1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Fatigue Beretta 391 Golden Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by doubles100, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doubles100

doubles100 TS Member

The operating rod of my son's 391 broke on target 130 of the Georgia State Singles Championship on Saturday. Will finished the event with a borrowed BT-99 from Alberto Lopez, a gracious complete stranger.

Mr. L.L. Evans, Jr. of the host club, South River GC, offered to let us cannibalize one of his 391s so that Will could compete on Sunday. We swapped the operating rods. Then on the 31st doubles pair on Sunday morning, the connecting rod on the slide broke.

I called Beretta today and they did not have an operating rod in stock. I called Cole Gunsmithing and they, of course, had 7.

With respect to the 391 I have a couple of questions:

(1) Has anyone experienced similar issues with the operating rod and connecting rod. After the connecting rod broke, I examined it and it appeared to be bent in a number of places so my guess is that the operating rod failure deformed the connecting rod causing the subsequent metal failure of the conecting rod.

(2) We are relatively new to clay target shooting (@ 2 years). I have had a spare trigger assembly for a year. Does anyone have any input as to what other "spare" parts I should acquire and travel with?

Thanks,

Will's Dad

2. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

first i've ever heard of one of those giving up....the most likely parts I would have suspected to have broken first are a piston or a link or hammer brace...they are pretty darn tough and trouble free as semi-autos go

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

You were speaking to the KING of 390's/391 when you were speaking to Rich Cole.. He has made some heavy duty parts for both models..

4. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

My guess is that the culprit was an overused (worn out) recoil spring or rusty recoil spring tube.

How many rounds have been fired through the gun? How heavy are the loads? When was the last time you replaced the recoil spring? Have the gas ports in the barrel been enlarged? Are you the original owner of the gun? How far does the gun throw the empties?

Once the recoil spring weakens, the gun can and will beat itself to death causing many broken parts. It could have been worse (more expensive) if the bolt had broken.

I suggest replacing the recoil spring and the broken parts. The recoil buffer in the rear of the receiver may need replacing too. Keep the gun well lubricated when using it. Breakfree CLP or RemOil are good choices.

BTW, the best "spare parts" you can travel with is a backup gun of the exact same kind. You can swap out parts in a minute or two.

Easystreet

5. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

If you want to minimize the odds of needing spare parts for the 391, just get another gun. When you have all the spare parts, it seems like nothing ever happens. They know when they are alone. Point of curiosity: Had the gun been ported?
    Dave

6. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

I think easystreet has it right. The gun is beating itself to death. A couple of years ago it was common to break the connecting rod. The new ones last forever. As for the operating rod, it must be taking some real abuse or the receiver is worn for it to break.
    keep the wood (if it fits) and trade the gun.

7. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

SPTNCLAYS trading the gun just passes the problem on to another shooter. I will remember not to buy from you. It probably all stems from a rcoil spring that is week and the use of heavy loads. I would replace the spring every year or 10,000 rounds. Make sure the buffer in the receiver is still intact also. I have seen several of the Beretta autos that are working fine after 150,000 rounds and none of them ever broke a magazine linkage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta 391 operating rod break

beretta 391 recoil buffer