1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Meteor Strike in Russia

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Feb 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Just in, don't know what to say. Glad it wasn't us sounds callous, if true.

Looks like their Emergency Response is at least as good as ours, if not batter.

2. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

WOW Just think that one is the size of a pinhead in "meteor" terms!

GS

3. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Glad they had the Russians narrating it, guess I need to brush up on my Russian

When I saw it on the news this morning I thought it was the asteroid that was supposed to pass by the Earth yesterday they say it is about the size of two football fields, damn that would do some major damage if it was a direct hit

A few years ago my wife and I were sitting in the cabana have a brewski or twelve, she had just came home from the state fair where she bought a John Deere t shirt that had the JD logo in glow in the dark, a meteor fly over up, it was real blue it was so bright it lit up the glow in the dark logo, they said it was about the size of a refrigerator, kind of scary if it would have been a direct hit

4. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

This wasn't an actual strike, it was an explosion as the meteor heated up entering the atmosphere. I haven't seen or heard anywhere yet that the meteor actually hit the ground.

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

For Shooting Sailor. More @ http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2279020/Russian-meteor-shower-Sonic-boom-caused-meteorite-hurtling-Chebarkul-injures-1-000-people.html

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Glad that I wasn't ice fishing there.

Ed Yanchok

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Maybe that hole was dug by a ice fisherman with high expectations.

8. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Interestingly all Russian radar failed to detect the meteorite. It was estimated to weigh 10 tons.....how does radar miss something like that?

Has to make you think....."what could get past our radar here in the US?".

Jim C

9. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

That meteor was going a little faster than anything man made here on earth, I've read anywhere from 48,000 to 97,000 fps (compare that to your 1300 fps handicap loads). Plain old radar would have been absolutely useless, considering how little time the meteor was actually within Earth's atmosphere before it exploded 8-12 miles above the ground.

I read somewhere else that NASA's budget for searching for meteors such as this is less than 1/10 of a percent of their annual spending. They have no problems spotting the larger asteroids, such as the one that passed us by Friday afternoon, but the smaller mid sized ones are hard to spot in the vast emptiness of space. Traveling at the speed it was, this meteor would have been 792,000 to nearly 1.6 million miles away from Earth a day before it impacted.

Hopefully, something like this never happens over a heavily populated area.

Josh

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The hole is a little small for the Annual International EEL POUT festival had this last weekend, up here at Walker, MN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

And as an aside... a visual reminder of just how miserable life still is, for the average person in Russia, as if we'd forgotten. Stacked up like cordwood in high-rise buildings that look the same within, as out. And wouldn't you all like to get your medical care administered in what looks like a public restroom?

Gawd. That ruined my day, a little.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.