1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA... First shells off NEW PW Loader... Pics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JACK, Feb 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Ok. After a couple of dumb questions to the purveyor (Whiz) I began the step-by-step important start-up of the unit today.

The unit in Flash mode (should have left it in flash mode)

[​IMG]

The unit in no flash mode. (not my best work)

[​IMG]

And how the shell came out. Zero adjustments.

[​IMG]

I'm loading my winter load. One load, no changes. The 5.5 lead bushing (1-1/16 oz hard 7.5s), the F2 powder bushing of Tightwad (about 16.4 I believe), Win primer, and Rem OEM Fig 8 wad.

If it feels good I will leave it. The test is how it cycles my 1100. It that feels right then it is pretty close to my design of haveing a 1175 fps load for eny thing I shoot in the winter.

There is no doubt that the extra money I spent for this loader is well spent. Mucho nice shells. Mucho nice. My prior loader was a Grabber adn that is on the way to NJ or NY to a nice guy named Mike. It gave me excellent results and huge confidence shoooting hcp.

These hulls are from the grand slam that My friend Mark (the PREZ of the MN big Dogs) sold me. Great crimp, the 1-1/16 lead looks good. Should feel reasonable as well. My newly stocked BT is a bit heavier than the original cypress branch on the gun. So, recoil prob will not be and issue.

Sven

2. Bill Bauer

Bill Bauer TS Member

That's a typical PW output. With once fired hulls it's darned hard to tell them from factory. Pretty much a duplicat of what I load and they average 1180 on the Chrono. Few more sessions and you'll really be comfortable with it. Good luck and good shooting, you sure didn't go wrong dealing with Whiz.
    Bill

3. JACK

That's good to hear Bill. Thanks.

Jack

4. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

MIA,

Different load, but same machine, same purveyor and same results.

Would never go back to MEC for volume reloading even though my Mec served me for 20 + years.

HBT

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I see that the enclosed special bolts worked for you.

Here's the only problem I see with these P/W reloaders, and it is really a PITA...

[​IMG]

You end up with so many of these so quickly that you need to hire the neighbor kid to box them up...

THEN you'll need one of these...

[​IMG]

or one of these...

[​IMG]

and then when you have the above mastered, one of these...

[​IMG]

6. JACK

That's hilarious.

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Great pics

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Kudos to both Mia and Whiz from the left coast.....Bob Dodd.....Sven?

9. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Mia, before you buy the motor drive, buy the shell feed. You will not believe how many more shells you will be able to load with this add-on. Then buy the motor drive. When you get done you can load around 900 an hour real easy.

10. JACK

Bob. I mock myself with my pseudonym names. Kinda like I envision myself to be one of the Sven and Ole joke guys.

11. JACK

Pops. Too old to shoot that many. I just need a diversion after dinner. Watch ball games, but that is about it. So, loading is therapy. Like for so many others. I have at least 50 flats of new too. But I like my reloads better.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jack,

If you have any problems with powder leakage consider replacing the plastic P/W EZ-Fill base with one of these.

<a href="http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh162/skeeljc/?action=view┬Ąt=PWBasewHoles0002.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Jim Skeel

13. JACK

Jim Skeel. I did notice that the plastic base does not set up exactly flat, but thought the tighten pins would correct that. I prefer to use PB powder in the summer and it is quite small grained as you know. I take it that your device would correct that leakage problem? And how much is that brass base? My MEC lost a lot of powder and I kept good washers in it at all times.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

MIA- Have you learned the shot filling trick yet. First, drain the shot that is in the shot hopper. That part is easy. Then, fill the shot hopper with a different size shot and forget to turn the lever from drain. Try it sometime, it is a lot of fun. I really don't have to suggest that you try it. Every PW owner will do it now and then.

Another convenient modification is the extended primer tray fitted with the original short plastic cover. This gives you an area behind the plastic cover to dump in 100 primers without moving the cover.

Shell feeder vs Auto Mate or hydraulic system. The shell feeder is nice, but it does not increase speed if the machine has a hydraulic system. I keep my left hand full of wads, my right hand full of shells and my foot on the pedal.

I like my PW press.

Pat Ireland

15. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Jack,

I shoot lots of .410's (o.k. I am a skeet shooter) and I load them with Winchester 296 or Hodgdon H110. There are no finer grained powders than these. My base with my improved seal design has eliminated the powder leakage.

The machined aluminum base is $90.00 plus $8.75 shipping.

Here is the post on my base:

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=171572&Messages=74

Jim Skeel

16. JACK

Pat. Interesting. The only thing I noticed so far is that the primer feed tub is in my way to insert wads. And I am absolutely sure you are right about me goofing up the shot hopper deal.

17. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

I see in the pictures it is time to reach out and bang the primer tray again to get the primers moving.

18. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

I disagree with BIG PAPA about which accessory to get first. The motor drive is a sensational gadget, and should top everyone's gottagitmeoneofthem list.

Congratulations on turning out those fine looking trap shooting bullets. mike

19. JACK

Well, here isa report you will like. I removed a loaded but not cripmed hull and weighed the components. The 5.5 lead bushing is soupposed to drop 1-1/16 oz lead. Taht works out to 465 gr. It dropped 463.8 of hard shot. The F2 powder bushing is supposed to drop 16.4 (I think) of Titewad. It dropped 16.5.

So now, the question is how does it cycle in my 1100. I'll let you know on Friday.

I'll check that F2 spec later and adjust if nec. I'm guessing that this load is about 1150. I shoot full chokes. Speaking of which, did I ever tell you about Nora Marin-Ross theory about what a pattern looks like at hcp?

20. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

Wow, that is quite a piece of equipment! Care to convince my parents to let me start reloading!?
    -Trappy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.