1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mercedes Cost of Ownership?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by richrob, Nov 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

I am considering buying a 2008 C Class and was interested in anybody's experience with owning a Benz. I am interested in things like routine maintenance and expenses. Did you take yours to the dealership for all your oil changes ($300) or a standard lube shop? What else came up?

Thanks, Rich

2. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

1300 miles for a set of brake pads seems very low. Did you mean 13,000 miles. Even that would be excessive wear for any modern car.

A friend of mine works as a technician for a Mercedes dealer and does not own one. He says the cars are great, very high tech and safe. Just be sure to sell it before the warranty runs out or leave a usable credit card with the dealer.

3. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

My friend has one that has been sitting in his garage the last 4 years cause no one can fix the electrical problem it has. The ABS light comes on , the car dies and wont start. Tow home. Let sit for a month or two, car starts back up on its own. Most dealerships won't even touch it, some want a blank check.! Birdtracker

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

I have a local Mercedes mechanic and have not taken to the dealer. My oil changes are $90 and I supply my own Amsoil.

Brakes at 13K, I just had mine done and you wouldn't believe me if I told you how many I got on mine. I do a lot of highway miles and that helps my mileage, but my tech asked if I had them done somewhere else. Said he couldn't feed his family based on my repairs.

This is my first Benz and I am totally happy. 160K on it right now and know I will be needing some repairs, but it has been the best vehicle I have ever purchased. If you can, find a used one, like a lease return or someone that trades often. Mercedes are not majical and DO depreciate.

5. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

MBNA, unlike BMW, does not pay for maintenance while the car is under factory warranty. If you are thinking about buying a new Mercedes-Benz, go to the dealer and have the salesman show you the scheduled maintenance and then show you the costs as of today (they will rise with cost increases). Plan accordingly. If you are buying used, I'd get one that's still under factory warranty and, ideally, is Starmarked. Then, depending on the model, I'd buy extra coverage. For example, the SL and S models are particularly expensive to repair as are the AMG models. More so, in my opinion and experience than the ML, E, CLK or C. I've owned them all and love the experience of driving what many still consider the best engineered driving machine.

You can find non-dealer mechanic shops that will work on your MB, and you may save some $. I prefer the dealers because I know from experience that, if anything goes wrong with the work, as a returning customer, I can get it handled. Just remember to be sure they are up to speed on your year and model. Do they give you a loaner? Do they wash your car and vacuum it before returning it to you? Do they always have access to the parts you might need? Etc. Etc.

Also, if you buy a MB new or used, no matter who you are or where you are, car under warranty or 25 years old and 250k on the clock, if you get stranded, you can call their 800 number and they will send the nearest on-call dealer tech to your car. He'll jump it or repair a flat for free. If he can't get it to start, he'll arrange a tow. After that, you're on your own. But, it's nice to know that service is there.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL
    Currently in the stable
    2007 GL450
    2007 ML350

6. M-16

M-16 TS Member

I own a 87 300 Diesel. I was totally surprised when buying normal parts for it [ brakes ball joints, tierod ends, and ect... ] they were not any more money then parts for my tarus. Their are certian parts that have a MB price tag but I injoy working on my MB over the big 3 makers. Biggest joy I recieve is when people think I must be doing great to own one when they have more money in their /kids chevy colbat or simulair car.

7. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'd never buy a vehicle, when the biggest issue is getting it repaired. I'd rather buy a domestic, change the oil and drive it 100,000 miles and get a new one....Most folks today don't loathe others cars, like they were once thought to.

Todays cars should not need to be in the shop through their useful life, if Mercedes is that much trouble to keep on the road, it must not be anywhere near the great car it's claimed to be.

Me thinks they are more for the snob effect, than their value.

With todays economy and the value of the Dollar vs the Euro.......and when a P.U. costs as much as a Mercedes,,,,,what could be so great about them.

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

With domestic cars the biggest issue is getting them repaired... Too frequently.

