1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

metal detector which one ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by emmylou1, Feb 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emmylou1

emmylou1 TS Member

Love trapshootin,photography,now retired and want to buy treasure finder.
    Anybody know great one for reasonable ??
  2. rexxon631g

rexxon631g TS Member

I've got a Whites 6000SL that I have had for over 20 years, went detecting this past weekend found 8 coins in about 2 hours. I have been very happy with it no problems, I think I sent it back to Whites one time to get the dust cleaned up in the knobs but thats it. But its a good hobby but you have to be patient you will dig a lot of trash before you learn what a "good" signal sounds like.
    It would be hard to go wrong with a Whites but others are good also, just do yourself a favor and spend a little more and get a good detector.
  3. shot410ga

shot410ga Active Member

Fisher F2 or F4. Maybe a Garrett 250. Beach salt water calls for big bucks and a sealed detector, beware. Regular detectors don't work in any wet environment especially salt water, any water will kill them.
  4. avery53

avery53 Member

Can't beat the Whites 6000 series for coin huntin'.
  5. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Well-Known Member

I have 2 older whites. My wife and I use them once in a blue moon. Mike.
  6. hehawboy

hehawboy TS Member

Minelab e-trac Cost alot and hard to understand but a good detector.But a Whites is good too!!
  7. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Tesoro Sidewinder UMax. I have two for sale at $225.00 each plus shipping. Both are in excellent condition and I have the manuals also. Either one will look near new. I think they both have the coil covers added also. They both operate on only one 9 volt battery. Check them out on Ebay if there are any there.I do not think you would be disappointed.Seems they sold for right at $500.00 when new.Very light weight.

I also have a lot of Western and Eastern Treasure magazines from the mid to late 90's. I bought used off Ebay also to read about lost treasures and the tips in them. Even old they are good reading. Will sell for half price.

I have an older Whites 5900 for $75.00. Talk about a boat anchor....It would make a good one.Works on 12 volt rechargeable battery. Is very heavy too.

PM me if interested or have any questions.
  8. avery53

avery53 Member

I started out with the early Whites, they were brutes. lol The later ones were much better.
    Like stated above, if you have lots of disposable cash, Minelab is the Caddy of metal detectors.

avery
  9. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

Tell us where and what you plan to look for. Just like hammers there are one's made for different jobs.

GS
  10. Fraz

Fraz TS Member

Great timing I am also interested in upgrading, and just what to look at.
    I currently have an older Garrett 350 Crossfire, & have found a lot of stuff however in trying to find a better mouse trap or stay with what I have. I work mostly sand beaches, some hard ground. Question would the new Garrett 350 be more responsive than my old one, or should I look something totally different.
    Fraz
  11. rd

rd TS Member

I have a Minelab Explorer SE for sale. My wife bought it for me three years ago and paid over $1200 for it. I've only used it about 5 times. I just never could get interested, plus the ground here in Colorado is mostly hard clay, making digging very tedious.

I will sell it for $600 to anyone- I will pay shipping and insurance.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.