1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Patterning Board

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skinnykid, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skinnykid

skinnykid TS Member

My club is talking about installing a metal patterning board. (grease board) I'm looking for advice from people from other clubs that have used them, and any drawbacks to this system. Thanks, Dana

2. C1

C1 Member

They work great. Have a 30 inch circle made with a 20 inch interior so after you shoot you can place the circle over the center of the pattern in case you flinch and pull the shot off to the side. Any old grease works well if you mix a gallon of white oil base paint in with it makes the pattern is easier to see. A club that I belonged to years ago had an in to cheap (free) white lithium grease and that worked well.

Gary Riecke

3. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

They work pretty good. We use white spray paint, the line marking stuff goes on quick and covers fast. No need to use 1/2 armor plate; sheet steel works fine.

And keep it well away from rifle and pistol guys.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've used the one at my club. Works OK.

Post a notice to wear eye protection, especially when using steel shot.

Shot, especially steel shot, can ricochet anywhere from straight back to 90 degrees, so be aware of the fallout zone.

If it's rainy in your area, make a little cover for the can of white grease.

Main drawback is no permanent record, unlike paper, of the pattern. But it would be up to the user to do something like take a pic with a digital camera.

Another drawback is I think it's too close to the shooting line for serious patterning. It's more like a POA/POI checker. But the further out it is, the bigger the steel has to be.

An alternative would be two metal posts with two heavy wires strung between them. These would allow butcher paper to be clamped to them with clothespins. The wires would be at the top and bottom of the paper. Much cheaper than a grease board, and a club could afford to put them out at different distances.

5. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Metal plates are great for checking point-of-impact. Weld something like a short bolt or a nut in the center for an aiming point. The steel plate allows you to shoot multiple shots without re-coating the plate because you can see each shot on the steel. POI work needs to be done at 16 yards with a full choke. A 1/4" plate can be used but it must have a structure (can be wood) behind it to keep the plate from warping after many impacts at 16 yards.

If you want to check patterns a wood pattern board with paper is needed. The surface needs to be replaceable as it will eventually be destroyed.

Jim Skeel

6. Gapper

Gapper TS Member

16 yards might be a little close. The skeet shooters pattern @ 25yds. - Trap guys 32-40yds for P.O.I. check.

Just my experience.

It's also a good idea to angle the plate a bit so the shot bounces downward. GAP

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

They're great but are only safe for lead shot. Be careful, you don't want to hurt anyone or be held liable for ricochet accidents.

-Gary

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anyone who shoots steel shot at a pattern board is an idiot.

We have one @ 4pt, it was great until someone decided to shoot a half dozen deer slugs into it (another idiot). Now its inconvenient to use, so I made my own frame that I bring with me.

Steel plate is more convenient, take a pic and upload to shotgun insight.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Anyone who shoots steel shot at a pattern board is an idiot. "</i>

Yup. But sooner or later some idiot will.

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

...then come the lawyers.

-Gary

11. DC Claygunner

DC Claygunner Member

We just made 2. Found an old 36"x80"x1/2" thick steel door. Cut it in 1/2. mounted it on a stand about a foot off the ground. 5 tubs of grease, 1/2qt of white pigment paint, 1/2 qt of synthetic motor oil. Mix up in a 5 gal. pale with lid and have one pal to keep your roller in. We coated the steel one time and have not added any more grease to the board. Have shoot it over a 100 times now. This works great. At 40 yards you can see your pattern as soon as you shoot. Take a small roller and roll right out to shoot again. BL Allen

12. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Another thing is to place the pattern board some place where it won't be shot at with high power rifles or slug guns. The one at one of the clubs I go to is virtually unusable now thanks to a bunch of idiots.

The grease board works a lot better than brushing a coat of paint over the board.

13. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Skinnykid: Here's an article that may help. See link above.

- - Bill

14. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

you can figure ours (Mnpls Gun Club) out by looking at the picture. We do not use grease. Just clamp paper to it. I think ours is 1/4" galvanized plate.
    [​IMG]

I will send a guy to this thread that has made numerous steel boards fo rlocal clubs He is "Vance and Hines". He can add recent experience to this project.

The white splotches are the lead marks form 13 yards.

15. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't use a roller to redo the plate, it will splatter the grease on you. A better option is a long handled toilet bowl brush.

16. porky

porky TS Member

Some clubs like grease others use a mixture of zinc oxide and mineral oil. Usually a 50/50 mixture.

17. skinnykid

skinnykid TS Member

Thank you all for your suggestion !!!! We have a Metal Board already built and ready. One of our concerns is where to place it and what liabilities we may run into. Some of us are afraid that "idiots" will shoot steel shot, or worse slugs or bullets at it! Personally, I would rather use paper, but I am only one voice at the club. Thanks again, Dana

18. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I use cheap spray paint and like it better than the grease.

19. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

Can anyone help me here? If someone (idiot) uses copper plated, or steel shot, on the grease board will it return like a jacketed pistol round will?
    A buddy got a nice hole ripped in his shoulder from a pistol round into steel. Is something similar posible?
    Dave Butzier

20. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

steel possibly. Not plated shot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
heavy patterning
how do you make a shotgun patterning plate out of metal
making a steel shotgun patterning board
patterning board
shotgun pattern board