1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MI teacher upset she can't retire at 47....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Apr 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

MI teacher upset she can

Well shucky darn,,,,,she might have to pay for something at retirement,,,,,,at 47,,,,,and we wonder why the country is in bad shape,,,,,,this is one who teaches the next generation.....

2. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

Heck, I'm 57, retired once and hated it. I even taught school once in retirement. Where does she get off at wanting to retire at 47? I'm still enjoying work and working everyday.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

To retire menas she would have to work until she was 60 which means she would have workrd 47 years as she states. That menas she started teaching at 17. Don't think that's possible. Mike.

4. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

BB, some state teachers can retire after they have 25 years, so she started at 22 and work 25, = 47........ oh well.....Grubby

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

It's about insurance. She would have to contribute to her retirement insurance package.

The days of retiring with full insurance benefits are gone.

Join the club sister!

6. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Grubby, her words"
    “By the time I’m 60, I would have put in 43 years of service, earning a salary at the top of the pay scale. How does that save the district money? You could hire two people for the cost of one and encourage young people to join the profession. Right now, I would not recommend to my pupils to become a teacher in Michigan.”

Subtract 43 from 60 that = 17. What am I missing?. Mike.
    Is this your logic like the draft status?

7. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I'm 61 and am being forced to retire early from teaching, all be it only a year early. Teachers in Illinois have nothing to gripe about they are well paid and have a great retirement system in place if the state of corupt politicans don't destroy it. The teacher in Michigan should be thankfull for her job and career. Yet another teacher/ libleral democrat that wants everything givien to her.

8. rustygun

rustygun Member

Van Beek also said that it is likely that List bought “years of service” because she said she would have 43 years of service by age 60. Van Beek said that practice is basically extinct in the private sector.

Don't know how to buy years of service, and don't care, but that is how she comes up with her number.

9. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Sounds like she is mad because she will have to pay more of her heath insurance when she retires, Teachers in this state can retire after 25 years of service, with a bring home retirement of “ALMOST” as much as if they were teaching, BUT they have to pay a high share of their heath insurance….. Grubby

10. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

Not to mention working around 6 hours a day and getting summers and weeks off for the holidays.

11. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

A previous post commented on Illinois teachers benefits. That is one of the problems in Illinois, an unsustainable retirement program for state employees that is bankrupting the state. Of course legal fees for governors and other frauds in government is also very high in Illinois.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Not being able to retire after 47 years on the job is an outrage.

Wait, what?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.