1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Memorable vacations with my grandparents

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was recently thinking of my grandparents and usually my brother and I would go on vacation with them on their annual vacation. Every year we would fly from Milwaukee to Miami beach. We would stay at the Desert Inn. The only problem was that we would go in July, and it was usually to hot to go outside, so we would stay inside the hotel room durring the day and go out and sit by the pool at night.

My grandparents would wake us up early and take us across the street to a resturant called Roscoe's. They were known for huge portions. One time I ordered a piece of pie and it was one quarter the size of the entire pie.

As soon as we got back to the hotel room, my grandma would ask us what time we should go to lunch, as we ate every meal at the same place. After lunch, we would plan the time we'd go to dinner, and once we got back from dinner, we'd plan going to Roscoe's for a late night snack.

During the day, we would sit and watch tv, as we never even went into the ocean, as my grandparents said there were sharks. Needless to say my grandmother was 4'10" and weighed about 280lbs. Most of my relatives were short as I was the tallest at 5'9" tall. Most of us were built and looked like a head on top of a coke machine.

As our vacation ended, we gained about 5 lbs that week. Our week consisted of eating at Roscoe's for every meal, sitting at the pool, and being afraid to swim in the ocean. When I would get back home my friends would ask how was Miami? I would answer fantastic. What did you do? I would answer eat and sit by the pool. Sounds fantastic, it was.
    Steve

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

When I was young... typical one-parent working class folks, we couldn't afford to travel. My Grandparents, who lived in Chicago, had a one-bedroom apartment in the "Sovereign Hotel" near Lake Michigan. My sister and I would visit for weekends with a sleeping bag, having a sleep-over and then use the hotel swimming pool for a couple days... big roof top deck to play and see the lake...

I used to enjoy sitting in the lobby, reading and watching the switchboard operator plug in those calls or arrange for long distance...

Grandma is nearly 100 and in my 50s she still makes me feel like a little boy... today its trips to her doctors and quarterly visits to the dentist for our cleanings... I wouldn't have it any other way...

I just took my grandkids on our first Grandma/Grandpa vacation to Florida... funny you should bring up the subject - Thanks!

Jay

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Senior,

Does this bring back memories? Desert Inn Miami, 1961
    mixer_2008_030387.jpg

4. senior smoke

Mixer:
    That's it, in fact we would usually sit on the left side right outside our room. Only problem was the noise at night of people swimming when we were trying to sleep. Thank you for the picture.

A few years ago, I took my wife to Miami beach and we walked on the beach in back of the Desert Inn. It was really run down, and I don't even know if it was still open?
    Steve

5. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

I have researched the entire search feature, sent out a survey to regular TS.com participants, prayed to Jesus for truth...and the results are in.

This is the stupidest post in the history of the site.

But I'm sure I join all readers when I say we're sure glad you got a huge piece of pie in Florida. Gee, that was special...and we're glad to hear your grandma was morbidly obese.

6. senior smoke

The Literalist:
    It's one thing not liking my post, not liking me, but in my opinion you are way out of line when you say nasty things about a woman who is deceased. All I can say is that I am certain that your parents would not approve of your comments. Shame on you.
    Steve Balistreri

7. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

Steve, YOU are the one who said she was four-foot ten and 280 pounds. I think you posting THAT was pretty impolite and disrespectful. Why would TS.com readers want to know how fat your grandma was?

I stand by my stated opinion on your thread.

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Literalist, I think its time to take your Meds, before someone has to call your Doctor!!! Oh Yeh, I was taught when I was a young lad that if you don't have anything nice to say, Don't say anything at all!!! Nice pix there Eric. Miami was a different town back in the 60's. Makes me wish I could have seen more of it. I do remember going to all the tourest traps on US 1. Monkey Jungle, Parrot Jungle, The Serpentarium (snakes), and a couple of others that I forgot. Does anyone remember the ones I missed??? Part of the Good Ole days and happy childhoods!!! Thanks for trip down memory lane. break em all Jeff

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Steve, Just for the record I may be a DUMBA$$ but I enjoy your posts. Bill

10. rpeerless

rpeerless Well-Known Member

Steve, I like reading your nostalgic posts. Women were all sizes back then especially on that beach behind there. Kids were taught in school that people came in all shapes and sizes and colors. We were taught to respect them all (and especially our elders) because it was what was inside that mattered... Maybe that's what is missed today.
    I was thinking what a nice read your stories might be if they were edited and compiled into a book. The stories give a good feel for the life and times of the 50's-60's and on. I guess that makes me a dumba$$ too :)!

11. TC

TC TS Member

There are some posters whose threads I will never open but I always read the ones that Senior Smoke writes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.