1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA... Pics... An old hobby

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Nov 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I missed the golden era of collecting antique decoys and duck calls, but still amassed quite a collection. I was lighting the gas fireplace a bit ago and thought youguys might like seeing some of my "stuff". This is the fireplace mantel showing a few of my good and just decorative calls and a couple of birds
    mia_2008_0303591.jpg
    The other side
    mia_2008_0303592.jpg
    This wings outstretched bird on thehearth came from Rolando's Restaurant in (I'll get the town in a minute) just north of Putnam Illinois. He was closing his doors andselling off his decoys. I was late to the selloff and this was just one of the few left. It was black with cigarette smoke andugly as sin. I cleaned it up to reveal perfect original paint and a known local carver.
    mia_2008_0303593.jpg
    This is one of my antique hutches. It has an eclectic group of Wards, Nichols, Masons and various others.
    mia_2008_0303595.jpg
    Interesting white shoerbird is a product of the only decoy carver left in Stuttgart Arkansas back in about the mid 80s. The covered wagon was typically for sale at Stuckeys restaurants that you visited along "Route 66".
    mia_2008_0303596.jpg
    Another of my hutches. This one is very old (as is the other. both have turn of the century bubble glass. This case holds some very unique birds.
    mia_2008_0303597.jpg

I may pic somemore stuff later. Not today tho. My duck call collection is substantial and not displayed.

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

If you like decoy's old and/or new you need to attend the Waterfowl Festival in Maryland each Fall. There is a great auction + there are plenty of tables selling them.

3. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Thanks MIA nice hobby and a pleasure to look at in the cold winter months with a fire for light i'm sure.
    Enjoy,
    Buddy

4. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Nice stuff, Jack.

5. TjayE

TjayE Member

DB Bill, What are the dates if the Waterfowl Festival in Maryland and where are they located? Tom

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Its over and done for 2012 but is in Easton Maryland..a great time with lots of stuff to see and buy..I love the calling contests and dog trials...put the link up for y'all....The Easter Decoy Festival in Chincoteague Va is terrific too..lots of arts and crafts and wonderful seafood plus acommodations are cheap being the off season..only paid $42.00 a night for a great waterview room overlooking Assateague channel Lighthouse

7. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I think it is usually the 1st or 2nd weekend(Th-Sun) in November. Prime time for Waterfowl here in MN and accordingly I've never been there.

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Just checked. This yr it was Fri-Sun Nov 9,10 & 11.

9. Hotrod67

Hotrod67 Member

Good looking stuff, I have a similar mantel as well. Maybe I'll start to collect. I see this sort of thing fairly often here on Marylands Eastern Shore. Thanks for sharing. Dan.

10. ONEDOLLARBILL

ONEDOLLARBILL Member

Thank you for sharing quite impressive !

11. JACK

Hotrod. I have some rally neat "bob Whites". Bob is a carverover the past 40 years. I have ocean birrds adn puddle ducks he did as he saw them on the chesapeeke

12. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Very very nice Jack.

13. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Very nice. It is nice to see craftsmanship from yesteryear.......

14. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Jack..for sure let me know if you ever plan a trip down to the Chessie Bay area for festival ..would love to meet up and get together for some shooting or to be a tour guide

15. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I too like collecting carvings and my wife enjoys collecting oyster cans. If I may, here are a few...
    mdmike_2011_301123.jpg
    This is a Willie Crockett print with a Lloyd Tyler carving in the foreground. I have been told that this is one of Tyler's better decelorative works. Tyler was my wife's grandfather. If you look in the far right hand corner of the photo under what seems to be a shore bird you will see a Lloyd Tyler carving of a Baltimore Oriorle. Let's see what else is on here....
    mdmike_2011_301124.jpg
    Signed by Lem and Steve personally.
    mdmike_2011_301125.jpg
    Ward, Pettet, Daisey, Daisey, Ward. Although Lem and Steve carved mostly ducks, I had them carve several shore birds for me. They used to come to my hardware store much.
    mdmike_2011_301126.jpg
    Now on this set here, I have seen several sets like this but I can tell you that this set was carved by Tyler for my wife's 16th birthday. I have seen several copies of this set, but to my knowledge, these are the origionals carved and signed by Lloyd Tyler (at least they are signed by him). I have several more and when I can get the batteries in the camera charged up, I'll try to post some more. Thanks for looking, Mike.

16. joneseboy

joneseboy Member

Thanks for sharing MIA. I always enjoy looking at old items that has been created with skill and craftmanship. I also like the picture of Jesus as well.
    Joneseboy

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jack, do you dust or does your wife? LOL

18. JACK

Mike.The last picture of mine and the bottom duck is a Bob White form your neck of the woods. I have its drake mate too.

19. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Barfin, I don't know the linage of that plane on the left I think my wife picked it up at a yardsale. The large wooden plane on the right and the adz were my great grandfather's according to my mother. I've seen my father use that adz. He also had a larger adz but I don't know what happened to it. Now I do have some of my father's planes. If you are into tools like that I can post pictures.

20. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

MIA, thanks for sharing your collection. Now I have a question. I see what appears to be an air intake in your fireplace. Is that for a heat-o-lator or is that a heat exchanging fireplace. I ask because my fireplace is a Tess Heat exchanging fireplace with the air intake for the air handler mounted in the fireplace. As the fireplace is burned and produces heat the air passes through a series of concrete tubes that pre heats the air before it passes through the air handler.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.