1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MI to become the 24th Right to Work state

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Jerbear, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/07/us-usa-unions-michigan-idUSBRE8B515020121207

Michigan Legislature OKs separate "right-to-work' bills to curb unions

Reuters) - Michigan's Republican-controlled Legislature passed separate bills on Thursday aimed at making the home of the U.S. auto industry the 24th "right-to-work" state banning mandatory union dues, setting off raucous demonstrations and the arrests of some protesters.

The Michigan House of Representatives voted 58-52 to approve a measure that would make payment of union dues voluntary in the private sector, after Democrats walked out in protest at the public being kept out of the Capitol.

A few hours later, the state Senate passed a different "right-to-work" bill in a 22-16 vote. Each measure must be sent for consideration to the other chamber before receiving final legislative approval.

Republican Governor Rick Snyder has pledged to sign the bills once they are passed. Snyder, who said last year that "right-to-work" legislation would be divisive for the state, said this week he now supported it.

Thousands of union workers converged on the state capital, Lansing, to protest the sudden drive for the law, and officials closed the Capitol building's doors for hours, citing safety concerns.

Several people were arrested while demonstrating inside the Capitol building when they tried to rush past troopers outside the Senate chambers, State Police spokesman Gene Adamczyk said.

The protests recalled the bitter two-year fight in Wisconsin, where Republicans voted to curb the powers of public-sector unions.

The 2011 Wisconsin law sparked massive protests and an unsuccessful effort to recall Republican Governor Scott Walker.

Approval of such legislation in the union stronghold of Michigan would be a major blow to organized labor. Michigan is where the headquarters of General Motors, Ford Motor Co and Chrysler are located, and is the home of the United Auto Workers union.

"It's another attack on the middle class," UAW President Bob King said in an interview. "The wealthy are never satisfied."

King said that if the law were passed, the union would try to overturn it at the ballot box through a referendum.

REPUBLICANS LOOK FOR PASSAGE BY YEAR-END

Republicans intend to pass separate measures applying to public-and private-sector unions. They are rushing to finish by the end of the year because Democrats gained five seats in the state House in the November election, narrowing the Republican majority in the new Legislature convening in January.

Michigan would be the second state in the industrial U.S. heartland to adopt such a law after Indiana earlier in 2012, and the 24th in the nation, although most are in the South.

"Right-to-work" laws typically allow workers to opt out of paying union dues and bar requirements that an employee must join a union to work in a certain shop.

Supporters say the laws help attract or keep businesses, while opponents say they suppress workers' wages and benefits and are aimed at undermining the financial stability of unions.

A White House spokesman said President Barack Obama had long opposed "right-to-work" laws.

"The president believes our economy is stronger when workers get good wages and good benefits, and he opposes attempts to roll back their rights," spokesman Matt Lehrich said.

All three major U.S. automakers said they were "neutral" on the proposed law, although the Michigan Chamber of Commerce said it supported the measure.

Republicans were emboldened to seek the measure after Michigan voters in November rejected a measure that would have enshrined a right to collective bargaining in the state constitution.

Michigan had the fifth highest percentage of workers in the country who are union members in 2011, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Protester Kathleen Tronjo, a teachers' union member from Port Huron, Michigan, said the schools and children would suffer under "right-to-work" laws.

"This is just bad policy," Tronjo said. "They just keep taking more and more away from teachers."

At a news conference on Thursday, Snyder said, "Quite often people call it right-to-work, but I think it is a much better description to say that this is about fairness in the workplace and equality in the workplace."

Unlike some other Republican governors who have championed curbs on unions, Snyder acknowledged he was a reluctant supporter of the measure.

"We have come to the point over the last few weeks and the last month or two where that issue was on the table whether I wanted it to be there or not," he said.

-----------------------------------------

The union reps were up in arms at the capitol this afternoon. People were arrested and damage was done to the capitol building.

Jerbear

2. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

"Protester Kathleen Tronjo, a teachers' union member from Port Huron, Michigan, said the schools and children would suffer under "right-to-work" laws."

Me thinks I'm glad she isn't teaching my kids. How in the world are kids going to suffer because their teacher or janitor isn't paying union dues?
    Dave

3. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I HOPE THIS PASSES AND A GROUNDSWELL ACROSS THE COUNTRY TAKES HOLD IN ANY STATE THAT IS NOT RIGHT TO WORK.

4. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Looks like ol Rick Snyder is going to slap Oblamo with some card check. ;-)

He also gave those idiots in Detroit an ultimatum...

Get your poop in a group or we will assign a financial manager.

jerbear_2008_0303134.jpg

Jerbear

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I listen to WJR every morning.

What in the world is the matter with the Detroit City Council and Mayor?

