1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Detectors, question

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by shot410ga, Jan 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of buying s Metal Detector. Mid Range price $300-500. Any of you guys use one regularly? I'm thinking some beach and local inland areas. Any recommendations? Bang for the buck?

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Pro diggers use a Nautils. Jeff

3. hoosierdad

hoosierdad TS Member

I recommend a White's or Garrett.I have three White's and their service is second to none. Make sure whatever you buy has the ability to cancel out the mineralization of the salt on the beach. Check on EBAY.You can buy a detector that would normally cost $700 or $800 in the price range you want to be in. People buy them then find they don't have the time or lose interest. They also are constantly trading and upgrading. Kind of like trap guns. Once you start finding stuff you'll be hooked....Like me

4. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Beach? Salt or fresh water??

GS

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I like Tesoro. Uses one nine volt battery. I use the Golden U Max. I have two Tesoro Sidewinders I bought used for the grandkids. We never used them as they were transfered to California. Would sell for $225.00 each. Check them out on the web. These are in excelent condition. I also have an old Whites 5900. It is big and heavy. Not as user friensly as the Tesoro. Sell for $75.00. PM if there is any interestor questions. I like hunting soccer fields. Ray

6. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

If you are going anywhere near salt water there is only really one machine in my opinion that will do both land and saltwater. Minelab Sovereign, GT or Elite. Ebay is one place I would not buy a used detector. However go to this site: http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/ There is a wealth of info here, and the forums are a great place to buy a used detector, I have bought many there.

GS

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. Any rags I should be reading, Books? It will be salt water on the beach.

8. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Western Eastern Treasured is what I bought on ebay. Seems lots of 5 is how some were sold. Can learn a lot and a lot of treasures are still out there. I paid 1.00 plus to 2.50 per magazine. They are 3.95 new. I have close to 50, maybe more, magazines. Make an offer. They are from the late 90s but very good reading. Also have some fishing and a few years of Trap and Field. Probable 1998 through 2000. Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.