1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mercury recoil reducer question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomr1, Mar 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomr1

tomr1 Member

I was just curious if anyone has tried one of the mercury filled recoil reducers used in the top barrel of you O/U while shooting singles or handicap? Can you tell that much of a difference? Do they work? Thanks in advance!

2. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

I don't think the Mercury in the reducer helps, its the approx. 8 oz of weight that make the little difference in felt recoil.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What XP100 said. They work, but its primarily because the gun is heavier.

4. wm rike

wm rike Member

They do help. Whether it is simply the weight or if the mercury adds something can be debated, but....Years back I picked up a friend's gun that had twin reducers in the butt and the only thing it did when the trigger was pulled was quiver a bit - no felt recoil. The total effect was way more than an extra pound or whatever would have accomplished.

5. Johnny

Johnny Well-Known Member

Don't waste your money on those things, use simple weight instead.

6. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

To answer the question, yes they do work to reduce the recoil. I found it to be a pain to use in the top barrel when shooting singles/handicap because if the barrel is tipped up slightly when closing the reducer will sometimes slip out. They are heavy and make nice dents in the stock if they come in contact. It is a distraction, something else to think about when shooting.

7. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

I think they do help and have used one for many years. The benefit of the mercury reducer is the weight density of the mercury- you get more weight in a smaller package compared to lead.

I have used both stock and barrel models and they are great just as long as you keep your gun in balance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.