1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal dust/flakes on new GC7

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dave P, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just bought a 'new to me' SKB GC7. I shot some new Winchesters today and noticed some metal flakes in the action when I put the gun away. I dug thru the garbage barrel for my empties and I found some that had had marks from the firing pin dent to the edge of the shell when it ejected. I know these were my empties. Anything to worry about or will it go away? Advice please

2. rick979

rick979 Active Member

The firing pin is still sticking minutely out of the hole when you open the gun and this will leave "a trail" on the back of the hull. The debris will be what gets gouged out of the base of the hull by the firing pin. This is quite common on SKB and OTHERS. One of the solutions that gunsmiths use is to shorten the offending firing pin. Hope this helps!! Rick .... Texas

3. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

If your going to try to shorten the firing pin, remove it from the gun, chuck it in a drill or drill press and use a fine stone on it. I've got some really odd-shaped firing pins I tried to deal with while they were still in place.

Lister

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Again... Get a competent gunsmith to do the work. They shorten the back of the firing pin minutely not the striking end.

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

THANKS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.