1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Menard's Belt?Disc Sander

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tom berry, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

Paul,

That's in the BIG 2 DAY sale add.

Link should work. If not, go to Menards.com

2. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Be careful of theses traveling tool sales. Most are nothing but over sea's JUNK. Very little is any good. Just remember the old saying "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR."

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Calling them "JUNK" is being kind.

Figure... they can manufacture the tool and its electric motor in a factory on the other side of the planet, put it in a container and sea freight it across the Pacific, pay the import and customs fees to land it, sell it and ship it to a US distributor AT A PROFIT who sells it to a US retailer AT A PROFIT who sells it to a US consumer AT A PROFIT for a final price of..... $49 dollars.

Were you expecting quality materials and workmanship?

MK

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Auctioneer...........Menard's is a large chain store (from Wisconsin) like Lowe's, Home Depot. etc. etc.. Paul Menard (drives NASCAR) is son of founder and they sponsor his car.

MK.....You just described the way I feel about all imports since I was a kid being drowned in Japanese junk. Now its spread around the world.

5. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Paul........I just got the ad and its for 3 days. I'm kinda thinking like you are, it will pay for itself in one or two jobs. If it lasts longer good if not no big deal.

Bill

6. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>...When/if it quits I'll either buy another cheapie or look for a better one,...</I></blockquote> Yeah...why not add more trash to the landfill?

The Chinese are running out of room to bury their own garbage. They got it piled in the streets. So why don't the rich Americans pay them to send it HERE so we can bury it for them.

MK

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I had occasion to use a few Wen tools.

The soldering guns and pencils are fine.

The rest is garbage. If you only want to use it a few times that's great, and the final anlaysis is the cost differential for a good tool you can hand down to your grandkids.

HM

8. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

I wouldn't go shopping on Black Friday if you put a gun to my head.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I picked up a very nice older Craftsman disk/belt sander a while back off of my local craigslist. It has the 9" disk and 4" wide belt and is made of cast iron and heavy steel stampings. The motor is a 3/4hp to boot. I paid $30 for it and spent another $20 on new disks and a belt (from Sears). I spent about 2 hours cleaning and trueing the belt. It'll last me the rest of my life and I only have $50 and a couple of hours time invested.

ss

10. Unknown1

I've been looking for one of those for years.

MK

11. andybull

andybull Active Member

This doesn't really have anything to do with the Mennard's add;

Years ago, I bought an old (cast iron) 6" belt/disk sander combination from a newspaper add. I'm now closing down my business (partially due to the imported junk)and decided to take one of the newer larger belt disk units from my shop. When I set it up, I noticed that it is made in Taiwan, it is a heavy duty cast iron one but my old cast iron made in the USA is better. I also have an old Delta cast iron band saw (it's so old that I think Christopher Columbus brought it with him on his ship) that runs circles around the new ones.

BTW, let's keep buying cheap $hiet from overseas, we'll be having to learn Mandarin sooner than later.

Andy

12. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

If you want a combo belt and disc sander. Grizzly has the one for you. All types and prices.
    I use the 48 belt and 9" disc. It's in my home wood working shop. It has the power and size to do almost any thing I need to do.

13. thunder

thunder Active Member

purchased a cheap Wen 18volt cordless drill two years ago at Menard's for 14.99 on black Friday. Its still going strong but only use it with barrel bore brush to clean out bore and choke tubes. Also used to screw in a few screws now and then in my basement for small projects.

14. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I remember going to one of those traveling tool sales in Omaha in the late 1970's. I bought a bench grinder for like $12. Guess what? I've still got it, and it still works great, after many grinding wheels have been worn out on it. So, all is not junk.......

15. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Wen was junk fifty years ago and is still junk. Can't get away from yamaguchi stuff much at all any more. Grizzly is Chinese and or Taiwan, mostly Chinese. Wanted to buy a floor model hobby size drill press for the garage about twenty years ago. Figured I would go to Sears, ha it was made in Taiwan ended up with a new in the box AMT at an household auction. Well it was from Taiwan also. One thing is the EPA put just about all the gray iron foundries out of business in this country plus the lousy exchange rate and the Chinese have taken over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
belt and disc sander menards
belt and disk sander menards

menards belt sander

menards belt sanders

menards belt sanders table model

menards beltdisc

menards disc sanders

sanders at menards