1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

@@ Metal Eye Candy @@

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dennis DeVault, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

It is not often that I get to display the talents of the metal guys in the shop. Our cad guy designed this badge from a photo and then recreated the geometry to make a 3D badge of the Marine Corp emblem. The badge is made of brass and inset into the grip cap and sealed to perserve it forever. This is a tribute to our service men and women that keep our nation free and allow us to do all that we do. The person that is receiving this will see it on Saturday his brother is presenting it to him as a birthday gift. I hope that the brother enjoys the gift and shoots it well. Thank you for taking a look.

Dennis,Cindy & The Crew

[​IMG]

2. Claymuncher

Claymuncher Member

That is a really nice tribute, can I get one?

CM

3. mooney

mooney Member

Dennis, I cannot thank you enough for letting me see this beautiful creation in the flesh during my visit. It is beautiful and "in the highest traditions of The Marine Corps." I hope the Marine who receives it will be as proud to own as you and your staff were at creating it.

Mooney-Glenn Wedding

4. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

Dennis -- you the man! If only the other company's, large and small, involved in the shooting industy had your (and your staff's)sense of innovation and dedication to custom service. It would be nice if your "Gung Ho" attitude caught on.

5. andybull

andybull Active Member

I can't say I'm impressed with the feather detail of the wings. I also had to check on the web in order to see if the eagle head (shape) was like the one used on the authentic Marine's Emblem, since it looked somewhat like that of a seagull.

6. Dennis DeVault

Thank you for the seedback,

The machine that we used is a large CnC with a 60 " table and the split tool is a 1/4" diameter. We do not have the detail of a jeweler so the lines at times may be a bit out of shape. Bryan who does the design has to look at a photo then draw the lines one by one using just the screen to look at that is also how the raised and relief portion is created. I wish we had a machine that was just for making small items but this is all we got for now. Also on the original there is a banner across the globe but there was not enough room to add that for this job. Again thank you for the feedback it will help us to do a better job in the future.

Dennis, Cindy & The Crew

7. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Very Nice, Semper Fi Vets & active soldiers

8. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

It looks damm good to me.

Rick

9. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Looks great, what kind of glue holds it in?

10. Dennis DeVault

The adhesive is an epoxy that is placed under the badge. The badge has a place dug out for the epoxy to grap the back side of the badge. Then the top side of the badge is sealed in with an epoxy that has a degassing agent and it dries clear. The material can be wet sanded and buffed to make it match the rest of the finish on the stock. Thank you for the question.

Dennis DeVault

11. bigeoj

bigeoj Member

Dennis, Impressive things just keep rolling out of Canton,OH!!!!!! Beautiful work and a fitting tribute in the "home of the brave." Joe Stewart