1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal ID please

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by TALLEND, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TALLEND

TALLEND Member

I was gifted some "plumbers lead",and some unknown metal that is similar to lead--as lead agaes it gets dark---this stuff is shiney

They are 4,(2"x2")ingot barsconnected----straight line on top,and bottom of the name FRY

on the back is a code 20SN 1SB5680-----------other end-----M 4525 001

Thanks for any help

Will try to get a BHT soon >>>>>>> added----- BHT =13

thanks,Tom

2. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

could the shiny stuff be line-o-type? If so it will make great bullets. I don't know about shot but line-o-type is hard.

3. badminton

badminton Member

Sounds like solder ingots. Fry was a solder company.

4. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Try calling Roger Burris at "Better Bullets" (610-491-9901).

He's forgotten more about lead and it's alloys than we will ever know...

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'll agree with the Linotype theory. Back in the 1970s, I bought 26-pound ingots of used Linotype from a small printing company and it was very shiny compared to used wheel weights.

If that's what it is, do not cast bullets with it "full-strength." They will have a frosted appearance and will be of varying diameters - getting a good casting with it is tough and the bullets will be much harder than necessary as well as lighter than desired. Adding no more than 25% Linotype to wheel weights after skimming the dirt and steel clips from the melted weights from the pot will give you nice, hard well-cast bullets. If I recall correctly, most casters like to use a 10% Linotype, 90% wheel weight mixture.

Ed

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Years ago I ran across what I thought was lead only to find out it was called Woods Metal (spelling?).

I guess it was or is used for pattern making. Half the weight of lead and melts at a low temp.

Regards....Gerald

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.