$87,000,000 over budget.

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Jer,

How many times has this bill been presented in the Legislature, previously?

It took Indiana many years, but we finally got it this year. Last year a group of Statehouse Democrats fled the state to Illinois, to deny quorum and prevent consideration of the bill. So...this year, the Republicans took advantage of fortunate timing and brought it to the floor during Super Bowl Week in Indianapolis - and it passed with the Dems present this time (it appears they didn't feel it was worth missing the Football Game of a Lifetime, to stand in solidarity with their brothers and sisters in Labor).

Good luck & keep us informed. It will probably take a miracle ten times that size for Michigan to get it, but hang in there. This is truly the Lord's work, and must be done to Save America.

With Jesus on the side of Management, you are sure to prevail.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Askville website reports UAW president gets $144,000 a year, paid biweekly.

"The wealthy are never satisfied"

Is he asking for a raise, or what?

HM

8. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

OBAMA isn't going to "bail out" ANYBODY.
    What that P.O.S. will do is STEAL YOUR MONEY to payoff his friends.
    CONGRATULATIONS to those folks in Michigan with the BACKBONE to stand up to the union goons.
    I don't know if they'll get this done....but it sure is refreshing to see them TRY.
    I can't understand why union members would be protesting this effort..??? What are they sooooo afraid of..??????
    If organized labor is so fabulous...it should be able to sell itself to any worker and not have to be FORCED ON THEM by EXTORTION, THREATS, and pure out THUGGERY.
    Likewise...why are dues payments NOT VOLUNTARY already..???
    Heck...if I'm a member of something I BELIEVE IN...I'm HAPPY to pay my dues.
    Do you think maybe the Union Bosses are just a little AFRAID that if membership and dues payments were all voluntary, as they should be in a FREE SOCIETY...that just MAYBE...a bunch of those workers currently FORCED to participate might just tell'em to go to hell...????

9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Republicans PAY ATTENTION!!!

"And, unfortunately, with the decline of labor unions, that lack of sharing is again increasing."

"Namely, we've developed inequality so extreme that it is worse than any time since the late 1920s."

"Consider the following:

1) Corporate profit margins just hit an all-time high. Companies are making more per dollar of sales than they ever have before.

2) Wages as a percent of the economy are at an all-time low. One reason companies are so profitable is that they're paying employees less than they ever have before."

"But, instead, U.S. companies have become so obsessed with generating near-term profits that they're paying their employees less, cutting capital investments, and under-investing in future growth."

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/why-labor-unions-172114831.html

GS

10. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

"If the corporations can not pay those dividends"

That is a funny line right there Rick Go back to watching fox....

GS

11. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Rick, what is the point of arguing with idiots?

12. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

Hey midaflake,

Corporate profits up? Labor costs down?

Sounds like PURE UNABASHED CAPITALISM to me!!!

I just love it when a plan comes together.

Chuck

13. 3357

3357 Member

Prop 2 was a trial balloon, the unions in Michigan are and have been for a long time, over the top to say the least. This new legislation is overdue, and a breath of fresh air.

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Gee, what a novel idea "the right to work". BT100dc

15. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Eventually people might start buying GM's Ford's, and Chrysler's again??

16. fast gun

fast gun Active Member

How about that another kick in the unions nads Personally If you hire into a union and want the benefits You should join the union.

17. ryan27

ryan27 TS Member

if someone does not want to be part of the union why not just get a job at a non union plant or work place??? is it because they would like to reap the benefits and wages negotiated by the union???

18. ryan27

ryan27 TS Member

you losers need something to brag about. you have been moping around with your tail between your legs since the election. snap out of it find something to do after you cash your entitlement check

19. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

For anyone who might have missed it the first time...I'll say again:
    I can't understand why union members would be protesting this effort..??? What are they sooooo afraid of..?????? If organized labor is so fabulous...it should be able to sell itself to any worker and not have to be FORCED ON THEM by EXTORTION, THREATS, and pure out THUGGERY. Likewise...why are dues payments NOT VOLUNTARY already..??? Heck...if I'm a member of something I BELIEVE IN...I'm HAPPY to pay my dues. Do you think maybe the Union Bosses are just a little AFRAID that if membership and dues payments were all voluntary, as they should be in a FREE SOCIETY...that just MAYBE...a bunch of those workers currently FORCED to participate might just tell'em to go to hell...????

20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

For the record, I always thought a closed shop was by agreement of the rank and file.

If not it should have been. Now they are screwed. I view this as retaliation for prop 2. They poked a stick into the lion's cage, not knowing the door was open.

Their behavior this afternoon is a black eye on the union movement. UAW, SEIU, pulic sector, same-o same-o. The people in the tent were bothering no one.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.