1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Metal Detector - first outing

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by joe kuhn, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Got a Bounty Hunter, Quick Draw II from my dearest Holga for Christmas. First day out I found 3 items: an implement ring and two aluminum tree markers. Guess where I was hunting? Tomorrow we go to the farm. There's supposed to be an old Civil War era cemetery there, but with no head stones. Should be fun.

Today I learned to bring a small shovel. I have a pin pointer and it worked great along with a dandelion digger. Practiced finding some coins on the side walk first. Drive way has reinforcing bar in it. Hah. Also found a culvert but didn't embarrass myself by digging into it. Looked a little off the trail and there it was. Lots of stuff around the forest preserve parking lot.

What have you found?

Joe

joekuhn_2008_030352.jpg

2. avery53

avery53 Member

I was into metal detecting for about 15 yrs, 'til a back injury left me unable to bend.
    It is a great hobby, my buddy and I traveled somewhere about every Sunday to find our fortune.
    It will amaze you how many coins are lost each year.
    We hunted mostly areas where old coins could be found. New stuff is OK while you're learning, but I tired of that quickly.
    Nothing like the glint of real silver or gold in the hole to get yer heart pumping.
    For tools, they make a heavy duty trowel, spend the money. A garden trowel will get bent up very quickly. A long thin screwdriver, tip ground off and rounded for pin pointing your find. Then using the trowel, make a neat plug cut over your target, remove the plug carefully so you can replace it. Once you have done it for awhile, s you shouldn't see where you have been.
    Also, practice makes perfect, it is a learning process. Soon you will be able to tell most good targets from the bad, and the depth of your finds will increase.
    Finally, the detector you chose is a good starter one. If you really get into the hobby, you will want to upgrade to a more powerful, and discriminating detector. For coin hunting, target ID is a great thing.
    Expect to dig quite a bit of trash at first, that teaches you the minor differences in target sounds. Soon you will be digging a better ratio of good to bad targets.
    Have fun, thar's treasure awaiting you. lol

Oh, my finds include gold and silver rings, necklaces, bracelets, pins, etc. Coins from half dime to silver dollar and everything in between. Seated, Barber, and newer silver coins. Thousands of wheat pennys, many indian head cents, some large cents, and just one half cent, dated when Thomas Jefferson was president.
    The do-dads you find are probably the most interesting, from tokens, keys, dog licenses, etc. The list is too long to get into.
    Give yourself the time to learn, and you will love your new hobby.
    Hope this helps

avery

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

That half cent is enthralling. I have a very sturdy garden trowel to take with tomorrow. Great story.

Thanks, Joe

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Congradulations. My wife and I each have one great fun. One summers end we went to Presque Isle and combed the sand beach. I filled my tackle box with lures and found a 26 inch necklace. Have a healthy New year. Mike.

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Did the same thing several yrs. ago. As what avery did. Found many things and learned by what the sound was buy my bounty hunter. Got a discriminator a few yrs ago but have not had a chance to get out and really get with it. Next summer I will though cause I'm getting ready to retire. Going to find my fortune and spend it on trap. Wild Bill

6. quartering

quartering Active Member

have you ever found a coin on the ground at a trap club?

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

quartering: Nope too much other "junk" even in the discriminate mode on mine if I set the discriminate mode too high so as to bypass pull tabs shell casings etc. (mine loves circles) then it tends to miss coins. Maybe I need a newer model but I have found a lot of good stuff. Ross Puls

8. avery53

avery53 Member

(((have you ever found a coin on the ground at a trap club?)))

Actually I have. BUT, the amount of brass and pull tabs you pick through, ain't worth the time.
    Of course PK Fletcher in Alpena had some old foundations from before it was a trap club to search around.

avery

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

So, what is the King of detectors? I've always wanted one. I use to watch all the old men comb the beaches every morning when I was a kid. Evidently, they found something, and was worth their time, they were there everyday.

10. avery53

avery53 Member

I have owned most brands, searching for the one that gave me the greatest depth for looking for the older stuff.
    Whites was one of the best back a few years ago. The one I finally settled on back then was the Bounty Hunter Big Bud Pro. It blew the others away, depth wise, and with it's tone ID, depth meter, meter ID, nothing came close.
    It's been more than 10 years since I have checked out the newer ones, so I don't know how they have evolved.
    Minelab is one that at the time was the up and comer. I think today it is considered by many to be the best.

HTH avery

11. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

I have a couple of old Compass brand units. I found that a long flat blade screw driver is the best for probing and flipping the soil. It does not leave a big hole that some folks do not like to see in a park or such. Try the screw driver. Bernie

12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

I have been detecing on/off my whole life. The tech. has come a long way. I am a huge Minelab fan, these detectors work awesome. I hunt mostly beaches now, for time put in the rewards are usually the best. However you never know what is going to come out of the ground.

GS

13. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I once lived on an old property that was part of the gold rush era up in Butte Creek Canyon east of Chico Ca. Someone loaned me an old very early tech detector that you wore a pair of headphones. No meters. Never found anything of value but did find an ancient meat cleaver, tons of railroad spikes, and a giant spark plug with two ground electrodes out of some ancient gas engine. The property I live on now is part of an ancient dairy but it was a shop area and the ground is so full of nuts and bolts it's like you have to dig up everything. I think I remember finding a liberty dime here.

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I almost found enough pennies to pay for my $1000 machine, now I need a knee operation. lol

I owned Whites, the new ones have a screen that let's you what it is before you dig-penny, dime , quarter, ring...

It's a fun hobby, I keep one in my truck for pop up locations, I like to hunt old abandoned farms and homes. Good spots can be along old sidewalks, porches, old clothing line poles, hand well pumps,old pay phones, old fruit stand locations, big mature shade trees, driveway areas were people get in their cars. It is fun to dig up old silver coins or gold rings.

I found a gold class ring once, I went to the school and looked up the owner, That was a grin handing it over to the women that lost the ring on her first date with her deceased husband, 40 yrs. later!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.