Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memory lane walk... Free stuff

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Dr.Longshot 
#1 ·
Although it's been awhile, here is some stuff I remember getting for FREE from vendors at larger shoots: Hats...FREE, T-Shirts...FREE, 3 lb samples of Lawrence brand shot...FREE, 1 lb canisters of powder(SCOTS)...FREE, two gun gun rack, (magnetic, stuck to the side of your car)...FREE, plastic snap caps...FREE, 1/2 oz. sample gun oil...FREE. Anybody else go that far back? Any other free stuff memories?

Thanks

#2 ·
How about Federal's bowls of sample wads, side shields,pins (that I'm sure many collected. Still have some of them myself. Need a part for a Mec,..tell them and they gave you what you needed, FREE. I remember those buy one get one free specials many of the vendors used to push the new powders and even a couple of powder samples I got from Winchester reps. If you turned in a bad shell, you got a couple of boxes over the counter and later got a letter from their quality control division explaining the problem and a check to buy a couple of more boxes. I guess things have got a bit tighter since. God, its hell to get old a still be able to remember these things.

Big Jack

#5 ·
My first year at the Grand was 1977. My Uncle stopped at one of the vendors, I can't remember which one right now. It was next to Bob Allens's building, the one on the eastern end.

In a wooden barrel outside of the store were 1100's. Just sticking up like a bunch of corn stalks. I don't even remember what he paid for it. I know it would have had to been cheap for my uncle to buy it. The part that sticks in my mind is what happened when he took it to the Remington gunsmiths. The guy checked it over and told us to come back the next day.

We stopped in after lunch the next day and the gunsmith handed him this 1100. My uncle told the guy there was some sort of mistake, that wasn't the 1100 he had brought in. The guy checked the serial number and told him that, yes sir, that is your 1100.

They told him they had cleaned and lubed the internals, replaced some springs and the O ring, and while they were at it they decided that the wood was pretty beat up. Since they didn't want anybody shooting one of their guns with that kind of wood on it.

THEY REPLACED THE STOCK AND FOREARM WITH NEW WOOD. My uncle told them he really wasn't in a position to afford that kind of upgrade. They just smiled and told him to go have fun and shoot good. NO CHARGE! I think he still has that 1100. Do they even have parts at the Grand anymore?

AJ100

#6 ·
I remember getting 100 free primers one year at the Grand. I also got a free case of "Locktite". They had a whole trailer full of it just giving it away. That free case probably lasted me 7 or 8 years. I stored it in the basement refrigerator. Now anytime I need to buy any glue I looked for the "Locktite" label.

The thing I remember about the "Bob Allen" building is the good looking girls he had working in there!! So good looking they got me to purchase a winter shooting jacket in August!

I also got a few free parts for my 1100 from "Remington".

#10 ·
One thing about Mr. Allen, he knew how to market a product.

1977, A weeks vacation, 25 years old, single, a pocketful of money, a brand new TM1, and these nice girls to hang out with after they closed for the evening.

NOW I remember why I loved trapshooting so much.

AJ100

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.