1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mentally Defective

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by larryjk, Apr 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larryjk

larryjk Member

The media is running around in circles and getting Charles Schumer to testify.
    Question 11.f on the ATF Form 4473, "Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective or have you ever been committed to a mental institution? Only a real crazy would answer yes if they wanted to buy a gun. 11.c "Have you ever been convicted of a felony, etc. If you have been convicted and lie on 11.c, the US Supreme court says you cannot be prosecuted because to require you to tell the truth would violate your right to avoid self incrimination. And the laws will only work for the honest.

2. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

There may be an interesting...( read:scary) trend developing here. In a future reality of a Democrat president, and left-wing Democrat Congress...wonder how long it will take them to initiate new federal regulations to the effect that since no sane person would contest "reasonable gun safety controls"...if you publicly stand up for your Second Amendment rights...you must be a mental defective and your guns may be confiscated "in the interest of public safety".
    Hhhmmmmm......

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Only free people can own weapons.

the victims of VT were not free people at the time. And the unfortunate thing is they did not realize it.

Scary times happening now. To be "safe" the sheep will gladly lay down their arms.

Ted Nugent for President.

HM

4. ANTRIM UDF

ANTRIM UDF TS Member

I remember Reema Samaha.

5. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Larry, I'm just wondering...Does that mean that one just fills out and signs the form and then nobody ever does a background check?

In this day of widespread, lightening-speed information transfer, it seems that it would be easier to see if somebody had been convicted before. The medical information is where you would have the problems, due to HIPAA requirements.

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Curvey, no, there's still the "instant check" by the dealer to the State Police in the state where the sale is happening but as we see from Va. Tech, that isn't 100% effective either. The question on the ATF 4473 is just the beginning of the sale process....breakemall....Bob Dodd

7. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Bob. I have never purchased a new gun before, so I didn't know.

You'd think that a check across the U.S. would be done, but I guess that the FEDS still have not linked all of the state information systems together yet.

The mental illness check is NEVER going to work. As I stated before, due to HIPPA requirements, medical personnel cannot share your records unless you sign for them to do so. Nobody will want mental illness information to be shared with law enforcement (or anyone else, for that matter). That part of the check is pretty useless.

8. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

The "instant check" is to the FBI via telephone. The problem in the Virginia Tech case was the states have not previously been required to report those adjudicated to be mentally defective. Senator Chuck Schumer (yes I know he is notoriously anti-gun) is introducing legislation to require states to report that information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
effective day for reviced aug 2008 form 4473

federal form 4473 mental defective

form 4473 mentally defective