1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mercury truck???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by ntgr8, May 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Went to get my tin hotel(travel trailer) from storage and saw a Mercury pickup there. This truck looked just like a Ford but had Merc name tags. Looked to be about a 67 or so model 100. I don't remember that Merc made a pickup for the US market, would this be a Canada Ford? If its a US truck how rare is it?

2. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Here ya go.....

Starting in April 1946, and running thru March 23, 1968, Canadian truck buyers had a choice of two nameplates on Ford trucks built in Canada. Because smaller Canadian towns had either a Ford-Monarch or Lincoln-Mercury-Meteor dealer, but not both, the L-M-M network got the Mercury truck. Canadian Ford trucks that were sold through Ford dealers were nearly the same as the US Ford trucks. Almost everything on them was shared, you could only tell them apart through serial numbers and other codes. At first, two Mercury trucks were sold for every five Fords sold. During 1947, though, the ratio climbed to two Mercurys for every three Fords.

Virtually every Ford truck model was duplicated as a Mercury for Lincoln-Mercury-Meteor dealers over the years, panels, Unibody (61-63), Econoline, sedan deliveries, 4X4's, even fire trucks and school bus chassis. In 1958, Mercury and Ford trucks were available in 300 models.

In 1948 Ford introduced a restyled Pickup which continued through 1952. During this period Ford introduced the "F" prefix. The 1/2 ton was called an F-1. The medium duty 3/4 ton trucks were referred to as an F-2. The F-3 designation meant a one ton truck. The "F" series continued through F-8 for big trucks.

Between 1948 and 1968 Ford of Canada used the "F" prefix for Ford and "M" for Mercury. In 1948-49-50 nominal tonnage ratings have been replaced by a series designation, the code numbers indicates the G. V. W. when equipped with tires of appropriate capacity rating. Each code number is arrived at by dividing the rated G. V. W. of the series by 100. Thus F-47 (M-47) indicates a G. V. W. of 4700 lbs., F-135 (M-135) indicates 13500 lbs., etc. Each truck series is rated to its G. V. W. In 1951-52 Ford got back in step with Ford of USA with F-1 (M-1), F-2 (M-2) and so forth.
    (G. V. W. - Gross Vehicle Weight - weight of chassis, cab and body, plus payload)

The next Pickup style covered the years 1953-1956. The cabs were totally restyled. The front windshield was now smartly slanted, increasing the windshield area tremendously. The "F" series numbers were modified to F-100, F-250, F-350, and so on.

The 1957-1960 Pickups were again completely redesigned. "Slab sides" replaced the "fat fender" look. These trucks were the first to offer a standard true wide bed. Running boards disappeared.

The next restyle came in 1961-1966, with the introduction of the controversial "integral cab" (Unibody) Styleside pickup. In 1963 Ford reinstated the old non-integral 61-62 box style, and in 1964 abandoned the Unibody styling. In 1965 twin I-beam independent front suspension was introduced.

The 1967 and 1968 pickup trucks underwent another styling change, producing crisper body lines. Ford further transformed pickups with option packages offering car-like comfort and convenience, not just utility.

On March 23, 1968 the last true "Factory" Mercury truck was built. Many Mercury dealers, continued to rebadge Ford trucks on special order thru 1968.

3. Steve A.

Steve A. Member

Interesting automotive info -- thanks for posting.

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I recall as a kid seeing Mercury tailgates on Ford pickups. particularly the 67 on body style. Some were simply obtaining the tailgates from Canadian dealers and bolting them on their trucks.

One Lincoln-Mercury dealer here went so far as to take a '71 Ranchero pickup and bolt Mercury Cyclone front end sheetmetal and doors on it, and add Mercury badges. This was their parts shop delivery truck. I thought it was a pretty cool conversion.

A little more radical is a circa 1963 T-Bird that a local T-Bird parts dealer (The Bird Nest) has converted into a pickup. They call it a Thundero, and the badges say just that.

Also remember seeing a few Fargo (Dodge) pickups running around.

5. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I started going to Quebec to fish and hunt in 1968 and seen a lot of Ford trucks with the Mercury tailgate. The most odd thing I noticed was when I was in a gas station and seen a new at the time Pontiac Bonneville, but it had a different name other then Bonneville with the hood open. The engine was a inline 6 and had enough room left in the compartment for someone to stand in there and work on it. I think the standard engine in the US for this car was a 389 V8.

8. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

That car was probably a Parisian, the 3 were Strato Chief..Laurentian and the Parisian...

9. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy TS Member

When I was a kid my dad had a 1939 Plymouth truck. Pretty good old truck.

10. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Two Dogs, Laurentin rings a bell. I remember it starting with a "L"

11. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I was traveling in Maine and came upon a 62 Merc unibody 100 ...it was cheap and solid with an old 240 I-6...I would have grabbed it up if my finances allowed...would have made a super streetrod with a nice big block