1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mentally challenged, Security challenged

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rw993, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rw993

rw993 Active Member

No one seems willing to say it... Mom was responsible for the school shooting. If she had lived she should have been charged. Enforcing a secure weapons law IE: Your underage charge kills someone with your weapon, you go to jail. That would get the attention of many who do not secure weapons in the home environment. There are really only two issues to address regarding better gun safety accountability

1. Mental instability It's not the size of the brain, It's how it is used!!

2. Responsibility for weapon security.

FIX THAT.

Ron Wilson

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Sorry Ron,

But that is not the problem here, HE the shooter was and is responsible for HIS actions, NO ONE else.

Its called "Personal responsibility" a action that the PC crowd has destroyed along with trial lawyers in this Country.

Just watch the trial in Colorado, PC at its finest!!

3. 87AA

87AA TS Member

This of course is a complex issue. But "weapons security" is real tricky.

Like most here I have a safe bolted to my house foundation to secure my weapons. I am willing to attest to that fact. But how do the authorities really know that to be true? The only way I see is for someone to knock on my door and check things out. That just isn't going to happen. Hell even the much decried ACLU would jump all over that.

Law abiding gun owners should be responsible for proper security. The fact that some aren't gives all of us a bad name.

4. Skeetbender

Skeetbender Active Member

Right there with you to a point the mother and the health care system dropped the ball. Mostly the mother you just don't bring guns in and train the kid to use them.

Been saying this from day one.

Have a little experience with the mental health system failing even with getting the law involved after serious threats on her own kids lives.

This woman would keep getting turned loose she was nuts but very smart.
    Sad to say the best outcome for them was that finally suicide cured her.

But not until after 10yrs of threats and living hell for her husband (my brother in-law) and their kids.

We will have to see how damaged the boys are ages 7 & 11.
    One the older boy looks like he will be ok the other younger boy the jury is still out on he has had some serious behavior issues at school and home.

5. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Ron,

That was quite a brain fart. Didn't hurt you, did it?

Many years of dem instituted "no corporal punishment", and behavioral drugs to correct, make the kids without morals and uncontrollable.

You spank your kid, YOU go to jail!

The kids see no corrective action, and no penalty for bad behavior during their upbringing.

And gun free zones?

Dems are responsible for all bad happenings.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Scooterbum's post is spot on.

Thinking "drugs" can somehow replace parental guidance and upbringing is a huge fallacy. Child rearing the right way was never meant to include drugging a child to control him/her. We have the PC crowd to thank for that as well as laws passed by lawyer politicians after listening to clinical psychologists.

Lanza's mother mistakenly thought she could connect with her mentally unstable son by buying guns and teaching him how to shoot at the range?

The drugs of choice for controlling mentally/behavior challenged kids have some responsibility for their weird reactions to it.

This isn't a gun problem at all, it's the result of the (PC) correctness crowd that's ruining our great country.

Hap

7. rw993

rw993 Active Member

The press nor the politicos have even mentioned culpability on the mothers part as that is PC since she's dead. Maybe I am missing something Timber, Can't tell blunt from sarcasm on here, but as usual rarely is something responded to on point here. I guess making someone responsible for a root cause is inappropriate and I can just leave my stuff laying around for any family member to access whether they are over 21, under 21, Brilliant, Stupid, Retarded, Challenged, or just mean and out of control. Probably won't hide the keys to the car anymore either.

Why wouldn't the parent be responsible. WHO ELSE WILL BE? THE MENTALLY CHALLENGED???? No one has to go inspect. FEAR to the rational is effective. The fear response of the aflicted is not rational or existant in many cases. These episodes that create threats to our freedom with weapons are very often done by the afflicted.

It's no cure all, but it has to be addressed. They are going to implement something. If it does not encompass issues that are obvious then you will just get a Mag restriction or a restriction because of a guns looks instead of mechanics. If that is all that is changed then we will experience more of the whack jobs and this process WILL be repeated and it will always be the downslope never the upslope for us.

