1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

meeting your heros!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by new zealand trapper, Nov 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. new zealand trapper

new zealand trapper TS Member

Well today here in this shity wee country called New Zealand i got to watch and talk and also have a beer with my hero Todd Bender , he is a machine at skeet and i was so impressed with how he handle all the wee people that wanted to have something to do with him . Nothing was a problem to Todd and he went out of his way to help. And not be an arse like some of the big people can be ! Who is your hero and has he been this nice when you have meet them ?

2. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Come Stateside and meet some of our trap people, Leo and Phil K are two of the most approchable and nicest people you would ever want to meet.Most all the Big dogs here are that way

Bob

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Living in Wisconsin all my life, my heros as a child were members of the Milwaukee Braves and the Green Bay Packers. On the Braves, I met and played catch with Hank Aaron as he was a neighbor of my grandparents. He was always a nice to me as I would often play catch with Hank, his son, and my brother.

I also went to a Catholic grade school, as on one night our church had invited some of the Packers to speak to our congregation as a fund raiser. The ticket price was $2.00 at that time.

My father got hurt at work that year and had surgery and was in bed most of that year. Finances were tough and my mother worked as a nurses aid and could only afford to pay $2.00 for my younger brother to attend this function. It was a rainy evening and I walked my brother to our school. After he walked in I was waiting outside the door until the function would end, so I could walk him back home.

Just before the function started a man pulled up in a car and walked and opened the door for me to come in. He said young man are you coming in? I said that I didn't have the money to purchase a ticket. He put his hand on my shoulder and ushured me inside and told the adult ticket taker that I was with him.

That evening, he let me sit on stage with him and three other Packers for the evening. After the event was over I introduced him to my younger brother as it was raining heavily by that time. He asked us if he could drive us home as the weather was getting worse?

When we got home he walked to the door, and I introduced this Packer to my mother as he also talked to my dad for awhile. My mom made him coffee and offerd him something to eat.

When it was time for him to leave, my brother and I walked him to his car, and he handed me a $50.00 bill, and he said that I should give this money to my mother and tell her to purchase some food as my dad did not work this past year due to a work injury. $50.00 back in the early 60's was a great deal of money.

The man who showed me and my family a great deal of compassion that evening was none other than Vincent T. Lombardi.
    Steve Balistreri

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice story Steve. He was my hero growing up also. I liked him so much I changed from a Greenbay fan to a Redskins fan when he coached the skins. johnny Bench & Pete Rose came to Ft Wayne few times and I had supper with them. Also drank beer with Mickey Mantle every year when he would attend a yearly event that took place at my friend & Mickeys best friends bar in kendalville ( Shooks Tavern) Johnny was quite humble, pete was arrogant at times, Mickey loved everybody but did get quite drunk LOL

5. notquite27

notquite27 TS Member

A shitty little country, you say? I lived there (Frankton/Queenstown)for 3 years awhile back and thought that it was one of the best places on earth. The people are wonderful, and the flyfishing is heaven. I came back for the FITASC world shoot a few years ago, and NZ was just as good as I remembered. If you want really shitty, live where I do now...in New York!

I've known Todd for many years, and been in more than a few shootoffs against him...sadly, not too successfully. Watch him...he can put a big dent in a square of Steinlager's!

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

My hero's.

Just saying...

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good Answer Jim

8. cle

cle Member

Mr. Balistreri.....

Times have changed and not for the better. If Vince Lombardi put his hand on the shoulder of a young boy today the authorities and the MEDIA would be SCREAMING "Child Abuse, Molester, Predator."

And, you and your brother would never have gotten in his car because you would have already had every teacher you ever had pounding "Stranger Danger" into your head.

I know it's not the '50's & '60's and "time marches on." but we've let the culture and the world slide into Hell.

CLE RECTOR

9. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Sadly cle is right on about the world sliding to Hell, I'm glad I was born when people where a lot different than they are today ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

My older brother (Navy uniform) was hitch hiking from Los Angeles to our home in Northern California many years ago. Clark Gable and a friend picked him up and brought him to front door.

11. Westie

Westie Member

I know this is going to sound corny, but I am 63 years old and my heros are, and have always been my Mom and Dad. They did without so us kids could have something. I will be forever grateful to them and I'm sure many of you feel the same way about your folks. Very good thing to give thanks for tomorrow.

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

ditto on the comments by Westie... add to that, that sometimes the folks we meet today become our heroes of tomorrow...

Jay

13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Jay:
    How true.
    Steve Balistreri

14. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

My heroes are those that serve or have served every day,,,,not for fanfare, but because they care about others,,,,the nurse that works today so others can have dinner with their families (my wife); the young man in Afghanistan, getting shot at and honoring his country (my son); the cop on the beat tonight working the crowds of shoppers, stopping the wife beater who then beats on him, pulling over the car that is speeding only to find an idiot on dope who wants to shoot him (my friends),,,,those that bend over to help a crippled child, who push a wheelchair up a ramp,,,, and most of the people that I meet, who for no reason just serve or help their fellow man that is in need,,,,

but most of all the Veterans who served our country; who put their lives on the line, not for individual glory, but to serve America, who did so because of Honor, Duty and Love for America,,,,

Remember this Holiday season, those that have sacrificed for you and I; those who may be down on their luck; but most of all for the children that are hurting because mom and dad may be out of work.

God Bless.

15. Westie

Westie Member

Well said bigdogtx. And all God's children said amen!

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

My hero is -- and has always been -- Joe Paterno. I love everything he stands for but I admire him mostly because of his FOCUS. For 50+ years NOTHING stopped my hero from winning football games, making Penn State Great, and graduating students of the highest moral character -- 50+ years of single-minded FOCUS! Not even the knowledge that little boys were getting butt-raped right in his locker room could distract the quintessential man's man affectionately known as "JoePa."

We should build a statue of this American Hero, while he's still alive and serving as a blessing to our otherwise imperfect world.

Until then, let's all say a little prayer to individually thank God for upstanding Americans like JoePa.

-Gary
    gw22_2008_030390.jpg

17. mtneer88

mtneer88 Member

I hope that the one on Paterno is a joke. That has to be the sickest post that I have ever seen. Paterno is a disgrace and deserves to be remembered for what HE allowed to happen under his nose.

18. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sick? Obviously you're not a football fan, or a true American. Have you no values?

-Gary

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Heck that's tame by TS.COM standards.

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I know. What an overreation. The dude has no concept of the importance of BigTen football.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.