1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Meet My Neighbor

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BMC, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BMC

BMC Member

Interesting turn of events in the small town I live in. Wonder where the tunnel goes.

2. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

That spokesperson is a moron. Cartridges are not as dangerous "cooking off" as if fired.

3. dcan67

dcan67 TS Member

I wonder when rifle bullets exploding in a fire started going the same vol. as if fired from a rifle?
    Another well informed Govt. official.
    Don

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

What a dummy.

The only thing that is actually dangerous in this situation is somtimes the primers will pop out fast enough to break skin (or so I'm told.)

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

It would appear that the BATFE does not require its agents and spokespersons to know how to read or research. The quote below is only one of numerous similar test results available on the web from reputuable sources (but then again what would the U.S. Army know about small arms ammo, especially compared to the all knowing all powerful wizards of the BATFE?) I found this one in about 30 secsonds of searching.

I do not know which is worse, a bubble headed BATFE agent lying to the public or the news reporters who are to lazy to even bother checking facts.

"Major General Julian Hatcher conducted numerous tests on what happens to small arms ammunition in fires and documented the results in Hatcher's Notebook, published in 1947. If the cartridge is not in a strong steel chamber, he wrote, there is no pressure behind the projectile to force it out at a high velocity."

I recall seeing other test results where the bullet would not even penetrate a cardboard box. Primers on the other hand would fly with sufficent velocity to damage an eye or break the skin. That is nothing at all like the same velocity as if fired from a barrel. The article also listed "75 pounds of black powder ammunition". Now is that 75 pounds of shell casings, bullets, primers and powder or is it 75 Rounds? If they mean to say 75 Pounds of Black Powder, that could be somewhat more dangerous but given the general lack of thought shown I really doubt that is was 75 Pounds of (actual) black powder. Heck, it might even have been 75 pounds of black COLORED (smokeless) gun powder but then what do we know when comapred to that same all mighty, all powerful wizard behind the government agent curtain?

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Lotza Zdumbos in other areas too I see? Hap

7. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

You do not want ammo going off in your safe. I have seen the guns after that had happened. The guns were TOAST. DO NOT PUT AMMO IN THE SAFE WITH YOU GUNS. He as far as I can tell did not break any laws. You can have a much ammo as you like. I think the people went off the deep end.

8. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

This guy probably spent his whole life trying to become a millionaire, but he isn't any longer.

I would also like to see which containers are holding this................75# of black powder.

9. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I don't know, and you are correct in that they will make it sound the worst possible.

From the million round thread-------USA Today.

"""""The man had no permit for 75 pounds of black gunpowder that was also recovered, Zamora said."""""""

10. SPD557

SPD557 TS Member

This guy's in trouble on 3 fronts.for having too much powder, and if his "assault weapons" are not registered correctly. If all that turns out ok They got him good by taking him as a mental. Now the state has the ability to keep all of his guns/ammo. He will have to get a lawyer and contest it in court. Most of the time they dont win. Then if he does the locals or who ever has the guns will do background checks on anyone that may be around the guns, if they find someone who they think isnt allowed they will not give them back and its back to court...
    Got to luv California!!!!!!

11. BMC

BMC Member

If he wouldn't have put up a fuss with the FD and NSD, we probably wouldn't have even heard about this. I only live about two miles away from that guy and I probably wouldn't have even heard about it.
    The NSD came here once when a neighbor said they thought they heard a gunshot from the direction of my house. When they arrived (side arms drawn I might add), I was spraying weeds on the side of the house. They asked if I heard any gunshots and I told them I heard a backfire on the freeway behind the house, maybe a tire blow. They asked if I had any guns and I told them sure, I have a safe full and named them off for them. I told them I would show them to them if they would like. They said that's okay, don't worry about it, it was probably just the freeway like you said. And down the road they went.
    Even though I didn't do anything that warranted their attention, had I acted like a idiot, they could have "found guns, thousands of shells and powder in the garage", though that is but a scratch on the surface of what this fella possessed.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Did any trapshooter who reloads in Commifornia catch this part?<br>
    <br>
    "The only illegal items investigators have identified so far are two assault rifles, several high-capacity magazines and 20 pounds of dry and black powder. It is illegal to possess more than one pound of powder, he said."

13. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

There ain't no defense against stupid/liberal (synonomous).

Buz

14. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

I thought I was bad. In order for me to have the powder I have and still go by city ordinances. The neighbors on both are storing 25# kegs of powder for me. As I can only have that much on my property at one time.

The city has not gotten around to addressing the amount of ammo on property issue ,YET.

Rock

Jim

15. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

Sounds like the households of every shooter I've ever met.

"what if the powder or rounds caught fire - it would level the neighborhood"

What a crock of bullshit

It BURNS

You'd have one helluva roman candle that would last a few seconds. Unless the powder gasses are allowed to be compressed - this is why OSHA/NFPA standards call for no more than 50 lbs at a time to be stored at dry, cool conditions in
    a WEAK WALLED wooden container rather than strong, steel containers.

The ammo would burn and burst like popcorn. Primer fragments can cause eye injuries and the bullets, even if pushed out of the cases wouldn't generate the veolcities to cause real harm. The cases would be uncontained, would bulge, split and that would be about all.

16. Steve-CT

Steve-CT TS Member

There is more danger in a typical garage from stinky gas cans and leaking aerosol cans of solvents and cleaners and worn WIRES from shop bulbs than from
    gun powder and ammo.

How many neighborhood garages are filled with crap like that, some of it 20 and 30 years old with rusted can bottoms?

17. 682LINY

682LINY Member

there is more danger from the uninformed spreading disinformation , to the uncareing masses,and there own agender, than from all his guns and amunition

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Hysterical reaction by uninformed idiots are normal in this society. It gets worse when the idiots are Media.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.