RW

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Leaving her guns accessible to her son who she KNEW to be mentally unstable was foolish. Many underage youngsters are fine with access to the family's firearms, but the elephant in the room remains that the kid was able to do what he did, not because he merely had access to firearms but because he KNEW there would be no resistance and he KNEW he would succeed and then end his life when HE was ready, in HIS time, not a time of someone else's choosing, BEFORE he had succeeded in achieving his objective. If he had had good reason to believe he would quickly be shot down, do you thing he would have done it at all?

9. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

He murdered her and took her guns. So she is responsible for his actions after that. I am sorry but that is about as goofy as you can get. You just as well blame his first grade teacher it makes as much sense.

jim brown

10. Beni

Beni Member

Hey Ron, A gun is a firearm first not a weapon until used as such. As a gun owner seeing all the Horiffic mass shootings makes me sick but I can still call a spade a spade. Im not Doctor but you cant convince me these people are sane. As far as security have you ever had your house broken into as I have twice. We live in the country cops never get here in time. My wife used a pump shotgun to thwart off the second intruder,as I was working midnight shift. Gun security means different things to everyone. I have taught my kids safe gun handling in and out of my home. How fast can you get your firearm out of your safe to load and defend your family if needed. All these people committing murder or mass murder are responsible for their own actions period. Beni

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Responsibility comes in many forms and one of them is to keep powerful, potentially dangerous things away from people who can't be trusted to handle those implements responsibly. The kid's mom screwed up, but that kid KNEW that what he was doing was wrong. ALL these mass shooters know.

The bottom line still remains gun free zones. Until Americans stop arguing over less meaningful details and face the bottom line, that evil is out there every day and any one or group of us may be targeted, these slaughters will continue. Everyone wants an easy nuts and bolts fix but few will countenance the only nuts and bolts fix that has always worked - making it clear that if you come in with mayhem on your mind you will quickly be shot down and die a very humiliating death and be quickly forgotten.

12. drgondog

drgondog Member

Ron - with due respect, you have zero notion regarding the facts concerning the security measures 'mom' executed as the facts surrounding this entire affair are both minimal and contradictary.

Nobody would argue that firearm and ammo security is important. Ditto for car keys and the liquor cabinet when dictated.

Are you car keys secure from your children? or friends that attend a party at your place? If one of them 'joy rided' your vehicle, or one drank too much at a party - who is responsible?

If the Lanza 'mom' secured the weapons but the kid broke security, who is responsible? If the kid is genetically flawed, what is the appropriate action?
    If your kid steals your auto without your permission and kills somebody - was it a genetic flaw in his thinking, your personal mentorship failure regarding personal responsibility and honor - or is the kid gentically 'flawed'?

The Lanza 'kid' was solely responsible for his own actions - however flawed he may have been.

BTW - Ditto for the Aurora "Joker". His security was awesome regarding theft of his personal property but thank god the police were able to break His securiry. Do you think his parents should be held accountable? His shrink? Society?

The point of the questions is that your simplistic solution is an important consideration but you lay the blame on the wrong individual.

The sicko's, the accidental killers, the martyr, the armed homeowner blowing away an intruder in his home - each with different motives, each with different circumstances, legal or not, are SOLELY responsible and accountable for their own actions.

Regards,

Bill

13. timberfaller

rw993,

No sarcasm, we forget so quickly now days in this "instant" age of information of what is true or false.

It was reported the second day after the shooting that the mother was a target shooter and she was trying to "bond" with him by teaching him how to shoot.

HE is more then just insane, shot his mother 4 times in the head before he went to the school.

What gets me is the DAD, a GE, CEO(GE the biggest Obo supporter)has never been under the spotlite.

Also He the shooter was know by most in the town to be unstable. The Mental health institution was closed 2 years ago, in which he would have been a prime candidate because of lack of funding. So the news reports claim.

The mother was getting $250,000 in alimony payments. Maybe she should have built a apartment in their home with outside locks so he couldn't run the town on his own.

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I imagine her ex is really brokenhearted that he won't have to pay her alimony anymore

15. timberfaller

OH BUT the new taxes he'll have to pay will change that!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.