1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mexico and guns

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by highway, Jan 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. highway

highway Member

A few days ago, there was a thread regarding Mexico and new gun policies. I would like to mention that I just returned from a Pacific Black Brant hunt in Mexico and the gun problem is for real. After months of paper work, our gun transport into Mexico was halted by a sub-outfitter error in not getting a single piece of paper to the proper people. Our guide, fortunatly was able to supply adequate firearms and the trip ended up being an unqualified success and the trip of a lifetime. If anyone is intrested, you may PM me for my phone number and I will be happy to discuss any aspect of the trip including money, or the various regulations.

Really---The absolute trip of a lifetime for my grown boys and myself.

Roger

2. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Any pictures?

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe

Glad it all worked out good and you had a good time

4. mike cross

mike cross TS Member

I have hunted Baja Mexico for more than 15 years and have found it sometimes time consuming and at times there is some difficulty trying to get through the border, but not impossible. First it's Mexico and the rules change, sometimes from week to week, be patient and don't act like a red faced gringo. If you speak some Spanish it goes a long way. Remember you are a guest in a foreign country. Deal only with well known, well recommended and recognized outfitters. Ideally go with another hunter who knows the ropes. If it's going to be a single trip for the year, see if the outfitter can provide guns (most do), it's far easier than jumping the gun hurdle. You will probably shoot better with your own gun, but there will be so many shooting opportunities that it doesn't matter. I usually do 6-7 California Quail hunting trips a year and have had no problems, delays yes, but no insurmountable problems. As far as danger on the road, the Mexican Government has stepped up enforcement on the road for travelers protection. A couple things that keep you out of trouble, don't travel alone and/or at night. Don't drive at excessive speed and don't do things in Mexico you wouldn't do in front of your Mother. Want to have a great Mexico hunt? Contact me, I'm retired and I'm always ready to go, I even have a French Brittany Spaniel and a 4X4. Mike

5. highway

highway Member

We have a lot of pictures and they will follow when I get a chance to go through them. We had our own driver/translator for three days of the hunt and we went through the Ramsey Russel (getducks.com) agency. Everything, including the resort we stayed at was top flight. I have some mobility issues and the guides were only to happy to make my trip a real success. They even rolled me in and out of the boat like a sack of feed when it was necessary.
    I really cannot get the trip out of my mind. It was that good. We even brought back seven top taxidermy specimens including a perfect Surf Scoter and several nearly black Black brant. There is a lot of variation in the species. Eleven bands including four tarsal bands.

Roger

6. mike cross

mike cross TS Member

Roger sounds like you had a wonderful experience. Everyone should have a wonderful experience as I have. Mike

7. hera200

hera200 Member

Really dislike raining on anybody's parade but after the story I was told 6 mo ago in Tex by a felow who lived it (almost didn't LIVE it) re his and four buddies trip to central MEXICO, you couldn't give me a free trip there. I dont have a lot of time right now but I can tell you that while being within 15 miles or so of the same camp they had used for 20 yrs they were stopped on the road by a group of heavily armed men who were not at all friendly like the villagers who they had learned to consider friends througout those years. They were severely beaten (one guy almost died) and were scheduled to be executed the next day. One fellow in the American group spoke some Spanish fairly well and could tell the guys what was being said.To make this story quick I can just say that you would never believe what saved them but the loss of their Perazzi,belgian Brownings, berettas, etc.......Oh yeah lets not forget the caddy Escalde and two F150's was the least of their worries. The value of their lives tended to make them forget about tens of thousands of dollars stolen from them in goods as well as thousands in cash.

He was very explicit about never venturing into Mexico again. Yes it only happened once in 20 yrs but once was enough! When I have more time, I can go into the details but forewarned is forearmed..........BUD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.