1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA...MEC one ounce... Need Powder Reco

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Out of Titewad powder and need a jug for winter shooting in the very cold. I do not let my shells get too cold, but still would like to use a fast powder. I have bits and pieces of PB and Green Dot but those are slow and not designed for below freezing weather.

What do you guys use? will prob only load 1-1/8 lead. I stick with REM primers and AA orange and pink wads in STS hulls

<a href="http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n281/palletjack_2006/?action=view&current=MECfromleft.jpg" target="_blank"> MECfromleft.jpg </a>

Thanks. Jack

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jack, where's your PW?

Not that I can comment from too much experience in (real) cold, but I'd get another jug of Titewad. It's pretty cold-tolerant.

And hotter primers to your normal load is the usual kink. Load those left-over CCI-SC first, and if you think you're still getting pooky loads, go to F209A.

I've never loaded Solo 1000, but it gets good reviews in cold weather.

Bob

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

19 grains of Solo 1000

4. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Jack,

I use 1 1/8 oz. lead, 18.5 grains of Red Dot, Fig. 8 wads, and Winchester 209 primers in STS hulls as my load in summer and winter in southeast Wisconsin. I change from 8 1/2 lead in summer to 8 or 7 1/2 in winter with cold and wind. Never had a bad shell in 15 years of reloading. You could lighten up the powder to 18 grains for approx. 1145 fps., as these will kick a little, but they smoke the birds. Red dot burns fast and clean. They have changed this powder from the past.

1 oz. is 17.5 grains Red Dot, Win. 209, STS, with TGT 12 wads. Very soft shooting load.

Jon

5. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Jack:
    I agree on Red Dot. I load 17.5 with 1 oz. of lead.
    Never had a problem in Minnesota winters.

John P.

6. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

17.2 reddot ,claybuster 1oz wad and sts hulls no problem in NY winters

7. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

15.5 gr of Nitro100 works perfect for 1-1/8oz loads. Soft shooter @ 1150fps, frugal (#26 MEC bushing), and smokes 'em properly! AndyH :)

8. shrek

shrek Active Member

what speed are you looking for?

1 oz or 1 1/8 oz, the title says one thing and the thread another?

9. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Jack,

There should be plenty of Titewad available. I just checked Gamaliel and they seem to have plenty at a reasonable price?

http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/product.php?productid=3805&cat=1169&page=1

I loaded titewad for a few months and I really loved it...especially in cold weather.

TNCoach

10. tj303

tj303 Member

17.2gr Clays and Winchester primers have worked flawlessly in sub-zero weather for me.

11. JACK

Well, yes. both ounce and + 1/8th. I try to hit 1150 to 1175 for all purpose stuff. I gusss I know Titewad, and wnderng ahat other cold weather powder will work. Titewad has quite a bit of pressure. If I can lower that a bit, I prefer to do that. I respect my guns. And 2-3 of us shoot these loads from the new MEC

12. flybyknight

flybyknight Member

I like 18 gr Clays, WJ 1 1/8 oz wad, STS or AA Hull, Rem primers. 1200 fps in all weather.

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Jack, if you're wanting a universal powder: to drop pressures, shoot both 1 & 1-1/8 oz, shoot both weights at 1140-1180, AND perform in cold weather ... your BEST solution is right there in front of you: PB. If you want lower pressure, still, drop to SR 7625, but if anybody is shooting an auto, there may be ejection issues.

Either TiteGroup or American Select will fit those criteria, also, (and so will Green Dot if you don't mind a little more crud) and you can save a few bucks, too, over the IMR powders.

Bob

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Red Dot, E3, American Select, and the list goes on........

15. JACK

Bob S. Well, the PW is north of the border now and this is my new shell maker. The PW made good shells but I tired of pumping the handle. I had some hiccups with it but got thru those and I still recommend it as a production loader. But this unit is slick and slicker. I do have a lot of grabber time and so getting started with this is pretty easy. One thing I found is that the powder drops are exactly the same one time to the next or last. In this case it drops 16.4 TW out of a 26 bushing. I chrono-ed 10 after I made a full table of 5 getting started and used the 5 to re-check the POI on my MX3 and I can tell you that the chrono does not lie. the first shot out of a cold bbl was 1177 and I had 2 dups of 1200 and the ave of the ten was 1189. Deduct a bit because I was using my .032 Briley, but it was very apparent to me that the lack of machine vibration (from the handle motion) was giving me the best powder drops of my life. I'm guessing that a guy can crank out more than me with a hyd unit on a MEC or Spolar or PW, but this 9000e is unbelievably easy to operate and put out high class shells.

I put up this exercise because there are some new powders on the market that you guys rave about, Clays, Solo and some others. But the key for me is I now face some chilly temps for the next 7 months and I wanted do check out your recommendations rather than buy a jug on a "guess". I'll do that today and report back. I buy my stuff from the club (Minneapolis Gun Club) and they will have Red Dot, 700X, perhaps a Titewad, Green Dot a and couple more. We have a lot of powders to chose from because the club is so diverse in its shooting activities and shooters.

I'll let you know what I buy. Adn I will read up on your advise. No shooting today.

The 9000e "ROCKS"

16. shrek

shrek Active Member

You might want to consider Claydot powder.

Less expensive than clays, has metered very nice for me

17. razor

razor TS Member

jack, ditto on claydot 16.5 grains claydot under 1oz. like you i keep my shells warm too. from the house to the truck to the clubhouse in winter no problems. razor

18. billn

billn Member

Clay Dot, 18.5 grains, 1 oz, good for trap and sporting clays. as said, less than Clays and uses the same loading information. Less powder than some of the other powders for the same speed.

19. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

19 grains of promo, tgt12 wad,win 209, sts hull 1oz 7.5 lead FAST and cheap about $3.50 a box. Perry

20. JACK

Claydot and Promo.Got to look them up. Looked up the others. Thskn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.