1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Meloxicam for dogs

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jimborn, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I have a prescription for meloxicam for inflammation. Can I use it for a 75 LB. Lab that has been showing signs of lameness. What dosage would be recommended. Mine is the pill form 7.5 Mg. and I see they have online suspensions for dogs, but could not find dosage for pill form Thanks Jim

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Your not serious? Even if they do make the same type meds for pets you could possibly kill your dog by giving it yours. The rule of thumb is to NEVER give a pet human meds and vice versa. Call your vet and ask them.

3. twostraight

twostraight Member

I get all my antibiotics at the feed store, you don't need a prescription.

4. Gunn

Gunn TS Member

I give my dog Metacam. Got a RX from the Vet and buy it over the net. It works better than the others for her. Tim

5. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

Kramer took Snickers medicine cause they had similar symptoms. We all know how that turned out.

6. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Yes, many medications are used in the same manner with dogs, as with humans. Antibiotics, topical applications,eye problems, and yes, imflamation of joints, hips and such. Just wondered if anyone out there had used what I asked, if it worked, and what dosage was used in that application. The jury is still aout there on Rymadil. The Amoxocillin that has been prescribed to my pet, is the same exact drug given to me by my Dr. just in a different dosage. Check online, you will find that what I asked was a valid question to someone out there that has used it, and how it worked, on their pet. Question is probably over many heads, including mine, that's why I asked, there is an answer.

7. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Jimborn is correct, I give my dog Lasix for his heart that is prescribed by the Vet. Unfortunately I don't know the answer to his question.

8. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I take Meloxicam. It is the best out there since Vioxx was removed from the market. However, some human medications are toxic to pets. Check with the vet first. He will probably try to sell you Rimidyl. I used it on one dog and it was magical but I have heard several horror stories from others who have had bad experiences with it.

9. Mark-in-Maine

Mark-in-Maine Member

Please be careful with Rymadil. I looked into the drug and will not give it to my ten year old Golden Retriever. One of the side effects is sudden death. Google Rymadil. You will be shocked at how bad it can be.

regards,
    Mark

10. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Thanks guys, that's what I needed. Took in a 1 year old lab with horrible, scratching. Benedryl, (human stuff,) a change in food (Lamb and Rice) no corn gluten, a miracle was born. No more Benedryl, just same food daily, problem solved, but the Benedryl took the edge off, until the new food did it's magic, in about 6 Months, No problems. I want my family, who are dogs, and a lovely wife, to have every benifit that I do, I just had a question, and thank you for your input. Just feel sorry for one of my best friends to suffer, limp, and not be able to talk, I just want to help him. Thanks Jim

11. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

My sister has struggled with bronchitis for most of her life. Many years ago we were both struggling financially when she became ill. Not having medical insurance and knowing that tetracycline was typically prescribed when she had seen doctors before, I suggested the animal feed store. Before purchasing I called a Veterinarian friend and asked about the purity vs. Pharmacy prescriptions. His response was, not one bit of difference other than price.

Long story short, we bought what we needed at the feed store for a fraction of people prices and within days she recovered. Whinnies like a horse now but alls good.

Robert

12. wyomingcutthroat

wyomingcutthroat Member

The Merck Vet Manual was / is online. Don't know if Meloxicam in tab form is listed.
    Good luck in your search. No fun to sit by when our friends are hurting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.