1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mexican Coca-Cola

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by WoodsonEnt, Jul 15, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Have those of you living in an area that has Hispanic community tried the imported Mexican Coca-Cola? This import is in a bottle, and it contains sugar! It does not have high fructose corn syrup. Oh how refreshing it is! It reminds me of cokes when I was a kid. I will admit that one of these cokes is the best thing I have ever tasted. If you have them in your community, what are you paying? The cheapest I have found is 98 cents a bottle at Wal-Mart. The local Hispanic markets sell for a $1.50 a bottle. I have befriended an owner of one of the markets, and of course he would discount a case price. He has been so busy the past few times I have been in there, I haven't had a chance to ask him.

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Bought a case at Costco a while back (Columbus, OH) can't recall what it cost, was more than regular Coke but not too much more. Did remind me of the Coke from days gone by. If they can make it in Mexico why can't they do it here?

3. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

yakimaman,

My thoughts exactly. I am ignorant on high fructose corn syrup. I have never researched it, so I didn't know if it was Coke cutting costs, or if the syrup was better for us consumers. Again, I am ignorant on the subject, but since drinking the Mexican Coke in a bottle......I can NO longer drink an American made Coke.

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

The answer is that it's the same reason you can't buy the toilet you want, the light bulb you want, etc. The government knows what's best for you so there's no reason for you to have choices.

5. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Pepsi / Mountain Dew have a similar product here in the US - called "throw-back"

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Galt is close. The real reason is AGRICULTURE SUBSIDIES. The sugar growers in this country have benefited from tariffs on imported sugar for decades. This makes "real" sugar comparatively expensive to buy here. Not so in Mexico. That's why oodles of American candy companies have outsourced their candy manufacturing to Mexico.

American kids will get Mexican-made candy, so some redneck senator from a state that grows a token amount of sugar can continue to harvest checks from the people who grow it.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

You guys wonder why we are headed downhill and yet you buy Mexican pop, Mexican tv's and you hire Mexicans because they work cheaper. LOL

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Actually, I exaggerated a bit. The fact is that you can use sugar in soft drinks if you desire but it doesn't happen because sugar costs a whole lot more than corn sweetner. Why?- because of the government of course. To protect the few sugar producers in the US the government slapped such a high tariff on imported sugar that it's not practical to import it. At the same time corn production is subsidized so we have lots of it. It's the same reason why we don't import the cheap ethanol from Brazil (made from sugar BTW) instead of using the expensive ethanol made from corn and it's the same reason that wool costs so much (ever heard of the wool and mohair subsidy).

As always whenever the government picks winners and losers, the taxpayers always lose.

9. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

The reason the Mexican Coca-Cola is more expensive is that have to include either a bottle of Pepto bismo or a pack of Imodium A_D with every 6 pack they sell. LOL

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    re: Mountain Dew Throwback...

Tried some recently. It's just like I remember it as a kid.

Haven't had any of the corn syrup swill in a long time, and the diet version has a plastic taste to it.

11. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Another point....all of these Mexican recipes are sweeter than the domestic stuff. Not sweeter than it used to be but sweeter than it ever was. We are all numbed to sweetness so that it requires a sweeter product to give us that old kick.

Lots of recipes are regional. Dominos piza tweks the dough recipe depending on what region it's being sold in. Budwieser beer does that too. Almost all american smokes are flavored differently for different countires. It's just the way it is.

12. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

With the price of corn lately I think we can expect the cost of HFCS sweetened products to rise in the near future.

13. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Real sugar makes better tasting soda. It's that simple.

Yahoo Answers has the story:

"Most of the world sweetens soda with sugar, but in 1982, Reagan put import limits on sugar and also an import tax. At the same time, he created a "floor" for sugar producers so they would be guaranteed a high price for the sugar they grew. Americans pay more than three times as much for sugar than the rest of the world because of this so the soda companies all switched over to using High Fructose Corn Syrup(HFCS) and it also benefited the corn farmers and the company Monsanto, who produces over 80% of the seed for corn. It is a huge corporate welfare scam and it was devastating to the third world economies that relied on exporting sugar as their main industry. Coca cola, for example uses 10% of the sweetener market alone."

So the big boyz got their way, and US folks got screwed.

Is this a great country or what?

Best answer would be to boycott the HFCS.

(Beer is much better for you)

HM

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The old Coke in the little bottles when real cold had a real kick to the mouth. It would almost feel as if it was burning the inside of the mouth and cheeks with the heavy carbonation. Now it's boring.

15. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Sierra Mist Natural is made with sugar. A half glass of real lemonade and half Sierra Mist is a great thirst buster. Add some vodka for a refreshing adult beverage !!

Wayne

16. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I haven`t had more than 1 can or bottle of soda per year in 20 years . Wonder why the American people are over weight -- Sugar . What is wrong with bottled water ?? Better start changing your drinking habits .

17. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

I don't drink soda either and I'm 20 lbs overweight. How much do you weigh 111?

I wish it was that easy to loose weight!

Guy B.

18. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Do not try adding sugar to the HFCS sweetened sodas. It makes them foam up and tastes like s**t. Don't ask me how I know ;-))

Eric

19. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Yep we get the mexican Coke and mexican Pepsi here as well. Generally about $1 a bottle and you don't see it in cases or even 6 pack containers. It is good stuff that takes you back to the day. Part of that may be the classic old style bottles with the crimped down non-screw caps, part is the taste. Much better than what they pass off as Coke today.

On the subject of micro-biologics, one of the key features of the carbonated beverage is that the carbonation kills most of the nasty stuff that would otherwise make you sick. An important plus in many south of the border countries.

20. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

halfmile, "a huge corporate welfare scam " sponsored the Republican party at the expense of the American public? I'm just shocked! No one else seems to notice, imagine that. Of course, you found it on the pinko Yahoo site, must be a plot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.