates a mess.
    Ceil

14. JACK

I have the flair tool. I have it set to just expand the crimp and not split the folds. It opens fine and does a real good job on the hulls that are still sturdy. But if the hull starts with a pointy top, thne the plastic memory is too great fo rthe expansion tool to overcome and it goes back to pointy. Adn therein lies the problem. Except the gawd awful reverse index.

I tell ya, the machine has a problme because what I hav not mentioned is that once I got the machine reassembled with repalcement parts (thanks Bruce and Whiz) I cycled the machine an there is one index spot that is a "clunk" and theo others a normal sound. It does index but this may be why the machine wants to reverse index occasionaly right at the wad insertion point of the handle motion. Don't get me wrong, I do undeerstand that the thing has a quirk and I have learned to deal with it fo rthe moment.

Who wants a pink primer box? Free to good home. Same for the purple one. the white and blue ones are promised. I bought them to giveaway on this thread.

And one more thing. Anyone want to jump in and talk about PWs or Mecs or why AAs are dangerous, feel free to do so.

Water patrol going by my joint right now. Likely there will be 6 patrol boats to cover the 20 miles of big navigable water for this coming weekend. The party islands will be full and hav eno more room fo rboats, there will be a lot of drunks be given tickets and getting DWIs on their road licenses and hopefully no big accidents. BTW, did you know the most common accident is caused by a boat slowing in front of another? Boats ride in anothers wake to have a amooter ride. But thant the foward boat slows unexpectiedly and the rear boat runs them down. kills a lot of folks on the river. Well, not alot in terms of numbers but to the one that dies it is 100%.

I'm shooting at Winona on Saturday. A very nice club about 2 hours south of me. I may consider Buffalo Gun Club but shy away due to consturction and various other slowdowns. But that too is a 2 hour ride. Considered Walker and if my bride gives me a hall pass I'll head to Ackley and Stockdales on Sunday or Monday. Hope you guys are shootin. I['v ebeen practicing and feeling a bit better about my ever present crossfire. Broke 85 in the hcp last Saturday. Nothing to crow about, rather just trying to let you know that we all shoot scores we are not too proud of. But will try again till I get it right.

Let me know about those primer boxes. I have one promised to Mike Poore and another to regolf. Mike is loking for a green one. BTW, I keep mine in place with sticky back velcro and will send along a couple of strips to set you up.

Jack

15. JACK

Nice day on the river. These folks likely fishoing fo rwhatever bites. But mostly it is smallmouth bass. It is the panfish of the river.

mia_2008_030336.jpg

16. sharhope

sharhope Member

Dittos to what Ahab and Mike said It is really important to ensure the wad does not move down until the fingers have entered the mouth of the hull I dont think the wad makes any difference I also had the vetical column get a bit loose and let the wad carrier move out of place Before I start loading I make sure the wad guide moves very freely.

17. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Jack, I'd love to have one of the super-duper magnum primer catcher-thingy's if they're not all spoken for. Shoot well this week-end, my two eyed conversion is also progressing well, slowly but progress.

18. JACK

Bob.Send me your adress on a PM. One left

19. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I load mostly STS hulls with WAA12L wads and I never have any of these problems. My case feeder and electric drive just load a perfect shell, shell after shell. I do clean,lube the machine and tighten all nuts and bolts about every 2000 shells

20. JACK

Goose. That was something I hoped for. I'll get a bag and try them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.