1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mercury Recoil Reducers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Oregunner, Nov 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

They will still slosh back and forth if they aren't exactly parallel to the bore. I say put it in the bolt hole, if it fits. Mark

2. Habib

Habib Member

Doesn't matter if they are parallel, they don't work.

Oregunner, please explain how the sloshing works?

3. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Sure they work. They add weight to the gun. More weight = less recoil

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

After it snows and it gets warm out you can slosh around. HMB

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Install it in the stock bolt hole. I you don't have a snug fit add some tape. Yes they do work they add weight and the Mercury moves forward to aid in the recoil reduction.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

They are expensive, so they must work! :) Supposedly the mercury sloshing back and forth spreads out the recoil impact. I agree that the major advantage of using one is the additional weight. The OP was asking how to install one, and it sounded like he already had it, so I wasn't going to tell him not to buy one. Experiment: Take a plastic gallon milk jug and fill it half full of water (4 pounds) then take a 4 pound dumbbell weight. Ask your wife to hit you with both of them, and you decide if the slosh helps. Mark

(Edited to fix weight of water)

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Oregunner, a gallon jug half full of water would be closer to 4 pounds?

Consider a pipe half full of water placed against the shoulder instead? And a dumbbell the same weight, slam both with a ball bat and see how that sloshing works first hand? The bat(guns recoil)will drive the pipe past the liquid, that hurts instantly, then the liquid slams into the front of the pipe(liquid recoil reducer). Having two pounds to protect you from an outside force is very different than being hit directly by it.

A solid weight will react quicker to such outside forces. The entire weight must be moved acting quicker than a liquid sliding forward first. By that time, the gun has already kicked you. Adding any weight to a shotgun helps, some is just faster acting than others.

Hap

8. Habib

Habib Member

Hap, you summed it up pretty well with one sentence "By that time, the gun has already kicked you."

9. 3357

3357 Member

I added an 8 ounce mercury reducer to my KX-5, It worked because my KX-5 now weighs 8 ounces more than it did.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I bought a used mercury reducer from someone on ts.com and tried it.

I could not tell if it reduced recoil. It certainly was not as effective as a very soft recoil pad.

It also unbalanced the gun when placed in the mag tube.

11. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I think mercury recoil reducers are great

I've never owned one or shot with one, but one time I was on a job and the lady that owned the house asked me if I could get rid of 40 lbs of mercury she had, like a dip stick I said sure, figuring it should have some value, and it does, but try to find somebody who will buy it, it is almost impossible, but I stumbled onto a guy that makes them in Lewis Kansas, he bought the mercury at a low price, and I got rid of it

If anybody ever wants to give you some mercury, do not take it, it is like radioactive waste trying to get rid of it

12. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

I have one of these mercury wights in my 390 stock and one for the end cap. Yea they are a bunch of hoooey on doing what you would think the mercury does. But they work wonders as added weight. Slows down the recoil noticably. Plus the end cap helps weigh the barrel down a bit so it doesnt jump when I shoot it. Mercury is nonsense but the added weight does work. Just my 2 cent

13. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I have one in all three trap guns. Jon

14. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

I added one in the stock of my 3200 and it definitly made an improvement. I
    Have since added 2 to my 870. one in stock and one in mag tube. Made a big difference.

15. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Mercury doo-hickies = expensive added weight.

Doo-hickies with metal weight with springs in front are in the same class.

If these manufacturers would use a very heavy metal of round stock they'd be doing shooters more of a service. More weight with less diameter which shooters would buy with glee because that works better and quicker at reducing felt recoil!!

Hap

16. Habib

Habib Member

These "doo-hickies" remind me of the table cloth trick. The recoil is the table cloth being pulled away. The mercury is the china that just sets there and doesn't move.

17. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

I have always put a reducer in all my guns had frank obrian make me up 16 oz. one recoil is less than without one and maybe a 16 oz. weight of lead would do the same but I just liked frank O geo 3

18. LUGNUTZ426

LUGNUTZ426 TS Member

It would be great to see actual charts and graphs showing a controlled test of mercury devices vs equal amount of added weight. Perhaps the data is already
    complied somewhere? When the mercury reducers are advertised it only says that they reduce recoil. It doesn't say they are more effective than adding just a weight, so they are telling the truth, but perhaps not the whole truth?

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

They only work if they are filled with the heavy variety of Mercury.

20. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Tried lead shot in the stock bolt hole, but that was a mess. Bought a mercury recoil reducer and I really like it. First it really balanced the gun out from being too front heavy and added some weight. Not sure if the mercury helps recoil, but it wasn't that expensive and I like the results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.