1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Mental illness or animalistic tendencies?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by rpeerless, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

With the focus on mental illness, I have to question where the line will be drawn as to who is mentally ill and who is not. Truth is that anyone or anything can be deemed mentally ill.

For example, I adopted a pound puppy that grew into a big loveable pooch. Now this dog walked on a leash no problem and was well behaved until... One day I was walking her (my spayed female two year old dog) and she nearly yanked my arm off, and growled and barked, essentially went berserk at the sight of a toy white poodle being walked by an elderly lady across the street. I held on tight and checked my dog's behavior.

Now not having had this problem before with any other animal in her way I thought it was a fluke. A few days later the same thing happened. There was something about that toy white poodle that made my dog go beserk. Never figured it out, we relocated, and my dog now long diseased lived to be 16 and it never happened again. How can that bizarre behavior be explained?

So do people exhibit the same bizarre behavioral tendencies? Is there something that will trigger a bad reaction in any of us at any random time? If so, how will this be figured in to the current rant on mental illness?

If everyone is armed then everyone has an equal opportunity to self preservation whatever the mental status of those around them. Why guess? And why disarm everyone?

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have thought that often. You express it well

3. rpeerless

Also, I couldn't figure out if it was something from her pre adoption days or something instinctive like the bounciness of the poodle that annoyed her. But that was the only time it happened and I failed to mention that we had two cats and two dogs at that time and they all got along.

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Your dog is justified. Poodles make me growl and go berserk as well. Just kidding. However, could your dog have cataracts and think the size of the poodle and movement is characteristic of a cat?

5. Mapper

Mapper Member

No doubt that happens with some people. Whether they are "normal" or not is debatable. I suppose if their condition were undetectable they would appear normal. However, I do not believe that it is universal.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

The same thing was said about "Caligula."

7. rpeerless

Was thinking what makes man civil is the ability to think, conscience and rationalization along with the acceptance of religion. The rewards of being good vs the punishment for being bad.
    With the pooch, I was thinking nature/nurture. Was it something inate or something learned. Maybe she was bred to be a rabbit dog somewhere along the line and the poodle looked like a rabbit?
    One could think nature/nurture with regard to man's behavior as well taking into account evolution.

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Given that a high percentage of mental health "experts" are themselves nuttier than a fruitcake, who gets to determine who is nuts? I think the entire mental health question may be a red herring. In my opinion, it is a safe bet that even the nut cases don't want to be shot down, which is different than taking their own life AFTER they have achieved their objective. If the mentally deranged knows he/she will likely come under fire shortly after they begin their rampage, the vast majority of them won't, period. Lots of firearms spread throughout society in the hands of reasonably trained people is the greatest deterrent to mass shootings, from both the "planning it" and "at the active shooter location/event" positions.

9. rpeerless

"Given that a high percentage of mental health "experts" are themselves nuttier than a fruitcake, who gets to determine who is nuts?"

That is a great question. Imagine having a medical expert from a country other than the US on a board. How will they see your supposed illness? Will you be subject to foreign criteria for mental illness? For that matter, what do foreign countries, say Pakistan and Iraq consider criteria for mental illness? What does India or France etc. see as critera for mental illness?

And then there is the Fort Hood shooter. Work place violence, mental illness? Really? Who red flagged him?

From what I've read, some are proposing that all returning veterans must surrender their Second Amendment rights.

Another proposal is that a review of medical records must occur for all gun owners and essentially if you are on certain meds you will have to surrender your gun rights.

Will they consider old age if so what age, alcoholism, learning impaired or uneducated, blind, deaf, disabled who take medications?

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

"Given that a high percentage of mental health "experts" are themselves nuttier than a fruitcake, who gets to determine who is nuts?"

wireguy-You hit the nail on the head with that.

11. rpeerless

What drugs do the mental health experts take?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.