1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

MEMORIES- MEMORIES-- TRUTH FUNNIER THAN FICTION

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mike-israel, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

BARON23 --LIKED A POST I HAD ADDED TO Phil Murrys post -Winchesters Shooting Program of the late 60s- First of all an apology to Philll---DON;T WANT TO HI-JACK THE THREAD----BUT BARON23--ASKED TO SHARE SOME MEMORIES !!!!! IHAVE SOME GREAT ONES--AS PHILL DOES AND I AM SURE EVERYONE HERE DOES.

FIRST ONE 1;

When I started to shoot in 1962--JE must have been close to 80. He ran their family departement store in Sydney Nova Scotia. He used o go to England in the 20's 30's to buy British goods for his store. Told me once at the time it was easier to bring by ship to the east coast of Canada Sydney than from US or Ontario, Quebec--and english quality at that time was the benchmark. He bought his two PURDYS in the 20"s on one of his trips to London. AND THEY WERE BEAUTIES. Needless to say the only O/Us at the Cape Breton Gun Club for decades. (when he quit shooting in the 70's he sent them to Christies in NY where they sold fo $30k.) "

Point of the above history. By the time I started shooting --J E-- could't see that well. He had this great white Cadillac and would show up around 2pm on a saturday to shoot. The turn into the club was about 200yds from the clubhouse and it was the job of whomever spotted "JE " the first ,would jell out "JE's comming" and everyone would move their cars out of the way near his parking spot.

JE shot mostly skeet at my time with him as he could barely see the target---gun down of course--old school skeet. He would call for target and I swear fire at the target on timing of the click of the trap.....I did a lot of reffing and releasing--he'd turn to me--"Mike get that one?"... he could go 20-22 most days and positive didn't see most of the targets.

IF YOU LIKED THIS ONE IHAVE--MORE----PLEASE OTHERS ADD BECAUSE I AM SURE SOME GREAT STORIES OUT THERE........MIKE

under Memories.
    I have abunch of them- been around a bit started shootin 1962. I'll put up a few and invite anyone to chip in ---keepemclean....Mike

2. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

Here is another one....

Must have around 66/67..we were sitting around in the clubhouse--Cape Breton un Club . Sydney NS. Dr. Art Ormiston was nattering away abtan article he saw in Gun World. they were going to hold the World Flyer Championship in Mexico city. He turned to his shooting partner Dave McCurdy --JE's son---We could /afford that--fly Sydney ,Halifax ,NY-Mexico city.They hemmed and hawed a while in the end Art said he'd send off a letter/application to the Mexican Federation.

About three weeks later he got a nice letter in reply:

Dear Dr. Ormiston:

In answer to your letter, We would like to have you and your partner shoot our flyer shoot.

For your information and registration - the entry fee is $500.00. The compition is miss and out i.e you miss your first bird and you can go home.

Don't take umbridge but unless --------------
    you both are amongst the top 10 best shooters in Canada-we suggest you save your money and stay home.

Yours sincerly,

XXXXXXXX

Liked that class act

They didn't go!!

3. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

We were holding the Nova Scotia trap championships at the Cape Breton Gun club one year and got a good turnout as far away as the Yarmouth Gun club.
    The Lunnenburg club was also active and had a number of shooters at all the shoots.

Lunnenburg was settled by dutch famalies and were a lot of shipwrites and were noted for their ship building skills.== they built the Bluenose and the Bounty replica for Muntiny on the Bounty the--Brando one. The Wynott famaily were very active two brothers and two boys.

We had a member Len McGillvary gd shot and he was on a squad with the Wynotts.The squad was called over the PA system-------sounding like

" Wy not, Wy not , Wy not , Wy Not and McGivvary " funny .....Mike

4. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

OK DID THREE--NEXT BATTER UP--MIKE

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Heading for Coles Island,NB tomorrow Mike. Grouse and ducks open Thursday. You certainly new some affluent people for the times up there. The Maritimes are great to be in. Good health and good luck, Bob

6. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

Hey Bob--would lke to be going with you!!

7. mike-israel

mike-israel TS Member

8. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I remember one year the team captain was trying to get the team roster completed for the next year and was trying to get an older gentleman to commit himself about being on the team and he finally said with complete seriousness "if I'm still alive in the spring I'll shoot on the team" we damn near fell off the chairs laughing so hard. As I get older I can relate much better. Enjoy the day. Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.