1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mercedes ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 635 G, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

In the process of getting two new Mercedes vehicles. These will be our first Mercedes cars. The wife's car has to be ordered as it will be a 2011. I can get the exact car I want which is a 2011 E-350 wagon. The only kicker it has MB-Tex instead of leather. I've told that MB-Tex wears better, is easier to maintain. But how is its comfort and feel in cold & hot conditions compared to leather.

Thanx--Phil Berkowitz

2. oz

oz Active Member

I am a long time MB tech. you can't tell the difference until about 20 years. oz

3. dave-320c

dave-320c Well-Known Member

Phil:

You will love the wagon. Don't let the wife near it; don't let her drive it, ever.

Get the massage seats, dynamic seats with AC and heat, and sports suspension.

MB tex wears forever, real hard to tell the difference. Tell the wife you made a mistake with it so she won't drive it.

I have a 2004 sport suspension with air lift and the AC/heat and message seats. I speak from experience and as your friend.

I repeat, don't ever let the wife drive it. Tell her it is beneath her, its uncomfortable, that it does not match her skin color or eyes; that you will sacrifice the sedan to her because you love her so; tell her anything to keep her from the wagon.

Worked for me and should for you.

Regards, and good shooting,

Dave Swerdlin

4. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I respectfully suggest one of your new Mercedes be the SLS. <:)

Cut and paste this link. It's too long to put in the field above.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/video-mercedes-sls-amg-tries-to-defy-the-laws-of-physics-ar83652.html

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I had a 190e with MB-Tex, but it was a 1988 model.

It wasn't bad, but it wasn't leather either. Maybe the newer stuff is even better.

6. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

The MB-Tex is perforated like their leather seats, almost maintenance free. The only difference in feel is the first 5 seconds during extremely cold or hot weather.

I had an E class 25 years ago with MB-Tex, never had any problem with it. Now days it's almost hard to find any MB without leather. My wife's ML and my S class don't even give you the option of non-leather.

I think the best of both world is the seats I found on my secretary's C-class, she has leather in the seating area, and MB-Tex on the edges where it wears most. It should last a long time without maintenance.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Can't help to comment but did you considering buying one of the great American cars from Ford? According to recent quality reports they are better than MB.

TB

8. dhip

dhip Active Member

Hmmm,just read where some tell folks to buy American as far as Shot etc.,,,why not yhe same for cars?

Doug H.

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

A Mercedes Benz is not complete without a kompressor!

Jim Skeel

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Kompressor = Turbo Charger.

Eric

11. Steve W

Kompressor is actually Supercharge. It doesn't "lag" before turbo kicks in.

12. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Have always preferred a supercharger ("kompressor" in German) to a turbo because of instant availability of power.

13. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Not that it matters, but the twin turbos on the new Ford 3.5 engine don't lag at all. They are very small Rockwell turbos, about the size of an orange. They spin up very fast, makes SHO merge pretty painlessly...actually one must control the right foot, or you find the speedo going far past an acceptable resting spot.

Compared to my SRT-8 however, it is very civil, and one of my considerations when deciding on the new SHO for a ride to the gun club.

14. Steve W

SHO is a great car for the money, are they still using Yamaha build engine?

15. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Ford is doing their own engine. I drove an 80's SHO with the Yamaha engine, it was truly ahead of its time and quick in the day.

Ford has been testing the engine in the SHO for a couple of years. The little turbos spin up really high and fast, but have been tested extensively through 150K miles. That's at least 3 times as long as I will need.

The other factor in choosing the SHO besides the 365 HP engine, were features and comfort. It has leather, cooled and heated seats, comfort seats that have back and bottom massage units in them, key less ignition/doors, and most importantly the laser cruise control. Once I set a unit, I really don't want to kick it off again, and this unit works well. The navigation and sync utility work as well or better than Lexus or Infiniti models I have owned.

Integrated with the adaptive cruise is pre-collision system. Ironically I was coming back from my wife's store in Turlock right after getting the SHO, and was thinking to myself I will never use the early warning system...only to have a pile up right in front of me making a sweeping curve in Modesto area. Normally no big deal, foot was on the brake very fast, but the car was quicker. Sounded like an air raid horn going off, a row of red lights on the dash next the windshield flashed off/on quickly, and the brakes on their own started a smooth and controlled stop in plenty of time.

I was sitting waiting for the mess to clear thinking I should not be thinking about features I might never use.

16. Steve W

Great report on the new SHO, thank you. I'm a Ford person, all my company trucks are Ford, I also have an Expedition, loved it. Next time, I'll pay more attention to their sedans.

Now back to the topic, I really don't think anyone can talk Phil out of buying a Mercedes, owning a Mercedes is not as simple as comparing 0-60 or how comfortable the seats are, it's a fine car with great history of vehicle making, the safety features and their legendary ability to avoid an accident is on top of the industry. I've been driven Mercedes for 30 years, I'm a happy customer.

17. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Have you considered the new 565 horsepower Cadillac? Now that's "Cadillac Style", not some sedate MB that is cookie cutter. Actually, I'll admit, I wanted to throw out a good cast and those AMG MB's to die for; but so is that Caddy...

18. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

My current car is a 2010 XC 70, the new Benz wagon is light years ahead of it for comfort & safety, It will hold 3 shotguns in a gun vault & a gun buggy. My wife wants a sedan, she looked at Cadillac & Lincoln-the Cadillac was like buying a 10 year old car, the feel was like a 1997 Chevy. The trucnk in the Lincoln had a high lift over, small opening & combined witha lack of folding rear seats-made it a no sale. The comparison of these cars to a Mercedes is a no brainer. We spent approximately less than 10 minutes in the domestic dealerships.
    It similar to this anolgy, you can break targets with any gun, but what would you rather have a Kriegoff, Perazzi, Infinity or a BT99

Phil Berkowitz

19. glenns

glenns Member

Phil - I shoot a BT-99. What is it about Perazzi's that make worth spending the additional $5-7,000?

20. Steve W

Well, Phil may have picked a "not-so-good" example for comparing shotguns. BT is one good shotgun, hard to beat with it's price. :)

Comparing shotguns and vehicle is very different, all shotguns can break targets, the difference is in the details of fit / finish, and how it holds up 50,000 rounds later. But vehicle is 1000 times more complicated, from the moment you set your foot on the accelerator, to the first corner you pass above speed limit, you'll see day & night different.

As I said before, the vehicle's ability to avoid an accident is the most important thing I look for when I evaluate a car. This one sets the difference between a good car and an average car.

One accident to avoid makes all the high maintenance and ownership cost worthwhile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.