1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

mediocrity legislated?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by al3526, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. al3526

al3526 TS Member

for a second year money has been removed from my 401k and returned to me. i have yet to put in the full amount allowed by law ($16,500)as it seems that there is a rule in effect that mandates all contributions fall into some kind of bell curve. They (the fund to which i contribute) stated to me that i contributed substantially more than my co workers. Has anyone had this happen to them? it seems that because others fail to prepare for retirement i must suffer as well. the money is taxed as it comes back to me as income and if i reinvest it into a IRA it will be taxed a second time upon withdrawl. help al

2. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

What about a Roth IRA?

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Sorry Al, the same dog bit me some years ago when I was still working. Ostensibly, the irrational reason is that in addition to the $16,500 limit, there is another limit concerning the average amount of all contributors to the 401K. The top limit at that time was $2000, but being in the "Highly Compensated" class, I was allowed even less. I suggest you take the amount they returned to you, pay the taxes on it and put it into a Roth IRA.

Buz

4. al3526

al3526 TS Member

it seems today that the govt is more likely to hinder those that take the initiative to prepare properly and do the right thing. i will most probably pay the tax on the funds and apply the balalnce to my mortgage. that is before im penalized for paying that off early too. thanks for the help al

5. al3526

al3526 TS Member

i belive that the roth ira are capped at a particular income level. thanks al

6. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Alfermann has the right advice,I think. By the time Obama gets done screwing around, the tax rate will be on a par with Sweden's, and you'll have next to nothing left of your money! Better off to bite the bullet now and pay the lower rate.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The Gubmit does not want money in 401K's, they want it circulated in the economy. Remember when Pelosi made the comment about taxing 401K's? There is a huge amount of money in 401K accounts and they have their eyes on it.

8. al3526

al3526 TS Member

forgive me for not being a model citizen. i should have lied about my income and purchased a house i could not afford and be up to my eye balls in credit card debt. i keep thinking about a comment posted here that stated: "a govt that takes from peter to pay paul can always count on the support of paul." al

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

With regard to paying the taxes now and putting it into a ROTH IRA, there is no guarantee that future legislators and administrations will not change the law and tax it again. They are trying to inflate the currency to tap the savings and retirement accounts now.

10. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

al3526,,,,the income cap was taken off this year for conversions to a ROTH....

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Liberal politicians = thieves. It's just that simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.