1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA... Prime Rib revisited... Pics

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Dec 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A couple of times a year I do a prime rib for family/guests. I cook it as they do in restaurants, meaning slow to a temp of 145 internal degrees. But first I begin by adding some carmelization to the outside of the rib roast. I get started by liberally salt and pepper, garlic and onion powder and some McCormicks "All-purpose" seasoning. First one end and then the other.

<a href="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/palletjack_2006/?action=view¤t=Firstcrust.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I am using med-high heat in a 5 qt fry pan. A little oil (I use grapeseed oil) and sear the ends for about 4 minutes. When done searing I use the saem pan to go into the oven. Then all around the outer sides.

<a href="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/palletjack_2006/?action=view¤t=Browningtop2withfork.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The fork allows me to hold the roast in place during a sear. Do the sear on all sides as you can. And remember, the searing is not to hold the juices in, rather to make the roast attractive.

Looks like this when you are done searing

<a href="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/palletjack_2006/?action=view¤t=Readyforoven.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Then turn off the burner and insert meat thermo. And put it into oven.

<a href="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/palletjack_2006/?action=view¤t=Ribinovenpriortocooking.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

The meat thermo

<a href="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/palletjack_2006/?action=view¤t=Timerinplace.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

At this point all you do is turn the oven to 225 and let it cook till the thermo reaches 145 degrees. At that point remove the roast to a carving board and wait 20 minutes for it all to set-up. It will be evenly pink thruout the roast except at the seared edges. And there iwll be enough "medium" to suit the well-done crowd.

That is the cooking method. But what supper clubs and prime rib joints do is cook the roast to about 135 degrees and then turn the oven down to about 140 and the roast pretty much stays at the med rare point for long enough to carve for rib orders. I do not do that because we all eat at the same time.

Another technique I use is I leach the moisture out of the roast for about a week prior to cooking it on Christmas. By thoroughly wrapping the prime in paper towels on all sides and either taping the paper to get it to adhere or using rubber bands. And put it into the fridge. I usually change the paper about 3 times. And too, I will pull the roast prob about 6 to 8 hours prior to cooking to bring it to room temp. I'll get a picture of that in the morning and add it to the thread. Drying the roast is a form of "dry-aging". When you get the moisture out, the roast has more flavor and is a bit more tender (I think)

<a href="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/palletjack_2006/?action=view&current=DSCN2999.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Feel free to kabitz this. I'll get a carving pic this year and put that on the thread.

2. chuckles

chuckles Member

What's the best time to come over....

Chuck

3. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Thanks Jack I appreciate the re-run.

Bob

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jack, you having Neil over this year? The two of you could count pattern holes while the meat cooks.

Ed

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

Hey Jack have you ever cooked a goose?

6. matttrapn

matttrapn Active Member

MIA, this looks GREAT!!!!!

what time is supper?

Thanks,

Matt Nicol

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

This makes me hungry and its only 10 AM...

TB

8. JACK

Th e last pic I added does not help the ambiance of the thread... So I'll take it down later and Friday I will add a picture of the carved roast.

Travelling to my plce is not recommended. a foot of new snow will begin midnight and carry thru on Friday. Sleeping rooms are limited.

9. JACK

Jim. I cook wild goose in parts. No one wants them except me. So I make the liver and heart wiht one leg, the gizzard withe the other, and fillet out the breast into two halves. The legs I cooks slow and low (braise) adn the breast I cook as a normal tied up roast adn have it end up med to med rare. Then neither is too tough to eat. But I always make a gravy to match the item. And I like to use the juice off a can of stems and pieces mushrooms. I think you get my drift. If I were cooking a whole bird, I'd do it like I do a turkey ro big chicken. But the ducks and geese I get I get to eat all by myself. the pastor grew up in 3M (St Paul) and in a big family and her tastes lean to mild flavors. I grew up in a hunting family.

10. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I would hope your guns are a bit cleaner than your oven.

11. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Booger, that was last years pic. He's cleaned it up since then

Bob

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

A clean oven is the sign of a poor cook.

13. otnot

otnot Active Member

Some of my family only eat fowl so I bought a Christmas goose to go along with my prime rib and king crab. I'm going to stuff it with wild rice,apples,cranberrys,celery,onions and sage. Then I'm going to baste it with white wine,honey and orange juice. Prime rib is going on the grill after brazing at 200F for about 3 hours basted with Wister and butter. I want to wish you all a Merry Christmas. If your in the area stop by for dinner and a cold one.

Jim

14. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Hey wouldn't want Jack to get all the Christmas praise...LOL

[​IMG]

Sorry to hijack your thread Jack. Maybe one of these days we can get together, shoot and eat.

Merry Christmas to all and to all ...shoot well.

Rick in Mt.

15. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

If this thread doesn't make you hungry there is something wrong with you. Except for the mushrooms of course! I don't even like to be in the same room as a mushroom.

16. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

Thanks you guys! Rick, I am right below you in Boise, If I show up, can I have an end cut?

17. Robb

Robb Member

MIA, Would use the convection setting if you had it? Or the conventional setting. I'm doing one tomorrow and can go either way. We usually use convection as it keeps oven same temp in all areas or is supposed to. What say you.

Every one that I have done has always been too done.

18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ok Jack you picked on my specialty so I will share my recipe. First of all I like it really rare so I do it to 125-130. I rub the meat down with Mrs Dash, Sea SALT & Pepper. I then insert whole garlic cloves in slits that I cut in the meat by sticking a knife into it in about 6 places and twisting until I can get a clove in so it is flush. I don't sear the meat. I do use the spices generously though and they will turn brown for that appearance you get by searing. A small roast does not work as well as a larger one 6-8lbs. It needs to have the bone in and needs at least 5-8 bones. I have used this recipe for many years and it was given to me by my Amish grandmother from Indiana

Let roast sit until room temp ( 1 hr or more) cut slits and insert garlic cloves. sprinkle all sides with spices ( heavy on top, fat side) Put in oven fat side up at 450 for 25 minutes, turn down to 325 for 1 1/2 hrs. Keep checking temp, when roast is 120-125 take out and let sit for 30 minutes. This will be rare, 130-135 will be med rare
    The whole secret is in the inside temp so a thermometer with a meat probe is a must. -- I guarantee this to be a perfect Prime Rib. I have two in the freezer and one waiting for Christmas eve

19. JACK

Robb. I use conventional. Because I know how to sue it. The key is to cook the roast at 225 till it gets to about 140 and then remove and lightly tent. It will be pink all the way thru. 135 and it will be rarish. 140 and it will be med rarish. 145 and it will be med/med rare. And if I were making a domestic goose, I'd cook it like a big chicken or a turkey. half the time breast down on a roaster rack at 350 and 1/2 the time breast up at 325 till the breast and leg show 170 degrees. Then i twill be medium and moist and tender. They will be 170 at the saem time.

20. JACK

Booger. That was your comment last year too..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.