1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MIA... Crab Cakes.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I make this for lunch a couple times a month. Always a hit and calories are nto high. This recipe works as well (or better) with tuna or salmon. I worked this up hoping to equal some of the good ones you get when you order crab cakes on the Eastern shores... Give this a whirl. Serves 2 nicely.

Crab Cakes

1 6oz can crab meat, drained well, picked for hard items and paper from top and bottom.

In a med bowl
    1 egg
    Add 2 TB lite mayo (very important ingredient). Regular mayo is fine too.
    Beat well
    Add a half dozen shakes of Old Bay seasoning
    Some sea salt and a grind or two of pepper
    Crumble 6 to 10 saltines and add to egg mixture.
    Chop (finely) 3 or 4 green top onions, about 1/3 bell pepper and add to mixture bowl. Regular onion is ok too.
    Add crab meat and mix with your hands till thoroughly mixed. You will note that the mixture is moist and does not want to stay together. But separate into 3 or 4 balls and lay aside on a piece of waxed paper.

In a non stick skillet add 2 TB of oil. Any kind will do but grape seed oil is the healthiest. Heat to just over medium heat. Med is too low, and med high is too high. As it approaches the heat level or just below it put a ball of crab mixture into the warmed oil. With your fingers press it down to about 1 inch (gently). It will not seem like it wants to stay together but as it cooks it will firm up perfectly. Do the same with the other crab balls. If it separates at a corner or side, leave it. Don’t try and press it together.

Cook covered for about 5 minutes and you then note that it may be firmed up. It should be. Flip carefully and cook covered for another 4 minutes on MEDIUM heat. I flip with two spatulas. One to flip with and the other to control the flip as a gentle maneuver.

You are really missing a bet if you eat them as I did. They are good stand alone but exceptional as a beef replacement on a hamburger bun. Just lemon is all you need as a flavor enhancer. But with tomato and lettuce they are a great beef replacement. Makes enough for 2 for dinner or 3 for lunch.

Put a crab cake on an English muffin and add a slice of American cheese or some grated cheddar and heat in oven till melted. That is good too. I do those for my wife.

This recipe is essentially the same for salmon cakes or tuna cakes. All equally good.

2. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Takes me back to life on Kodiak AK, leftover crab = crab cakes and eggs!

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sounds good.
    Steve

4. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Dungeness crab season just opened here on the west yesterday. I am going to the coast next week to pick some live ones up. and I'm sure I will eat 2 but I will try this recipe with one of the extra ones. THANKS

5. BigBadBob

BigBadBob TS Member

Best crab cakes I ever had were in a little tavern on Taylor's Island on the Eastern shore of Maryland. I was over there bowhunting for Sika deer with a cousin in 1995. Can't remember the name of the place but by far the best crab cake I ever had. I ordered the crab-cake sandwich and fries. The waitress asked me what I wanted on the crab-cake. I said," Yellow mustard and a big slice of white onion." She then asked if I wanted gravy on my fries. I said I prferred catsup on my fries. She came back with, "At least you ordered the crab-cake right !!".

Jennings Cafe in Catonsville, MD also has very good crab cakes.

6. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

MIA Jack - Great idea! Read this this AM and made it tonight. Never had 'em before but it sounded great and simple too. Seafood truck was in town today & things worked out like a plan. Wife loved it and it was reasonably healthy meal. And I got points for making supper too! Thanks Jack. John in Iowa