9. richrob

richrob TS Member

Thanks for the info, what drew me to it was the exterior. I was driving by and like the looks so I stopped in and worked out a few numbers. It's at a small dealership that has quite a few high end cars on the lot and the sales person told me they could do routine maintenance in house, I wanted to see what other people thought about letting a non MB certified tech working on their car. The car is used but with low miles and I know the previous owner.

Someone mentioned extending the warrenty, is that simply done through a MB dealer? I am on the road quite a bit and plan on putting well over 100k on it, but don't what to get sticker shock when it's time for some work.

- Rich

10. dshot

dshot Member

Been drining them for years, dealership maintance is very costly when needed, there roadside service is great. Maintance runs higher at dealership than other shops using all mercedes replacement parts.

11. ewayne

ewayne TS Member

There is a reason they lost two wars.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Put on some spoke wheels, turn your hat around and you'll fit right in the crack neighborhood!!

Curt

13. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Sticker shock will occur no matter what shop you engage. Just the way it is. The lawn mower shop I use now is at $65.00 per hr. Jake

14. dimapower

dimapower Member

Having a history with both Merc and BMW:<br><br>

Cost of Ownership:<br><br>

Mercedes > BMW<br><br>
    Fun to Drive (a driver's car):<br><br>
    BMW > Mercedes<br>
    <br>
    = why I don't own a Mercedes anymore

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

1990 300D, 205,000, always serviced by the dealer. Every 5K for oil and lube, 10K for alinement, 20K transmission service. Best car I've ever owned. Always 34-36 mpg. Paint still looks great, and inside looks like new. I can't wear the thing out. Uses 1/4 of a quart of oil between service's, and alway's has, since new. I never have had any problem having a minor part replaced, when required (seldom) and the cost was not anymore than repair on my other cars. Would I buy another? Yes, If this on ever wears out.........

16. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

American vehicles do not require any more maintenance than foreign vehicles. I drove a Chev Tahoe 170,000 with only 2 set of brakes and a couple of batteries. It did require a tranny at about 100,000 but it was never serviced and I was pulling a 10,000 lb trailer with a vehicle rate to pull about 5,000. That one is still being driven by the guy who bought it from me. My current vehicle is a Ford Expedition that has 90,000 miles and has only required a battery and one set of brakes.

Just change the oil every 7,000 and drive. My SUV's are used for work and get beat up rather badly.

17. dverna

dverna Active Member

1999 E Class. 430 V-8

158,000 miles

Brakes and tune up at 95,000 miles. Oil changes every 10,000 miles - Mobil 1

Serviced at dealer.

Still runs and rides like new.

Put a paint job into her last year and looks like new too.

Still gets over 25 MPG on the highway.

What is not to like?

Don Verna

18. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I've had M-B for almost 20 years now. Best cars I've ever owned, period. The ride is better than any domestic and the quality comes through time and again. For your own curiosity, pick a 3 y/o M-B and give it the once over. How are the interior parts looking, condition etc. Then go look at another make with similar year and miles. nuff said. I've used the same dealership for all this time. They have on occasion stood behind the car when it was out of warranty. Including a complete engine rebuild when a cylinder head gasket went out at 5,000 miles past warranty. Just put on new tires, the dealer called and asked if they could put on upgrade tires at the same price as the regular tires since they didn't have the regular tires in stock. Gee, lemme think. The brakes seem to need replacement on a too frequent basis, not sure if it is me driving too hard or not. Tires are the same, high performance wears fast. Otherwise, do the regular service every 15K for around $500-800 and drive it like I stole it.

Hal Hitchcock 2006 CLS500

19. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

EE: you been smoke'in wacky weed?

20. wm rike

wm rike Member

I take one of my cars to a local shop that specializes in German cars. He makes it very clear that if you want to make distinctions, German cars require more maintenance. Parts can be very expensive to very reasonable in price. Labor is labor, but what you commonly find is that there is a lot more labor involved doing something on a German car vs. doing the same thing on a Ford/Chevy. Hmm, maybe there's a similarity between their cars and guns.

My son has an MB and it has two spark plugs per cylinder - typical German overkill?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
2006 cls500 cost of ownership

mercedes cost of ownership