1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Memories-Chicago Sports Stores

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JOND, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JOND

JOND TS Member

Does anyone remember any of these fine stores? VL@A[Chicago's partner to Abercrombie and Fitch]. Marshall Field's Store for "Men". Both located in the Loop and sold high quality guns and everything needed for the outdoors person. I add,Abercrombie was located in New York City. JOND

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Two other stores in Chicago on Wabash Ave that had quality guns were Eddie Bauers, and also all the way south at Lake St was Klein's sporting goods, which also had some nice guns. Handguns, too. I bought my first handgun, a Colt Detective Special, at Kleins in 1965. It cost $67.

3. JOND

JOND TS Member

Wasn't there a store called Magee's[sp?]? JOND

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bill Bartons on North Milwaukee (?) Ave @ Harlem ... Gaby Hartnet's on North Lincoln Ave ... Hal Liebers on North Ave at Harlem ... Tiedje's Sporting Arms, Maywood, Illinois ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Mages Sports bought out Kleins. They eventually moved to LaSalle St. Where they opened a huge 4 floor store.

Another downtown store long gone was Mandel Brothers. Their connection to shooting was not that they sold guns, but that the grandaughter of one of the founders was world champion woman skeet shooter, Carola Mandel - the greatest woman skeet shooter until Kim Rhode came along. Carola shot at Lincoln Park Traps in the early 60's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.