1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

membership question?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by no powder, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no powder

no powder Member

I have a question for members or management of organized gun clubs about how memberships are done? Are annual membership dues paid as per the clubs fiscal year, or if someone wants to join at an odd time, does their year go from date of joining? I'm trying to organize a club and would like input on how other clubs do this.
    Thanks for any input on this.

2. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

At the club where I was an officer we ran from January through December with a prorate per month of calendar that went by.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've seen both arrangements; pro-rated by month or quarter and "The price is the price." My current home club charges the full amount until somewhere around the last quarter when if you join during the last two months, it counts for the following year as well. It always seemed to me quarterly pro-rates made good sense but does involve some errors by the volunteer help. How you choose your fiscal year is wide open....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

4. no powder

no powder Member

5. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Our club does it the way BDodd club does. Our membership runs from 1/1 to 12/31. If you join in April you will pay full price and will have to reup by Jan 1. If you wait till after Sept. 1 you get 15 months of membership.

Which way is best? Depends on the membership secretary. I was secretary for a while and I just like to send out dues once a year. Do it once and get it over with.

6. texasaggie2000

texasaggie2000 Member

At our club, when you join you pay the full fees and that becomes your anniversary month. Then in the following year, that month is when your membership is due. We have it set up in the accounting system so that the club manager just has to push a button to generate the month's invoices for all those that are due.

7. no powder

no powder Member

to texasaggie2000
    Do you have any info on that accounting system? That method sounds foolproof!

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The Aggie's method does sound pretty ideal. However, I know there are clubs that prefer getting that shot in the arm (pun not intended) during the slow months of Dec/Feb. My current home club even throws a club/fun shoot right after the first of January that is very well attended and sure beefs up the treasury at a slow time......Bob Dodd

9. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Our club has an initiation fee and one year's dues (pro rated to run either through June or December)...plus, fifteen hours labor at a fine of $20/hour for any unworked..these are due by the annual meeting in Feb.

So, if you join in March, you pay through either June or December, and some even pay through the following June. If you join in the first quarter, you are obligated for the full fifteen..etc.

Kind of a hassle for the secretary to keep track of but better than the old days when the dues were due on the anniversary of your joining..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.