1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA...Locking block installation.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Nov 3, 2012.

1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Recently Marcello Giullani offered for sale a substitution version of Perazzi comb hardware. I have need for a top half and so I ordered a set. And in with the hardware shipment was a very strange item. Well, unusual at a minimum. The Italian fellow htat designed the Perazaai EXT trigger came up with an idea that he thought would work and that was to substitute "Aircraft Aluminum as an alternative to steel used in Perazzi Locking blocks. Here it is as I received it sitting on one of Doug Braker's work benches.
    mia_2008_0303525.jpg
    The block was an exact replica of the NEW steel ones that you ask to be installed in your gun when you sense that the action is not quite as solid as required by the intense interaction of repetitive shotshell pressures. To say the least, Doug was skeptical and still is. But being a good sport and for one of his oldest trapshooting friends, he went right to work on the project. First he chamfered all the internal and external edges of the block with a small hand file. Not shown here, but he spent aobut 5 minutes filing and then measured the thickness of the unit compared to my still in fine shape steel block. And then took that to his milling machine to reduce the thickness comparable to the steel block. Missed that picture. Sorry. But that operation now allowed the Alum block to be inserted and mate with the ID of the LB slot. Here it is in the Receiver.
    mia_2008_0303526.jpg
    But now the real work kicks in. Doug has to match up the angle of the front part of the block to the angle on my bbl locking lugs. Doug has a TV type of apparatus that shows the exact angle of my bbl lugs on a screen that is lined up and measured. The angle was about 6 degrees and Doug used that measurement and his trigonometry table to calculate the cut angle on the block. Adding in about a half of degree this allowing the block to not stick upon opening. He used his grinder to cut the angle and remove metal thus allowing the block to mate with my bbl. This took a half a dozen trial and remove a bit more. The object was to have hte top lever over the tang but up against the wood. Here is a couple of pics of that operation.

mia_2008_0303527.jpg
    This is a critical step to geting the angle correct. He then had his grinder pass over the block, removed to test it on the bbl, grind a bit more, do it all again about 6 times till he got it exact. The grinder in action.
    mia_2008_0303528.jpg
    The red is Doug's way of watching metal come off and actually seeing that all is square and perfect.
    mia_2008_0303529.jpg
    Now you see that the two blocks are identical and the job only requires reassembly at this point.
    mia_2008_0303531.jpg

The top lever has moved about 1/8" towards center during it's initial break in test of 100 shells at the Minneapolis Gun Club yesterday. But it was performing flawlessly. No sticking, gun was doing well. the locking block has moved towards center and then seemed to find a home. We will have to see how long the aluminum block lasts. I'm told it should last similarly to a steel block. I'm not up for an argument about that. We'll just shoot the block till it proves itself. And my still good steel block has found a home in my gun case. Actually, I'll probably tag it and put it in my parts work box. It would be difficult to change without the proper tools I have in my shop. But I do have confidence that the gun will function well over the near term. I'll keep you posted on this.

And a BTW... Doug and other target gunsmiths "rebuild" worn blocks. They put a weld on the wear side and then resurface just as described above. But it takes about half the time of installing a "New" locking block. And lasts as long or longer.

2. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Interesting; how many rounds per year do you shoot?

Doc

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Titanium is next.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Seems like a good idea, should reduce wear on the receiver. HMB

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Jack, nice job and keep us posted. What do you think was his reason to make this out of aircraft aluminum? Was it the wear factor? It will be interesting to see the outcome after a lot of shooting. Make sure to shoot a lot so I can get more hulls next year LOL

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Next will be Melonite© coated..

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Thanks Jack twofold , not only your project but also showing some of dougs talents. Jeff

8. JACK

I shoot a SB (this is my single bbl gun) about 4-5000 a year.

