1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mercury Outboard Motor

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by glenn mcleod, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

The Mercury 25 HP outboard and the Honda 25HP are about the same price and the dealer says the Mercury is the better motor now because it has EFI and the Honda & Yamaha still have a carburator which is not as good. He claims I will be much happier with the Mercury. What do you arm chair mechanics think? Glenn

2. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Lots of Hondas and Yamahas that have worked fine for years with carbs. Merc makes a great product also. Which is better will depend on how long Merc has had the EFI in production and if they have worked all the bugs out of it yet. Seems like all new EFI systems have to go through a teething period.

3. REA

REA TS Member

A dealer told me Yamaha parts were very expensive. I've worked on some older Mercs, 1983 or older and didn't like them. Poor wiring, hard to work on and so forth.

I prefer Johnsons and Evinrudes. Suzuki's are good. Tohatsu parts are expensive. Actually, they all are but some are higher than others.

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

In larger engines, IMO Mercury is best. In smaller engines, say 40 HP down, Evinrude and Johnson IMO were best. That said, between a Mercury 25 HP and a Honda 25 HP, I would buy the Honda. Honda makes great products and IMO a Honda 25 HP with a carb will run just about forever so long as it is serviced as required and given clean fuel.

Parts from all vendors are expensive but most outboards are not run all that much. Frequent use makes them go on forever.

I love my Honda lawnmower. It has a carb and starts easily after 10 years.

I had an OMC made Lawnboy with a carb that lasted over 20 years until the deck rusted out. Great mower.

Ed Ward

5. mrtbone

mrtbone TS Member

Real Americans but American

6. bill2

bill2 Member

May I say that four stroke has the least gas consumption in any brand a consideration while you shop.
    Bill

7. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

This new Mercury is a 4 stroke and is also very quiet. I've never been fond of the old mercury but the dealer says I'll be sorry if I don't go with the EFI because it is better and the rest are switching to the EFI because it is better. I did talk to a mechanic and he said you MUST drain the gas out of the carburator inn the fall or he'll be working on it in the spring. I was hoping someone that owns a Mercury EFI motor would weigh in. Thanks for the replys. Glenn

8. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I do know if a car was made with a carb, it would probably not sell today. Motorcycle buyers also want EFI so I think that should answer your question. EFI starts much easier for sure and the mileage is better, requires less up keep

9. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Cubancigar, This is exactly what the salesman says. Thanks Glenn

10. JEB

JEB Active Member

I would go for an EFI system every time, also for a 4 stroke rather than a two stroke. Once you change from carbs to fuel injection, you will never go back.

J Bergman

11. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

Get the Merc and enjoy the FI. This is my 1952 "Thunderbolt" KG9 Still running strong!If any one has one of these to sell drop me an E-mail just remove the XX.
    Thanks, Scott

12. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

We have a 2004 Honda 9.9 4 cycle and it won't even get a 14 ft alum narrow bottom john boat up on plane. It is good for slow trolling and a fair boat anchor. The big honda's are a different story. I would take the Mercury! Jackie B.

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Is it any value that it will start all the time?

If it is- go with the EFI

Gene

14. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I will always stick with Mercury's. I worked there during summer vacations from college in the early '60's when the main plant at Fond du Lac, Wi. was a converted big old dairy barn. They were good about giving college kins summer jobs. I even raced outboards when Mercury and the local paper sponsored a race up Lake Winnebago and The Fox River at Oshkosh. Old man Kiekhaefer the owner would fire you for looking cross wise. He once fired a worker sitting on his butt at the loading dock and gave him severance pay. He didn't realize the worker was a truck driver was waiting for a fork lift and worked for some trucking co.-I was there.

15. LABS4U0

LABS4U0 TS Member

I have a 1989 115 hp Mercury behind a 1850 Lund Tyhee and it still starts on the first crank. Darren

16. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have a Merc EFI 4 stroker 2004 model. Its quiet, easy on fuel, always starts on the first or second crank. Just went out this afternoon and fired it up as the fishing will be getting good here in a couple of weeks. Second crank it fired up after 5 months outside storage!

Clean fuel and proper care will insure a long life.

I like my Mercury's!

Bob Schultz

17. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Thanks Bob, That's what I wanted to hear, a personal experience with the motor. Believe it or not I can't even get my boat out of the back yard yet because of the snow banks up here in Northern Minnesota so I can take it to town and have them install the motor. I have decided on the EFI and the Mercury. Glenn

18. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Glen,

Maybe a snowmobile would be more useful? Send some of that Global Warming to Al Gore would you?

You will like the Merc.

Bob

19. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Twoatlow8, I remember that Merc well. I had one on my 10' hydroplane I raced back in late 50's. Great motor.

20. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Doda, You just might be right, I've read that somewhere before that they are the Tohatsu design. Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.