I lube the bbl lugs, I forgot to on due to lack of time. There was some light aluminum fuzz mixed in with th residual oils. Not much adn I expect it will subside.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

APrice,

Steel rubbing against steel good chance of wear. Aluminum rubbing against steel, the aluminum should wear and the steel receiver should be safe from wear. HMB

10. JACK

Jeff. You make a great point. Braker is a true gunsmith. A machinist, a wood smith, a smith that can repair all of your broken and worn gun parts. Adn you may not know, he is a Wisconsin State Trap Doubles runner-up as well. Adn did you know that he is prety much the early and one of the most successful jack Gracey style shooters to come oout of southern Wisconsin. He does not have time but he is a superb instructor of trap andskeet and is a SC threat in his locale. Nice guy too.

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Very Cool Jack...and even though I'm not a Perazzi shooter I'm really impressed with Dougs work and know if and when my B guns need service thats who they are going to...a real professional for sure

12. JACK

Calvin. To illustrate your point, he does same repair on Winchester and Browining bloocks, accepted one while I was in his shop. He does have help with muching of his machinning... A long time (now retired) machine shop owner that performs much of this basic rebuiling work. It is classic shop. Even a loveable black lab...

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thanks,..does he have a website ? I'd like to get a card and price info on his range of services

14. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The factory locking block is harder than barrel lug steel, so it wears down the barrel lugs. Marcello's idea is to let the block wears instead of the barrel.

15. tanda1

tanda1 Active Member

CalvinMD, Link is above and his price list is online.

16. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

You mean one of these?

whizwhite_2008_0203312.jpg

Marcello shipped me one also last week. They/it looks well machined, but I have my doubts on replacing the current metal design with the aluminum one. I suspect that if it was a good, long lasing idea, Perazzi Italy would have long ago shipped guns with them.

The actual blueprint angle is 7º, and Kerry Allor actually mills them at 8º to ease fitting. I try to keep with the factory spec of 7º, however Allor is a helluva lot smarter than I on these. Now if we could just TiN coat them AFTER fitting...

Oh, Action Blocks do not cause any wear in the receivers. They simply slide back and forth in the milled groove in the receiver. I suspect that if one never lubed this slot, you might see some minimal signs of wear.

Actually, if you had the special Perazzi mic which I use, the replacement process if pretty simple. I get these blocks from Perazzi in multiple thickness increments.

WW

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

If Porsche made this part, it would be better 'cause it would be made out of unobtainium.

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

SportShot: I certainly do, and in fact have two guns here in the shop getting them done. One for a fella in MO and another in/around KY. Gotta get them done so I can finish up two triggers.

Today, Sunday, is my traditional day to clean up/out the shop. God, I hate working in a messy place. Gotta be neat and tidy for me (the mathematician in me, I guess), and easier to find tools too. Like the wife say, "NMT," No More Tools. Now I have to find a new spot for my new enormous fax/scanner/copier. Sure wished I'd checked the size of this monster OKI 471 before I ordered it in. A man's cave is just never large enough.

WW

19. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

why not make them from pure iron barstock,or just unhardened low carbon steel?

20. decimamas 54

decimamas 54 Active Member

The idea of having a softer LB is to save the monoblock.
    Why do you put a bigger LB? Because it wears out?
    We all know that is the monoblock that gets the "job".
    If you can shoot a BOSS type gun without locking bolt holding it with only two fingers: how much pressure do you think is on a Perazzi LB wich is the same system?
    You'll surprise if you read and compare the characteristics of Ergal 7075/T6 with C40 steel.
    I put it in friend of mine gun that shoots for the Italian Air Force and so far he has put on Ergal LB over 14.000 shoots and guess what the top lever didn't move at all towards the center. I know it's very hard to accept this innovation specially if it comes from a nobody like me.
    For example I made a three pieces FP for Perazzi and I still here critics for some people but everybody is talking good about the new three pieces FP made by ZOli that they use in their Z3 (it's the same principle of mine).
    Many times he Factories don't use innovation because selling spare parts is a business too.

Search tags for this page

fitting perazzi locking block

perazzi action block